Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
SallySyrup
SallySyrup began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Vista stopped recognizing PRS300

It was working fine the other day. Now when I plug it in its not recognized and a pop up says it has malfunctioned and that no drivers can be found for it. I tried reformatting the memory, different USB port, no luck. When I press the reset button in nothing happens except the screen freezes and the system becomes unresponsive. After toggling the power switch it will start working again.
SallySyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallySyrup View Post
It was working fine the other day. Now when I plug it in its not recognized and a pop up says it has malfunctioned and that no drivers can be found for it. I tried reformatting the memory, different USB port, no luck. When I press the reset button in nothing happens except the screen freezes and the system becomes unresponsive. After toggling the power switch it will start working again.
I don't mean to sound condescending. Have you rebooted your computer without the device plugged in?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I've had a similar problem with one of my computers. It essentially happens to every device that also tries to charge off the computer. I suspect that it has to do with the power those ports are capable of supplying and, in my case, my power supply being right at the edge of what was necessary to run all of the components in that box. Interestingly, if I reinstall windows and, prior to installing any extra hardware drivers, attempt to use the device it will connect just fine. That sort of confirms the theory in my case.

If going to a different port didn't help, try another computer. Otherwise, one option may be (and I haven't tested this myself), getting a usb hub with an external power source.

Best of luck and let me know if anything works out.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
SallySyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I don't mean to sound condescending. Have you rebooted your computer without the device plugged in?
Yep I have
Old 02-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution is to upgrade to Windows 7.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
SallySyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B_IX View Post
I've had a similar problem with one of my computers. It essentially happens to every device that also tries to charge off the computer. I suspect that it has to do with the power those ports are capable of supplying and, in my case, my power supply being right at the edge of what was necessary to run all of the components in that box. Interestingly, if I reinstall windows and, prior to installing any extra hardware drivers, attempt to use the device it will connect just fine. That sort of confirms the theory in my case.

If going to a different port didn't help, try another computer. Otherwise, one option may be (and I haven't tested this myself), getting a usb hub with an external power source.

Best of luck and let me know if anything works out.
The other computers in the house have XP and windows 7. Not sure If that will matter. I just picked up a psp charger. It says it has a full battery but I have never charged it. And it was only plugged into my computer for a few mins before.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
You can certainly try with windows 7, but in my case the computer acts the exact same way with 7 as it did with vista. I switch between a linux computer and windows 7 all of the time for book transfers, so the reader itself shouldn't care.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
SallySyrup

Its working now after charging with the PSP charger for a bit. I guess I have a defective battery indicator that will always show my reader is fully charged.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
The solution is to upgrade to Windows 7.
Do u Have personal experiences with that ..
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote