Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Puzzled by contrast variations in e-ink

I saw 2 Sony 300s that were sharp and had good black letters.. then tonight I saw one that was washed out.

Likewise my device is a touch on the washed out side as well.

You'd think the manufacturer could use a laser or something to tell what the contrast is on the screen when adjusting it.

There seems to be a lot of variability.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
ooh. i noticed that one too.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I saw a demo of the first Sony LIBRIé in Japan-the text was black, and the background was actually white, not grey/offwhite like the current e-Ink screens I've seen since. Very high contrast!

Didn't know that variances in contrast were an issue with the new e-Ink screens.

Last edited by kjk; 12-14-2009 at 11:40 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:53 AM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Well variation is not that big actually. There's some variability in black density, and some variation in the amount of residual black on general pageturns, but the base white is pretty consistent across Vizplex, and the black never really gets dark (I don't have any real numbers to cite a variation range, but probably less than +/-10%). On some readers, the black density can be tuned a little, which I believe is sometimes done for static display models, but usually comes with serious side-effects (more extreme ghosting for example) and still never reaches anything close to "black".

What most people actually see are lighting effects and reflections. If the device is reflecting a dark surface, it'll show both a darker black and a darker white, but the overall contrast will appear higher. If a white surface is being reflected, the white will appear whiter but the text will seem grayer and more washed out.

Another thing is that oblique point lighting combines with the silver reader's surface in particular to create an interesting optical effect. When held at certain angles, the sandblasted metal casing will scatter or reflect light away from the eyes (thus appearing darker), while the Vizplex will retain its reflectivity. Since the brain "knows" the case is a silverlike metallic material, it interprets the white state of the e-ink to be much brighter.

No e-ink device really has high contrast, a white white, or a black black. The eyes can be cheated into thinking so under some conditions, but the screens never really are white and black, nor have they ever been.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whitebg2.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	41297   Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbg2.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	41298  
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote