Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #46
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I think that what there was, a few days ago, was a post from someone who, in talking about why Kobo would NOT announce a time frame, used Saturday as an example. I wish I could remember who ...
I would be the guilty party on the 1st page of this thread. To quote myself:

In fairness to Kobo: if they say "We hope to have it fixed by 5pm EST Saturday" and it doesn't show up by then, by 5:01pm EST Saturday there will be multiple posts from people dumping all over them for being late/calling them liars etc even though they said HOPE not GUARANTEE.

As Taming said, this was an example of why they DON'T release a date/time.

Last edited by robko; 07-16-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #47
Paul Evans
Paul Evans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Please relax... There is NO issue at all with Calibre and the Touch 2.0.0. Just go the Calibre Preferences "dialog" look for the Advanced section at the bottom, then Plugins, expand the line that reads Device Interface Plugins, select Kobo Reader Device Interface and then Customize, and finally, on that screen select the option Attempt to support new...

Or if you're not happy with that solution, downgrade Calibre to the previous version.
I've followed all of these steps and at least now Calibre has put the green ticks back next to the books currently on my Kobo. However, after going through the "Send to Device" steps, and then disconnecting my Kobo from the computer using Calibre, my new books DO NOT APPEAR anywhere. Is there another step that needs to be done in order to then be able to view Calibre books using this new Kobo firmware?

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #48
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No idea... I have no issues at all with my Touch and Calibre and sending books..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #49
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I did have problems with books that were there but without images when I had deleted the books via Calibre. Transferring books seems to work for me.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #50
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just as an experiment (and yes... the things we do to help others)... I just did a factory reset / deinstall Kobo Desktop / reinstall / reconfigure.

No issues at all (apart from having to call Adobe to get my activation count reset).

Order was:
  1. FInal sync of Kobo Touch
  2. Factory reset (and nashing of teeth)
  3. Log out from Kobo Dekstop
  4. Deinstall Kobo Desktop
  5. Reinstall Desktop and configure
  6. Plug Touch in to PC and go through setup in Desktop
  7. Wait while 2.0.0 gets reinstalled
  8. Reactivate with ADE
  9. Launch Calibre
  10. Transfer 242 books to Touch; let it do it's processing

Result... all books now on device.

Only 5 books have images shown in the .kobo\images directory; these are the 5 on the front page; other images are extracted / created as needed in 2.0.0.

I have calibre 8.60 configured in the Device Interface module to attempt to support new .., and not to upload covers. Also, in Sending books to devices I have Metadata management set to Manual management and the Save Template to {author_sort}/{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}.

All this is being done with a Metadata plugboard active of {series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

Last edited by PeterT; 07-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #51
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
@Paul Evans ... I followed Peter T's instructions and have had no problem loading books from Calibre with 2.0 on the Touch. I assume you did the "Eject" when you say "and then disconnecting my Kobo from the computer using Calibre".
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
calibre supported versions

I posted this in the calibre forum at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185229, but I will repeat it here as this is a good place for it.

Quote:
Checking my Kobo Touch and backups of the database I have made for the firmware and DBVersion:

- Firmware 1.9.17 has DBVersion 50
- Firmware 2.0.0 has DBVersion 53

I have another older database with DBVersion 36. I think this is from firmware 1.9.16.

calibre is looking for DBVersion 33 (line 30 of devices/kobo/driver.py).

I am using calibre 0.8.60 with firmware 2.0.0 with no problems so far. Looking at the code for the driver, it isn't looking at the changed parts of the database. I did turn off the loading of cover images as the new firmware handles this better than the old. I also have the "Metadata Management" set to manual so I don't think calibre attempts to write to the database at all.

I'm hoping someone takes up the challenge to update the driver. There is a couple of things that would be good to do. Bookshelves were added with 2.0.0 so it would be nice to be able to use these.
Someone has raised bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+...3?comments=all. The Kobo device developer for calibre has stated he won't be able to do anything for a few weeks. Maybe someone else will.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #53
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
To pick up from a two-month-old problem of Calibre not recognizing my KT when 2.0 was installed and I got that scary warning (see post #1), I'd like to report that Calibre now does, but no thanks to Calibre and its programmers and fans.

Here's what happened. In all the instructions in this thread and elsewhere about enabling the Kobo Device Plugin, it turned out that all the plugins were by default enabled and in selecting that plugin, I unwittingly disabled it.

How would I have guessed that Calibre was calibrated already for the BOEYE Box, JetBook Mini, Nuut2, ShineBook, Wexler, and a million ereaders not in my hand? Isn't the idea of a plugin that the user selects it and plugs it in to his software? I guess not.

So was the problem my brainware or Calibre's? Calibre Preferences/Plugins didn't say that all the device plugins were already enabled. However, if that was the case in mid-July, then Calibre 0.8.60 should have immediately recognized KT with 2.0. No?

Sorry to be, in my frustration with Calibre, aggravating about this issue to, among others, PeterT, in weeks past.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #54
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
To pick up from a two-month-old problem of Calibre not recognizing my KT when 2.0 was installed and I got that scary warning (see post #1), I'd like to report that Calibre now does, but no thanks to Calibre and its programmers and fans.

Sorry to be, in my frustration with Calibre, aggravating about this issue to, among others, PeterT, in weeks past.
I guess you'll be asking for your money back then?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #55
Astrobob
Astrobob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I posted this in the calibre forum at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185229, but I will repeat it here as this is a good place for it.

Someone has raised bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+...3?comments=all. The Kobo device developer for calibre has stated he won't be able to do anything for a few weeks. Maybe someone else will.
I believe you are mistaken. He didn;t say that he won't work on it; in the contrary he said:

It will be [able to manage KT with firmware 2.0]. Hopefully in the next week or two.

He might & might not be working, but that's up to him, but he comfirmed he's coming up with a solution.

Just wanted to clear it out
Astrobob is offline   Reply With Quote