Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: not updating screen refresh disappointin g overall?
overall disappointing 8 66.67%
other improvements compensate enough 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
not updating screen refresh disappointing overall?

do you think sony disappoints by not having updated screen refresh or do the other improvements compensate?
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, I don't understand the question. What's wrong with the way the Reader refreshes the screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, I don't understand the question. What's wrong with the way the Reader refreshes the screen?
There was one report of the refresh being the same speed as the PRS-500. I don't think it necessitated a poll just yet, but hey who am I to judge. Others have stated that the refresh is about twice as fast.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14485

Last edited by MikeF74; 10-05-2007 at 11:29 AM.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Must admit I'm quite happy with the refresh speed of the 500. I suppose it's always nice to have these things speeded up, but I don't think I'd be bothered about it one way or the other, to tell you the truth.

Are you unhappy with the speed of the refresh, hello?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
And what's up with the spaces?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm curious about the spaces thing too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Was wondering if this poll may be a bit early? How many people currently have both the 500 and 505? The only place I can find to purchase one is a Sony store or Amazon? I've had my 500 for 4 months and unless their are MAJOR upgrades, I can't see buying a new one.

I hold mine in the left hand so I like the page turner position. From the pics here on the forum, the screen is noticably brighter but $300 worth? I have no problems with the refresh rate on the 500 but I do like the alpha index for installed books on the 505.

All in all, I think I'll wait for the next evolution of readers after the 505.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
The only place I can find to purchase one is a Sony store or Amazon?
They should start showing up in retail stores today.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'm curious about the spaces thing too.
It is odd, like his keyboard is doing funny things (or he's got a keylogger interfering somehow). Plus, he's been cross-posting the same message into lots of threads, especially a request for a "Youtube of the entire process".

See his list of messages at... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sea...earchid=332532
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:11 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello View Post
do you think sony disappoints by not having update d screen refres h or do the other improvements compensate?
I cannot yet say if the screen refresh is faster then the 500 as I've not seen them side-by-side yet. What I may do is load up a book on the SD card and go into the style story to have a compare. But I really am not worried. I find the screen refresh on the 505 just fine. If you use embed fonts you still have the same slowdown as the processor calculates the new page. VizPlex is said to be faster, but I also think how that comes off is due to the software and how optimized it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
There are two videos online now Jon. It is rather obvious now that the 505 is about the same speed as the 500. I don't think it in any way is a dealbreaker. I'd still buy the 505.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote