Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Return of the Newton?

For the past 18 months, well-respected sources tell AppleInsider, a small team of Apple engineers have been at it again, this time tapping the company's revolutionary multi-touch technology as a foundation.

Externally, the mutil-touch PDA has been described by sources as an ultra-thin "slate" akin to the iPhone, about 1.5 times the size and sporting an approximate 720x480 high-resolution display that comprises almost the entire surface of the unit. The device is further believed to leverage multi-touch concepts which have yet to gain widespread adoption in Apple's existing multi-touch products -- the iPhone and iPod touch -- like drag-and-drop and copy-and-paste.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...he_newton.html
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Excellent find, Nate!

I'd love to see a new Newton -- I almost bought one the first time around, but I was ... not financially positioned to do so.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
wow....

hopefully the first version will have powerful software. It's one thing to write the gui to an iphone... it's a whole other matter to create a PDA operating system and app suite.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If they could only leverage their Newton technology as well as this multi-touch stuff... I know Apple still has the tech for HWR, they just need to put it to use!

I'm not sure 1.5x the size of the iPhone is very interesting, though. I really did like the Newton MP2x00 formfactor. I'll probably be sticking with my iLiad-- I think it's the closest thing to my old Newt that I've found since.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wouldn't it be funny if they call it the iFoleo!?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2007, 02:03 AM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
iNfopad? Nah, doens't really work

Still, whatever they call it, the fact that it's just rumoured to exist must be sending shivers (anticipation or fear) down the spines of anyone interested in the business. Can't wait...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 AM   #7
lexico
Lexicographer
lexico began at the beginning.

Device: IBM X 41 T, Samsung D500, Nokia N 800
Screen size

Hmm, at 720x480 it has less resolution than the Nokia N800 (800x480) and much less than the Sony and IRex devices. Not really up to it for reading?
lexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 AM   #8
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexico View Post
Hmm, at 720x480 it has less resolution than the Nokia N800 (800x480) and much less than the Sony and IRex devices. Not really up to it for reading?
It wasn't so long ago that the standard resolution for desktop monitors was less than that. (But yes, higher resolution would always be nice).
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 AM   #9
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Oh dear, this is causing a serious case of gadget lust!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I like the idea of the formfactor & size too. I think the major hang-up will be if it supports existing PIM systems; i.e., LotusNotes and Outlook. If not, it will be doomed to fail as no one will want to have to redo all their work in multiple programs; you know, these things are supposed to make life easier, not more difficult.

Looks to be a sweet device, let's hope that is it follows the iStuff line that it at least has a more durable enclosure and doesn't get all scratched up from being too pretty!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Clearly this is the future of computing that was announced when Apple got the Newton out. Technology for this new device is zillionfold what table computers were then. Hook this baby up to a dock and a bigger screen and all the software I use... I'd be sold and set for the (short)rest of my life.

Unfortunately they won't see things that way. Apple has taken an 'expendable toy' view of things, keeping you wanting for the next and next iteration.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It's bigger than the Toshiba PDA I read on now. I'd definitely take a look at it to replace my PDA... and especially if it's wireless-enabled for web and e-mail access.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
When they say that they offer web and email access is it cell based, Blackberry style?

I hope it doesn't mean a one company access like the iPhone!

BTW I heard on the news that they'll close the cracked phones with the next software update. Any word on that statement?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
When they say that they offer web and email access is it cell based, Blackberry style?

I hope it doesn't mean a one company access like the iPhone!

BTW I heard on the news that they'll close the cracked phones with the next software update. Any word on that statement?
Actually, they are threatening to brick the cracked phones with the next update.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The 720x480 resolution is strange, because 800x480 has become a standard for 4" to 7" screens. In any case, in landscape mode this is effectively half of a 720x960 screen - which is perfectly ok for reading. You just need two page turns for every one on an ~600x800 device (and there is no page turn delay). Or you can use automatic scrolling if you prefer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote