Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Interaction between device and Calibre book lists (e.g. Kindle collections)

I've searched for an answer to this particular question but haven't been able to find one.

When my Kindle is connected, I would like to be able to figure out a way to see - not manage or manipulate, but just see(so I'm not interested in the new plugin) - my existing Kindle collections in my Calibre book list. The Device book list has a column for collections, showing the collection to which a book belongs, if any; ideally, I'd love to have a similar column in the Calibre book list.

Is there a way to do this with custom columns? I.e., is there a way to create a custom column in the Calibre book list that refers to/works off a column in the Device book list? (so I guess it this column would be blank or even disappear when there's no device connected, just like the "On device" checklist column).

If not, more generically, is there a way to search, or select, from within the Calibre book list to accomplish the same thing (when the device is connected of course) - search terms referring to columns in the Device book list? Or a way to select or restrict to a group of books in the Device book list and then somehow "mirror" the search results/selection/restriction so the same group of books is selected in the Calibre book list? Any way at all to link/mirror searches between the two?

THere must be other situations in which this could be useful, especially in reverse, perhaps where you might want to do a search in the Calibre book list based on Calibre metadata and then capture those search results in the Device book list...
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there isn't
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Is this a feature that has the potential to be added - some way to communicate between the device and Calibre book lists?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the device view displays the list of collections on the device, beyond that, I'm not interested as personally I have calibre manage all my books, so I have no need to do on device management at all.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
jesscat
Groupie

Okay, maybe you're not interested in a more general feature, but I can't imagine I'm the only Kindle user who might be interested in at least being able to see a column in the Calibre book list that would *show* the collection even if no management of collections would be possible.

Considering existence of the "On Device" column in the Calibre view, clearly there is some "communication" going on; it seems from my position of ignorance that it could also be possible to have an (optional) column in the Calibre view that would show the Kindle collections in the Calibre view when the Kindle is connected. This column, like the On Device column, wouldn't have to permit any editing or management.

I know there are a lot of Kindle users who use Calibre, and most Kindle users use collections. I just came last night from a "Kindle party" where I did a two-hour presentation attempting to introduce Calibre to a large group of friends and acquaintances, all of whom are Kindle users. I explained that they can't manage their collections from Calibre and attempted to explain why, but I have wanted to at least be able to see my collections from within Calibre for a long time (for example, then I could easily create a custom column text column to mirror my collections, in case my Kindle crashes or something) and wasn't able to explain why this couldn't be done. Or are you saying it's not a matter of whether it could be implemented but just that it's a feature you're not interested in implementing?
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Jesscat, you might be interested in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118635

It's about a brand new plugin that lets you manage collections from Calibre. There are some limitations but it is being worked on. Some kinks are being worked out but it's working pretty well for me.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is already a device collections column in the device view in calibre that will show your kindle collections (but only for non Amazon files). Implementing it for amazon files would slow down connection times greatly and is not a trade-off worth making. If you want to see your kindle collections in calibre, I'd suggest using the calibre kindle collections plugin, then your collections on the Kindle will be automatically created from the metadata in calibre. Which makes having a view of the collections on the kindle pointless.

For even better automatic support for collections, get a SONY

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-06-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
jesscat
Groupie

I hadn't thought about Amazon files - I'm not interested in them, actually; I have very few of them.

But in any event, I'm going to give in and try out the plug-in. I really only wanted to see my collections, not actually manage them, but maybe I'll like doing it that way - I'm willing to give it a go. I wish Kindle weren't such a pain; for right now I'm pretty invested in it, and there are many things I like about it, so I'm not interested in switching to a sony.

Thanks though!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well you should try petitioning amazon to allow manipulation of collections over a USB connection. Then the kindle driver in calibre could become just as functional as the SONY driver.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
iwaddo77
iwaddo77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, in an earlier post you said

"There is already a device collections column in the device view in calibre that will show your kindle collections (but only for non Amazon files). Implementing it for amazon files would slow down connection times greatly and is not a trade-off worth making."

Just out of curiosity why are Amzon files so slow and cause such a problem?

Regards
iwaddo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Because for amazon files they are keyed off the ASIN, which is internal to the file and would require opening the file and reading its header to determine, instead of just using the filename. And anyway Amazon have decided to make collections completely unavailable over the USB connection in their newer devices.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
mshnryman
mshnryman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 2, Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Amazon have decided to make collections completely unavailable over the USB connection in their newer devices.
That is unfortunate...I used Calibre to manage my Collections on K2, but I recently switched most of my reading to the Touch, and it was a real disappointment to find out that they closed it up.

I've already made a few contacts at amazon and here's what I got: "I'll forward this to the Kindle team to make this feature available sooner."
mshnryman is offline   Reply With Quote