Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #211
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPod Touch 4; iPhone 4; Kobo Touch; Kobo Glo
The card was originally in my KTouch. I just turned the unit off, ejected it and stuck it in my Glo after initialization. It took a couple of hours to process, and then it seemed good. But then all the random rebooting started.

Its been pretty good today after the factory reset and re-install as mentioned. I've had 1 reset, but nothing else....
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #212
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
THANKS!
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #213
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I have been coveting the Glo but I owned one of the first Kobos and reading about all the resetting and problems I don't think I want to go back to that. I have had 3 Kindles and have never had a problem. none.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Kobo hasn't got it right yet if Amazon can. It is so frustrating because I want to shop in Canada. There is a Chapters down the street but it just doesn't make sense to me to buy something that will give me problems. *sigh*. I am impressed with the patience of those of you using Kobos.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #214
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Wrenn1 Do remember that people are far more likely to post WITH issues than if they have none....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #215
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

That's true. I also shouldn't base my judgement on my one Kobo and 3 Kindles. :-) Not good science.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #216
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Gar, this drives me up the wall. Dick Smith has its Kindles locked tight onto a bar-height ledge designed for walkies. I couldn't try one out at all - when I reached up to bring one down to my level, the security cable alarmed and drama ensued. And afterwards when I said "I'd quite like to look at the device" no one bothered to offer any sort of assistance - they just pointed out the security system and left me to it. Gotta love a business that shamelessly puts out the "NO CRIPPLES" sign.
This is probably part of the reason why Dick Smith has been having so many problems, and has just recently been sold off for only $20 million.

They make it difficult to purchase from them.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #217
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Actually it gives a message at the top of the screen when the battery is getting low and will need charging in a bit...not sure how long that started before my died, but at least it gives some warning...
Hmm, never saw that, maybe it was there and I never noticed it...
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #218
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I have been coveting the Glo but I owned one of the first Kobos and reading about all the resetting and problems I don't think I want to go back to that. I have had 3 Kindles and have never had a problem. none.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Kobo hasn't got it right yet if Amazon can. It is so frustrating because I want to shop in Canada. There is a Chapters down the street but it just doesn't make sense to me to buy something that will give me problems. *sigh*. I am impressed with the patience of those of you using Kobos.
Looks like lots of users are complaining about the Kindle Paperwhite too... So if this is your criteria, I'd hold off on buying one of those too...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #219
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
Hmm, never saw that, maybe it was there and I never noticed it...
wouldn't be surprised if you just missed it...it was in tiny writing...in the same place as "home" is written when on the home page, or where the time or % read is when reading a book....in the same font and size. didn't flash or anything either. definitely easy to miss.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #220
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
wrenn1, the Glo really isn't that bad.
It's a great reading experience, and even if the paperwhite was available here in the UK I'd go for the Glo due to epubs/SD card (I buy books from amazon and convert them to epub).
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #221
wrenn1
Addict

Thanks for the feedback. My first experience with Kobo must be painting my judgment. My neighbour has had endless nightmares with hers as well both original and two replaced. Since I had no headacne with Kindle I didn't want to go back to that frustration but I badly want to shop in Canada. I think I'll go to Chapters and actually try it out. Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #222
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I tried to go check out the Glo at our local Coles store yesterday (we have a coles instead if a chapters store here) to no avail. They had a display with 2 Kobo Touch and a Vox. I asked about it and was told they are hoping for a demo next week. Once the demo is in, if I would like one, they will need to order one which will take approx 2 weeks. They are not sure they will get a shipment in a figure those have gone to the larger markets. Anyways, if I want to play with one, I will have to wait a bit yet. Nice having all the user experiences here to read. I nurse my son while reading and am picking up my reader less lately. I would love a built in light. My son has a Kobo Touch but I use it more than him.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #223
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
wouldn't be surprised if you just missed it...it was in tiny writing...in the same place as "home" is written when on the home page, or where the time or % read is when reading a book....in the same font and size. didn't flash or anything either. definitely easy to miss.
But those aren't displayed when your reading, only if you center tap.
Does that mean the low power warning only shows up if you center tap?
If so it seems rather pointless, if I'm reading I almost never center tap...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #224
AndyBurns
AndyBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Touch
Dead-end in reading life

I have Reading Life turned off, but if I press the Reading Life link near the bottom right of the home page, I get "stuck" there, I can use the dropdown at the top to switch beyween Stats and Awards pages, can also go into settings, but shouldn't there be a link to home from there? Or even better don't display the Reading Life link when it's disabled, similarly don't disply Facebook options in other places unless I've entered facebook sign-on details in the accounts page.

p.s. The only ways out are to use the settings link to enable Reading Life, or to Power off/on.
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #225
XrXca
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post

I can't for the life of me figure out why Kobo hasn't got it right yet if Amazon can.
As others have said the problems are what you hear about, I have a dozen or so relatives and friends who are NOT computer savvy, and other than one DOA which was promptly replaced, have had no problems with their Kobo's.

If you think the kindle never has problems do a google search for "Kindle Locking Up"

I looked at both when I picked up my first reader, and saw little difference in the level of complaints. So I went with the option that didn't lock me into one company. (I buy my books from about 5 different sources)