Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #301
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
It's strange, if I can't reproduce the problem the support will close the bug classifying it as false-positive.
here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=dRmwCDaGSUI# from about 6:30 on you can see the "bug" they encounter during a page turn. only its not a bug just a momentary glitch compounded by the user who clicks bunch of times instead of being patient.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #302
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
people become impatient when something doesnt happen instantly and then they add to the problem by clicking again and again etc etc. like when something doesn't print the first time people try again and again and they then end up with 20 things in the print queue.
Maybe you are right. Maybe I just was lucky to deal with high quality devices (DXG, Sony T1, iPad 2) and it became NORMAL for me that things happen pratically instantly on them. So I automatically expect $500 JBC to be as fast as my other devices. Wrong expectation I can tell now. I guess this is the difference between high quality electronic devices (DXC, Sony T1, iPad 2) and the junk one (JBC). I just don't have enough patience to deal with this junk stuff.

By the way, can somebody please tell me (and prove this information): How fast is JBC's processor? I found somewhere on this forum that it is 800 MHz. But JBC's processor speed is not mentioned on JBC's specifications on Ectaco's website http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/. It is also not listed on JBC's box. And I really doubt if it is 800 MHz since my Sony T1 (also 800 MHz) is MUCH faster than JBC. And my DXG (532 MHz) is QUITE A BIT faster than JBC.

Thanks!

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-21-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #303
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Valentinka, I suppose you are no informatics.
Anyway MHz don't say nothing about speed if you compare two different CPU architectural speaking. Instead you have look at type, model and MHz and then see the benchmark test on internet comparing with other CPU.

According to me the speed depends first of all on software. Even on your computer there are, for example, several PDF reader or even Internet Browser that perform in very different way even if they run in the same machine.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #304
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
According to me the speed depends first of all on software. Even on your computer there are, for example, several PDF reader or even Internet Browser that perform in very different way even if they run in the same machine.
Not sure about this statement. The same version of Internet browser and PDF reader is MUCH faster on new PC with latest Intel processor, than on the PC with older and slower processor. This is the reason why people upgrade processors and other hardware on their PC. It is very noticable in PC gaming community when gamers want their games to run faster in order to enjoy more the games and be more competitive in their games.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #305
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Remember, the JBC has about twice to four times the amount of pixels to display compared to other readers!

It is about just as fast as my Sony PRS-505 with a 200Mhz processor (which has only 800x600 pixels, or exactly a quarter of the amount of pixels of the JBC)

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-21-2012 at 05:05 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #306
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
Not sure about this statement. The same version of Internet browser and PDF reader is MUCH faster on new PC with latest Intel processor
It's a false belive. There is a CPU influence of course, but when you "upgrade" the PC you often change motherboard (and so hw thing changes) and often people reinstall the Operative System and in this way they do a cleaning.

Quote:
It is very noticable in PC gaming community when gamers want their games to run faster in order to enjoy more the games and be more competitive in their games.
Oh games! Game is a world apart! I think there is no application can eat all hw resource as game do

But we are talking of eReader and that type of application can have a complexity like a Internet Browser at worse.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #307
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Remember, the JBC has about twice to four times the amount of pixels to display compared to other readers!

It is about just as fast as my Sony PRS-505 with a 200Mhz processor (which has only 800x600 pixels, or exactly a quarter of the amount of pixels of the JBC)
How about iPad 3 then with all its pixels and resolution? Nobody complained (yet) that iPad 3 is too slow

By the way, iPad 3 (its basic model) is priced exactly the same as JBC

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-21-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #308
mod186k1
Addict

iPad, iPhone iPod have iOS, one of the most performant Operating System in the world
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #309
Valentinka
Zealot

Still... Can somebody confirm (or not confirm) that JBC has 800 MHz processor? Please...
So much mystery was going around this device when it came to the market. No CPU speed mentionned in specs, fake pictures...

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-21-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #310
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
iPad, iPhone iPod have iOS, one of the most performant Operating System in the world
And why wouldn't Ectaco introduce (and install) even better OS in their new product (JBC), especially if they wanted to price JBC exactly the same as iPad?

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-21-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #311
mod186k1
Addict

I see over internet it should have a Freescale i.MX508 800MHz with ARM Cortex A8 CPU.
But I was unable to find an official fonts. Someone here is trying to open JBC to see inside
Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #312
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Valentinka,

standard ereaders must be light enough to hold them in your hands for long time, they must give you at least 20 hours of use without carrying a BIG and heavy battery, they cannot sport a powerful cpu because of harassing heat and battery consumption, they must be totally silent.

IF THEY ARE MEANT TO BE JUST READERS.

Last generation 800 mhz CPU are totally ok, IF the OS and the core apps are optimized. A more powerful cpu wouldnt suit any ereader, unless it's meant to do more than just ereading, like the enTourage edge (which isnt as portable as any other 9,7" device, and you need to carry a spare battery with you if you plan to surf or watch videos with it).

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-22-2012 at 07:28 AM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #313
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post

Last generation 800 mhz CPU are totally ok
But the question is: Does JBC REALLY has the last generation 800 MHz CPU (like you would think it should for $500) or not? So far nobody could confirm or prove it. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of mystery is going on around this device: its CPU is not mentioned in its specs, fake pictures on its specs, etc, etc,etc...

I think it makes sense to clarify what JBC's CPU speed REALLY is since JBC is VERY slow. You can observe how slow it is from the video the link of which Dulin's Books posted here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=dRmwCDaGSUI# from about 6:30. And this is what I experience with my JBC, too.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-22-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #314
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
But the question is: Does JBC REALLY has the last generation 800 MHz CPU (like you would think it should for $500) or not? So far nobody could confirm or prove it. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of mystery is going on around this device: its CPU is not mentioned in its specs, fake pictures on its specs, etc, etc,etc...
Who cares?
It's the software - as everybody should know by now ...

WHAT ABOUT THIS?

MAR
Brooklyn Technical High Adopts the Jetbook Color in the Classroom

on goodereader.com
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #315
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
WHAT ABOUT THIS?

MAR
Brooklyn Technical High Adopts the Jetbook Color in the Classroom

on goodereader.com
All I can say - poor students. They might have to spend most of their classwork time navigating through JBC instead of reading and learning. And these students's eyes with the light in their classrooms... I hope at least they don't have to pay $500 for their JBCs.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-22-2012 at 11:04 AM.