Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How has your spending on ebooks been since the agency switch?
The same; I am buying as many books as I was before 24 13.87%
Less; I have not bought as much as I would have before 131 75.72%
More; I have bought more than I would have bought before 3 1.73%
Other 15 8.67%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #46
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I've bought one book at $12.99. I kind of regret it now because I still haven't read it. It was a weak I gotta have it I own the series! moment and I justified it to myself by saying I was using one of the Target Sony cards.
I've bought several Random House books. Thank You Random House.

I've bought 4 Indie author books this month priced from $.99 to $2.99

I bought Nora Robert's newest book yesterday to share w/ my Mom ... Penguin but at $9.99. We'll have to decide about the Sookie Stackhouse book next week. For some reason my seventy-some year old Mother loves to read Vampire Chick Lit. I'll probably buy it and get it to her because there comes a point in life where when your Mom wants to read Vampire Chick Lit, you just have to bite your tongue and help her out.

As a family we've downloaded 9 books from our Library Overdrive system. My son is reading almost exclusively from there as they have much action and adventure.

I have NOT purchased David Baldacci, James Patterson, or Mary Higgins Clark recently. There's probably some others sitting on my Wish List but they just won't be buys at $14.99 or whatever and eventually I'll just delete them off.
Good job on helping your Mother out!!!

As for Mary Higgins Clark & her daughter Carol, good luck on FINDING any of thier ebooks. They were going to be next on my list to get. As well as trying to find the entire Anita Blake series from Laurell K Hamilton. I'm glad I got those before all this mess happened.

I have used up all of my Micropay except for 63 cents. And will just look for multiformats to read on FW.

However I did purchase the last 6 Fern Michaels Sisterhood series books from EZReads.

I'm prepared to wait this whole thing out. If worse comes to worse, I will spend my time converting all of my fan fiction (2000+) stories & putting them on my reader!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #47
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've only purchased a few multiformat books but I still have way too much Micropay left at Fictionwise. Currently, I'm working on my TBR list and will continue to do so until ebook prices head south.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #48
dmaul111478
dmaul111478 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Hasn't changed at all. Only have a Kindle, and I'd always pay no more than $9.99 for an e-book--and less if there was a cheaper paper back version available.

Thus far, I've had good luck and all the books I've wanted to buy have been the same or less than the paperback version on Amazon both pre and post Agency pricing.
dmaul111478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #49
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Less..

I purchased some books NOT published by the idiotic five since the prices are still the same :P
Some free downloads from Amazon since they are free..
Some "free from price hike" downloads from ****net.. :P

I know, it's wrong.. so what?
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #50
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Another thread on Mobileread pointed me to the Grimm Dragonblaster books by Alastair J. Archibald. I discovered they were in the Fictionwise multiformat section and managed to use up my outstanding Micropay. Phew.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #51
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Zero books, as the main author I will buy has not re-appeared in the bookstores yet.

I'd rather scan my PB's than buy a DRM'd book.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #52
Starearedkid
Starearedkid is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Before April 1st, I was buying about 4-6 e-books a week-a lot of them were copies of my favorites that I have loved to re-read.

Since then I have bought one book. For 12.99-a new release that I wanted.

It is just hard for me to fathom why all my books on my ebook list are more expensive than the paperback--or the same as the paperback.

Right now, I have tons and tons of books to read--so I am not lacking in anything. But, if the publishers really don't want my money--that is fine by me too!
Starearedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #53
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I just don't understand how eBooks can cost more than pBooks.

I can accept them costing the same, that way a rise in eBook sales doesn't take away from the sale of pBooks. However, for them to cost more is just ridiculous.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #54
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I'll just note that most of the books I've looked for have turned out to be at roughly paperback prices under the agency pricing; don't know what they were before. And my own Sunborn dropped to the paperback price on the day agency pricing kicked in. (Most of my other ebooks are under the old-style pricing still, and depending where you buy them, are either higher or lower than Sunborn's price.)

The biggest disruption to me is the loss of the full catalog at Fictionwise. And of course, the specials.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #55
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I'll just note that most of the books I've looked for have turned out to be at roughly paperback prices under the agency pricing; don't know what they were before.
I almost never paid full price for print books, when I was buying print books. I expect to be able to spend no more than the SAME thing I'd pay for print books (including whatever discount the retailer was willing to offer from their share of the cost).

So, yes, while some ebook prices have actually come down, being locked into paying the "cover" price means I'm not buying them.

I've happily paid the lower prices for the books I want that are "hardbacks" - just like I happily paid more before (but always, less than cover). I never had a problem paying a reasonable percentage of the going rate (usually between 15 and 25% less than cover).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #56
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
In April I spent about a quarter or less of the amount I usually fritter away on any book that takes my fancy.

Right now at BOB nearly every book that interests me is either not available or not available in your country.

I'm still able to buy Harlequin, Regency Reads and Baen. And I've found a few gems at Smashwords.

I haven't bought one paper book, and at Australian prices I'm not likely too. Also I hate the way so many books have print so close to the margin that you have to break the spine to get it open enough to read and it hurts my hands to hold it open.

Also I think I may need to upgrade my glasses. I love the way ereaders enlarge the font with one button push.

I'm finding new authors and new options and if the books don't come back soon at a decent price some authors will have lost my business for good.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #57
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
I voted other as I have not bought any books.

I will never buy any DRM infected book on principal, I will never pay more than what I consider a reasonable amount for an ebook (about 25% of paperback price).

I will continue to support indie authors and small publishing houses that I like, if they conform to the limits above. Anything I cannot get on my terms I will get from the darknet with no qualms.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #58
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yesterday, I wanted to get The Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro. (It is HUMOR, not horror) Prices ranged from $9.99 at Amazon to $17.99 at Sony. So I got it with the Kindle app, but will have to compromise and accept it's largest font, which is still not my most comfy hugeness.

This is the first book that I've bought outside of Smashwords in probably a year. The price range was not just baffling, it was downright stooopid. So publishers are beginning to accept ebooks as the future, and instead decide to alienate customers by making them search out bargains instead of having a favorite trusted bookseller, is that right?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #59
hapalochlaena
hapalochlaena began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Ebooks bought 1 year pre-agency: > 200
Paper books bought 1 year pre-agency: approx. 5

Ebooks bought post-agency: ZERO
Paper books bought post-agency: ZERO

Thank you for saving me all that money, publishers.
hapalochlaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #60
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Still waiting for wheel for time book 6 to be availible again.
So I'm reading some book my sister giffted me for christmas.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote