Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which of these two would you wish to discuss on July 20th?
A Night to Remember by Walter Lord 11 42.31%
Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England by Neil McKenna 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The voting isn't over yet, but in the event that Fanny and Stella wins (or even if it doesn't and you decide to read it anyway} you might be interested in a podcast by Neil McKenna in which he discusses the book.
Thank you! I'm looking forward to reading this in any case.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #32
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The voting isn't over yet, but in the event that Fanny and Stella wins (or even if it doesn't and you decide to read it anyway} you might be interested in a podcast by Neil McKenna in which he discusses the book.

Go to Books in the iTunes store; type in Fanny and Stella and the book will appear (NB both Kobo and Kindle are much less expensive}. Underneath the book will be "Podcast Episodes". Below that is a single podcast episode entitled "Neil McKenna: Fanny and Stella". Click on that and listen. It is quite interesting and free.

BTW there will be "spoilers" in the discussion and if you don't already know what happened perhaps you might prefer to wait until you finish the book before listening.
Thanks. i couldn't get to it via iBooks, but I found it in The Faber Podcast in the
Itunes store. I saw that the BBC World Service has lots of book podcasts in the World Book Club.

And Kobo didn't give me a price reduction. I think it's because I live in Europe.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Thanks. i couldn't get to it via iBooks, but I found it in The Faber Podcast in the
Itunes store. I saw that the BBC World Service has lots of book podcasts in the World Book Club.

And Kobo didn't give me a price reduction. I think it's because I live in Europe.
Hmmm. I live in Europe too but did get the discount. Perhaps that is because the Republic of Ireland is possibly linked to the UK store for Kobo--as is now certainly the case with Amazon.

I'll have to check out the World Book Club. It sounds like a good resource for exploring insights about books. Thanks for that information.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-30-2013 at 05:18 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
And it's Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England by Neil McKenna for the win. Not my first choice, but it could prove entertaining. Going to download it now. See you all on the 20th!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And the first thing I discover after downloading the book is that this same author wrote a book called The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde. Now that does sound interesting. Too bad it wasn't nominated. He was both a character and a literary giant.
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #36
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Sometimes once the nominations are in I can pick out the book that will probably win the month before the vote even begins. And then there are months like this. I would've never thought that Fanny and Stella would've won a vote or even come close, and I'm happily surprised. The timing is certainly apropos.

I will admit though that this is what I couldn't help but think of when I first saw the nomination:

Spoiler:

From Little Britain

I thought the selections in general this month were very good. I was most rooting for The True Believer or Stories from Rwanda, but quite a few of the nominations I'm very interested in and I'm happy with the winner. There were also three - A Night to Remember, Gulp and Sleepwalkers - that I wasn't particularly interested in at first, but upon seeing their high votes and reading the vote discussion, I read up a bit more on them and became interested in all three of those as well, heh. In the end I think I would've been interested in reading almost all of this month's nominations.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #37
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I agree, sun surfer - I didn't really expect that this one would win, but am looking forward to reading it. It's on order from the library and I should get it this week.

I did get myself The Sleepwalkers and plan on reading that before long - when I can slot it in between Book Clubs!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #38
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Here's a review from Kathryn Hughes in The Guardian with some pictures.

Now, Oscar Wilde had a secret life? I didn't know that. So what did he do in his secret life? Oh.. Nevermind.. Maybe I don't want to know actually.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
From the Pic Gallery.
Quote:
Fanny (standing) and Stella with Lord Arthur Pelham-Clinton, with whom Stella conducted a lengthy relationship (pic. 5)
My 1st thought was, "I see Bill wasn't the only Clinton to get into trouble."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
...Now, Oscar Wilde had a secret life? I didn't know that. So what did he do in his secret life? Oh.. Nevermind.. Maybe I don't want to know actually.
In his day all homosexuals outside of prison walls had a secret life. When his came to light he was tried for "gross indecency", convicted, and spent two years at hard labor.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #41
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Here's a review from Kathryn Hughes in The Guardian with some pictures.

Now, Oscar Wilde had a secret life? I didn't know that. So what did he do in his secret life? Oh.. Nevermind.. Maybe I don't want to know actually.
Judging from that review Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England appears to inhabit a gray area between fiction and non-fiction. That is based on a true story but well padded with speculation and/or made up stuff.

Quote:
"Extrapolate" is the key word here, though. For letters, no matter how intimate and fine-grained, rarely tell the biographer the thing he longs to know: the moment his subject sighed, or felt a lurch in his guts, or longed to be somewhere else entirely. And, although McKenna scrupulously uses the sources when he's got them, at those points where the archive runs out he allows his imagination to take over. Using free indirect speech he ventriloquises Stella and Fanny's inner worlds, creating a camp stream of consciousness in which the two young men think and function as lascivious women.
Well rum, sodomy, and the lash it should be an interesting and topical [for Americans] read.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 07-01-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #42
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
While this vote was going on I was thinking about Walter Lord's book A Night to Remember and about how I couldn't imagine putting myself through the details around the Titanic disaster.

But it turned out, the novel I was reading used the Titanic as a central image and provided many of the details, even referencing Walter Lord's book several times. At points I felt the horror of the ship sinking.

You can run, but you can't hide.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #44
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Stalked by an ocean-going liner - pretty scary!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote