Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
angrymnky
angrymnky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Basic calibre to kobo help

I have my calibre library of ebooks ready to transfer to my glo but I'm wondering the best way to go about it and haven't figured it out after some thread reading. Would be grateful for some help or direction.

My calibre library has folders with the epub, opf and jpg files for each book. Is this fine - does it matter?

I have read the method of connecting your kobo and using calibre to send the books over but I seem to remember reading some people saying to do it manually for less potential problems.

I have changed metadata and covers and taken out paragraph spacing so will the changes be in the epubs that are transferred? Or does that only happen when you convert them?

And I have changed the options for sending books to disk (to not to save the cover/metadata separately) but are there any other important settings I should change?
angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
To answer part of your question, I always use Calibre's "Send to device" option, so it doesn't matter where the books are stored, Calibre looks after all that. I would not recommend manually trying to copy the files.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Your choices are:

1) Use calibre to send to the device. When doing this, calibre will make sure covers and metadata are up to date. It can also use plugboards to make changes some metadata. It can also create shelves and update the series info. When you next connect, calibre will know what books are on the device.

2) Use calibre "save to disk" to put the books directly on the device. This can also make sure the metadata is updated. At the next connect, calibre can attempt to match the books on the device to the calibre library, but this isn't always accurate.

3) Open the folders calibre uses to store the its library and copy the books over to the device. The metadata and covers will not be the latest unless you have done a conversion or used a plugin to update them.

If you are using calibre to manage your books, use the first option. I don't know of any problems in recent calibre versions and the 2.x.x firmware. I think people who are saying to maintain the books on the device manually, are also not using calibre for library management.

I recommend putting a few books on the device and seeing how it goes. If you don't like exactly what happens, you can tweak things before putting the next batch on. If you have a problem doing this, report it so it can be fixed or explained.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
angrymnky
angrymnky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Thanks for the replies. I'll try using calibre to transfer and manage and test it out.
angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote