Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Would you mind editing your posts and putting the list of errors inside "spoiler" tags, please? It'll make this thread an awful lot more readable (and much, much shorter!)

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I admire your tenacity. If a book has that many errors, I stop reading.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #33
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would not even begin reading it if the amount of errors renders the experience unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #34
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
The last buck I red I gave up righting them down after a phew page's because it was every word in ten.

Fortunately the wrong words sounded the same as what they were supposed to be in my head, so it was just a case of getting used to it.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #35
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Ditto. I'm not going to waste my time recording what makes the reading experience a hardship instead of a pleasure. If I buy an ebook that has horrendous spelling/grammar/formatting errors, then I'm going to put the review up on the site where I bought the ebook so other won't make the same mistake.

If the ebook is one I received from another source, then IMO, them's the breaks.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #36
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@Mr. Ploppy.
Now you are scaring me. Have you been keeping copious notes or is this all found in the last day or so?

I read 3-8 books a week and have seen as many errors as you show in one book(many more in a few cases), but I lack the patience to methodically write them down.

I appplaud your efforts to bring these errors to the attention of the authors, but many will think "I have 5000 customers who aren't complaining why should I listen to the one who is even if he is right". No sense of pride.

But.... I would not myself spend the time to correct a book I am reading. I will carry on, ignoring the typo's etc. or just stop and read something else.

Another but.... If you and others make this more public, even via this forum, it might turn the tide.

Anyway up the revolution

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
@Mr. Ploppy.
Now you are scaring me. Have you been keeping copious notes or is this all found in the last day or so?

I read 3-8 books a week and have seen as many errors as you show in one book(many more in a few cases), but I lack the patience to methodically write them down.
These aren't written down. What Mr Ploppy's posted is the "My Clippings" file from a Kindle. You simply highlight the text on the screen; the Kindle does the rest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #38
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I know Jon does and says some controversial things sometimes, but from my point of view, he is always interesting, whether or not I agree with him. I've haven't downloaded an ebook, yet, that did NOT have errors. Most of the time, I can ignore them, because I have rarely read a hard copy that did not also have a few errors.

If I were going to start listing errors, I would start by downloading my own books and list the errors in them. That is why I am presently reviewing my books. Hopefully, the revisions that I upload will have less errors. I would point out that it is much easier to fix errors in my book that can be downloaded from Feedbooks versus those that can be downloaded from Smashwords or Amazon.

I wonder sometimes. Do people download my books and fix the errors? Do they change the sentence structures? Do they change the wording or change particular words that they don't like? Perhaps someone has actually gone to the trouble to change the ending. Inquiring mine's want to know.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I wonder sometimes. Do people download my books and fix the errors? Do they change the sentence structures? Do they change the wording or change particular words that they don't like? Perhaps someone has actually gone to the trouble to change the ending. Inquiring mine's want to know.
I would not bother to change an eBook other then to fix errors. Heck, I had one eBook where the author posted that there was an error (from the publisher) that slipt through and I was able to correct it before reading while the pBook was released with the error. take that pBooks.

But I would not do more then change what is an error. If I didn't like the story enough that it needed an new ending, I would not recommend it to anyone.

Tomorrow I will be posting an eBook with an error. So far all I've found is one error. It's in a Star Trek eBook where not too long ago, the errors were not only in the text, but with the embedded fonts. Now, the seem to be pretty well formatted and the number of errors have dropped a lot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #40
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I know Jon does and says some controversial things sometimes, but from my point of view, he is always interesting, whether or not I agree with him. I've haven't downloaded an ebook, yet, that did NOT have errors. Most of the time, I can ignore them, because I have rarely read a hard copy that did not also have a few errors.

If I were going to start listing errors, I would start by downloading my own books and list the errors in them. That is why I am presently reviewing my books. Hopefully, the revisions that I upload will have less errors. I would point out that it is much easier to fix errors in my book that can be downloaded from Feedbooks versus those that can be downloaded from Smashwords or Amazon.

The more pertinent question would be how many people gave up on it at the sample stage because of the number of mistakes. Maybe everyone is so used to all the errors in ebooks and paperbacks these days that they don't notice them? I don't know, but if I ever read one that doesn't have any I'll be talking about it for months, even if it's a crap book.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #41
MCSmarties
Enthusiast
MCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I like it, but...

I like the idea very much, but instead of an indiscriminate thread it may be better to build a "database", maybe in wiki format. However,
  • define "error". Do you really want to track every OCR error?
  • what about the version/format/vendor of the ebooks?
  • of course this should only track official, legal versions - not any, ah, "darkspace" creations

Most importantly, what is then to be done with such a database?

Have every reader fix his own ebook? (which requires DRM circumvention )

Report it to the publisher? (who will of course gladly allow customers to download the "fixed" edition free of charge... not! )

Directly make the corrected versions available... that would be ideal but will immediately be shut down as piracy.

A special case may be "lost" sections / paragraphs. \

I just posted an example from Patrick O'Brian's Aubreyad series here (it may be irrelevant if the ebooks are fixed...somehow I doubt it).
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #42
Rhialto
Enthusiast
Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I fix my own book if it is one that I really want to be able to read and re-read with pleasure. I have few e-books that have such errors and that I liked enough to want to polish.

I agree that this thread would be better served by some database.
Rhialto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #43
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSmarties View Post
Report it to the publisher? (who will of course gladly allow customers to download the "fixed" edition free of charge... not! )
Well, for Terry Goodkind fans, according to http://www.terrygoodkind.com/theoracle/ebooks/#better (under "updated content") you can get free swag for reporting errors in his ebooks. (I only happened to see that while investigating after noticing the related thread in News.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is my first error report. It's small enough not to need a spoiler.

Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by David R. George III

Chapter 13: Fourth paragraph from the end of the chapter
use less should have been useless

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-10-2012 at 01:22 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #45
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is my first error report. It's small enough not to need a spoiler.

Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by David R. George III

Chapter 13: Fourth paragraph from the end of the chapter
use less should have been useless
Well if you're going to be that picky ...

take for ever
==========
Joe and Me (David Moody)
- Highlight Loc. 251 | Added on Monday, June 18, 2012, 10:46 PM

moved in to
==========
Joe and Me (David Moody)
- Highlight Loc. 560 | Added on Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 10:41 PM

run in to