Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Metadata Comments - Is it useful?

Other than Calibre I don't know what uses comments in the metadata, is there an ebook reader that uses these things?

It could be useful if you are trying to remember what the book is about.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
Other than Calibre I don't know what uses comments in the metadata, is there an ebook reader that uses these things?

It could be useful if you are trying to remember what the book is about.
Push the information button/about menu item on many readers

Much of the metadata is shown to the user
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The comments can be very useful if you are browing the contents of your ebook library online.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting. What readers have this button?

My Kindle doesn't.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
My Sony doesn't support metadata descriptions either and when I last used the official firmware on the Nook Color, neither did that.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting. What readers have this button?

My Kindle doesn't.
I know I have seen it (the choice) on the K4 (it was a menu item), but when I borrowed the K4 from my wife, the book she was reading did not have it.
On my PEz while reading the book: I press Menu: then 8

This gives standard Metadata.

The Calibre Jacket (just another 'section' in the book), has it all showing
(if not disabled).
Old 03-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle "book description" menu item only shows info from the Kindle store, so you have to be connected. It is not displaying metadata.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The Kindle "book description" menu item only shows info from the Kindle store, so you have to be connected. It is not displaying metadata.
WiFi is currently OFF (and the Access point is unplugged. when not needed)
That accounts for the why I could not see something right now.
TNX
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
LordP
Zealot

So. I don't really have to hunt for a thorough/deatiled comment for my metadata if I am only using Kindle NT & Nook Tablet
Old 03-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
So. I don't really have to hunt for a thorough/deatiled comment for my metadata if I am only using Kindle NT & Nook Tablet
You don't have to have it for any device, only the EPUB standards required values.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I have Caibre insert the metadata at the beginning of the book during conversion. When I'm browsing for something new to read on my reader, it's nice to see the cover, then the tags, and then a brief description.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Push the information button/about menu item on many readers

Much of the metadata is shown to the user
For info, using the Mantano reading app to read epub on an Android smartphone has this option.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
re: Metadata comments

Oooh, Polly! That's a wonderful idea, and I wish I had thought of it earlier. (inserting metadata comments into the body of the book.)
I, too, like to add a synposis/dustjacket blurb to the metadata comments section in Calibre-- this is one of my sore points with most ereaders. With a paper book, I like to look at the cover, refresh my memory with the dustjacket (or back cover) blurbs before I start reading, and read the author's forward, etc. I use the metadata comments section to build my "virtual" dust jacket blurb. It's useful when I pick books from Calibre to transfer to my reader, but gone after that.
I realize I'm old school, but it's a constant irritation to me that reader software assumes I want to start with the first chapter in the book....
KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mobipocket Creator:
- "Metadata should be filled properly before deploying the publication into a wholesale distribution system.
- This information is saved in the publication and is uploaded on the wholesale distribution system when you deploy your publication."

So I think, the metadata are not meant to be read on a reader device but very important for the retail websites if you want your book to be found. The tags are the keywords for search engines as well as the comments which will be the blurb.

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
When I create an EPUB Catalog for my Nook STR one of the things I include is the comments for each book since the STR won't display them in the Book Details section.

That's a pretty good idea, Polly. I may include that as well since I don't always feel like going back to my catalog when I'm going through a particular genre/fandom but can't remember what the book I'm looking at is about.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote