Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #76
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I, for one, would be greatly annoyed if there were no longer various free and non-free versions of PD works on Amazon. I like options. If I can get a free version of an anthology that has a wall-of-text TOC or pay a couple of dollars for a formatted, linked, TOC, I would probably choose to pay for that added value. Someone took the time to do that work. Granted, some of the paid versions available have less added value than the example I've given, but I'm not willing to give up one to get rid of the other.

As much as I wish everyone knew about PD and the availability of free texts, we're not there yet, and there are still a lot of people who won't take the time to comparison shop for free options. Getting something for free has always taken a little work, yes? I guess Amazon could make it a little easier and allow sorting by price (and showing prices in list view) when shopping directly from the Kindle. That would actually be amazing. (It can be done with the experimental browser in landscape mode, actual size, with a lot of clicking on the actual Amazon site, but that's kind of a pain.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #77
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This would work if Amazon didn't merge reviews from several different editions of a work.

Sometimes this is what you want — if it's a review of the contents. But when it's a review of the formatting it's very bad.
The merging is a royal pain. I've learned to be very careful about reviews on Amazon, because reviews of different editions or versions of books, dvds, cds etc can be quite misleading.

(I've also learned to not assume that the first hit for a book or product is the only possible hit. I've seen the same edition of the same book show up in different "used book" listings, sometimes with amazing price differences. I've also found new products at drastically different prices, not all showing up in the same search, even though they are exactly the same thing.)
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert