Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #376
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, you can but not while it is mounted on the PC. When you plug in the USB you are given a choice.

Dale
Thanks Dale.

While I've ordered the Pocket Pro already, Knowing about this option is a nice Bonus.

(After having forgotten to recharge My reader too many times just before going out or on a trip )
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #377
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
It is automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I don't think I realized that it does landscape. Maybe they all do, and I just didn't realize it.

Robert, is the conversion from portrait to landscape automatic like the txtr, or do you push a button like the jetBook?
Dear GA Russell:

Yes, the landscape mode (what I call "displaying horizontal") is a nice enough feature. Our Mentor LIte has a button you can push to go to that mode. On the Pocket PRO and EZ Reader Basic it is automatic when the third font size is chosen. I think that the factory has that to aid those with poor vision to be able to enjoy reading on the device!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #378
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read books while charging via USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
RobertB, a quick Question

Can you use the Pocket Pro when it is being charged by the USB?

If that is possible, it would be a great feature, as that is something I find very irritating with the Cybook Gen3, of not being able to continue reading when the Battery goes down.
Dear bbusybookworm:

Good question and I did not know. So, I pulled out a Maroon Lagoon Pocket PRO and tried it. Went thru the entire sequence and noted it was charging. Then I tried to bring up a book and it came right up and I tried page advance and it advanced just fine!!

SO... YES you can!! I love questions like this as we all broaden our knowledge just a little bit more!

I think I will NEVER reach the end of trying to explore things on the Pocket PRO!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #379
Robertb

Dale always beats me to the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, you can but not while it is mounted on the PC. When you plug in the USB you are given a choice.

Dale
That Dale DePriest!! That guy knows more about my Astak readers than I ever will! Are you aware that the factory is now eagerly awaiting more suggestions from Dale? This blows me away. Dale is ALWAYS trying to help all of us be getting answers and finding problems and asking bold questions!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #380
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Robert,
Yet another Q, will the pocket pro be charged through USB? mini-USB? I gotta prepare with cheap wall generic usb chargers...
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #381
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Pretty much a Luddite here. As Y2K approached, I bought some rechargeable NiCad flashlight batteries. As I recall, the instructions said that you should use not recharge them before they were exhausted. I didn't understand why, but that was my take on it.

With these LiIon batteries that the Pocket Pro and other readers use, is it also recommended to run the battery all the way down before you recharge it?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #382
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Pretty much a Luddite here. As Y2K approached, I bought some rechargeable NiCad flashlight batteries. As I recall, the instructions said that you should use not recharge them before they were exhausted. I didn't understand why, but that was my take on it.

With these LiIon batteries that the Pocket Pro and other readers use, is it also recommended to run the battery all the way down before you recharge it?
NiCds could suffer from "memory effect" (where the battery gradually holds less of a charge) if they were not fully drained before recharging. This isn't an issue with Lithium Ion. In fact it's recommended that you try not to let the battery drain too far too often.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #383
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
There is a belief, which I've never seen confirmed, that with LiIon batteries, they won't fully charge until you've partially discharged and re-charged them two or three times.

Just passing on what I've heard, but I'm not entirely convinced it's true.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #384
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks guys. I can imagine reading a book all the way until the battery shuts down and then, interrupted, plug everything in to recharge the battery before I can continue reading. Glad to see that that isn't the case.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #385
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
There is a belief, which I've never seen confirmed, that with LiIon batteries, they won't fully charge until you've partially discharged and re-charged them two or three times.

First...love the shot of one of my true hero's in life as your avatar. Ali was and is a great example for the rest of us. Once when on a consulting visit to eBay in 2000 someone had recently sold Ali's robe, gloves and I believe shoes as well from the Manila fight (as I recall it could have been different though). but whoever won them I think worked at eBay or loaned them to eBay for a while. So I not only was able to see the gear, I got to put on the gloves. Very cool moment for me.

About the Li-Ion batteries, I have heard the same sort of thing. But in practice what happens is that if there is any "smartness" int he battery and/or device you need to run through a couple charge cycles in order to calibrate the battery management software. So,, it is not that the battery will not fully charge right away, it can often be the case the smartness needs calibration. I am not sure if any of the ebook reading devices actually use a SMART Li-Ion battery. That would also explain why they are cheaper, just like cell phone batteries. One of the reasons laptop batteries are expensive, beyond the proprietary thing, is the smart circuitry built into them and the laptop. And that smart-circuitry is there to help keep the batter from overcharging and exploding.

I might be off a bit on the absolutes here about Li-Ion/Li-Poly batteries as I am not close to an expert in the tech, but having used nothing but laptops for about two decades ya read things. And nope, never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express either...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #386
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Computer-generated videos of lBook V5 (same hardware):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzL8KjlhvBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2p6-QFTKBI
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #387
Robertb

USB charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
Robert,
Yet another Q, will the pocket pro be charged through USB? mini-USB? I gotta prepare with cheap wall generic usb chargers...
Dear SDRebel:

The Pocket PRO comes with a USB cable for charging and an AC Adapter. I am attaching a picture of the USB port on the Pocket PRO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO showing SD and USB port.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	738.3 KB
ID:	34492  
Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #388
Robertb

Pocket PRO means convenient size

Harry had a great insight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All:

Harry posted the following on another thread and I think we should discuss this here:

Have you noticed that Bookeen actually called the Opus a "pocket friendly" reader? In its pouch, I reckon it's pretty safe - as long as it's something like a jacket pocket. Putting it in a back pocket is just asking for trouble.

My point is not about Bookeen or Opus. My point is about the Pocket PRO. Please realize that we call it that because its size makes it more convenient and easy to carry... NOT that it belongs in your pocket during polo matches!

ANY screen will break if you abuse it. The Pocket PRO is a very good machine but it is NOT going to stand up to putting it in the back pocket of your pants, sitting down with it in the front pocket, or leaving it in your suit jacket inside pocket on a plane and having someone sit on it.

Let's not mistake a really well made eBook Reader with being a tank! You have to treat any eBook Reader, including the Pocket PRO, with some care. It is an electronic instrument!!

I know many of you are laughing by this time. I am not. Broken screens and the labor to switch them, are priced at about $95 and up plus freight! That is NO laughing matter!! If our costs raise... so does the cost of the Pocket PRO!

Keep your new Pocket PRO in its case when you are moving (such as falling down stairs or jumping out of airplanes or jumping off cliffs or even just walking). IF we find it obvious that the screen is cracked due to abuse... you may just have voided your warranty. IF you want to roughhouse with a Pocket PRO... invest in a "Rhino Skin" aluminum case that clips to your belt!

This is a serious request that all buying the Pocket PRO realize that they still need to provide care. I can't do you any good if you send it for repair with a broken screen and we note ANY evidence of abuse. YOU have to guard that device well.

Thank you, Harry, for the warning!!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #389
Robertb

Picture of Pocket PRO battery with ruler

Dear All:

Yesterday I was asked to provide a photo of the battery with a ruler next to it for comparison. Here it is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO battery  and writing.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	849.6 KB
ID:	34493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO Color Group Shot.jpg.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	34494  
Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #390
Robertb

Poly LiIon batery charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

Dear wodin:

I heard when they first came out that they did need to deep cycle charging (run it down to nothing and then charge it back up). Then I heard that this was no longer needed.

The factory User Manual does state that you should do the deep cycle routine a few times when you first get the device.

My own experience with my "Ole Blue" EZ Reader Basic has been that I am a habitual charger! I charge it up whenever the gauge shows half full. I enjoy my machine and always want access to my music. On long plane trips though (like to Taiwan), I have been forced to let it drain out while using it. There was no repurcussion from my frequent "half-full" charging.

I cannot tell you what to do. I can only state my personal experience!