Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Apabi and OS6 ?

Has anyone tried Apabi under the new OS 6?

I admit to being chicken to upgrade to the new OS until I know my current favorite ebook reading program runs properly under it so I would appreciate any information others can give me.

Thanks!
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Has anyone tried Apabi under the new OS 6?

I admit to being chicken to upgrade to the new OS until I know my current favorite ebook reading program runs properly under it so I would appreciate any information others can give me.

Thanks!
Working fine on my iPad and 3GS iphone in iOS6.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

Right now, Apabi is my favorite ebook reader and I have just been leery about installing iOS 6 and having it not work. I have a few other programs that I use daily (record and graph my blood glucose levels) and I want to make sure I have backups of those numbers before I do any upgrading.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is it about Apabi that makes you like it so much? I've tried it and well, I didn't like it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Shykat
Groupie

One of my main requirements for an ebook reader is that it allow me to sort and keep my books in the order I load them onto the device. I prefer this because I read books that are in different series and I like to read them in order. If they are longer type books, I add in some shorter books in between to give me an bit of a break.

I like having the Upper information bar at the top of the screen. That way I can quickly see what time it is and how much battery life I have left. This can be turned offif you don't like it.

I'm able to change text alignment, line spacing, paragraph spacing and paragraph style.

I can swipe up or down to change the brightness of the screen.

You can do the pinch in or out to change the font size.

You easily can import books from DropBox.

There's a feature where you can change the Page Layout to Single, Single to fit width (my preference) and what I'm thinking if for the iPad... Double and Double with cover.

Several other features but those seem to be what most people mention.

The additions I would love to see:

From within the book, click on Info and have the cover picture and the book's blurb show up

Page shown as 4/205 in addition to the % of the book read.

Show the author's name in addition to the title of the book and format of the book.

I don't remember if there are any other requests that I might have. LOL
Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seriously, shykat, you should take a look at ShubookSE. Its only $1.99 (AU)..dunno where you live, but whatever, its pretty cheap for what it is. Would be nice it it was free, but.. i am pretty impressed. You get your page numbers too

I like to read books in series too, but I prefer to sort by Author, and that way they all stay together in a separate page (in Stanza, Megareader and Shubook).
Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not tried the current version, but if I recall correctly, the previous version did not display ePub well. That was why I didn't care for it. Yes, it is not to have good library options, but without good eBook display, good library options are worthless (IMHO).
Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard

I've found the current version STREETS ahead of older versions. I had not looked at it for about 8-9 months, and its improvement has been nothing short of amazing. I ran a formatted epub file on it and except for span/class, it displays everyting pretty well.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I've found the current version STREETS ahead of older versions. I had not looked at it for about 8-9 months, and its improvement has been nothing short of amazing. I ran a formatted epub file on it and except for span/class, it displays everyting pretty well.
Except for span/class? Without span/class, it's useless.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Except for span/class? Without span/class, it's useless.
Depends on what you are reading. The books I have on board have italics and bold as well as regular. Not everyone uses span/class, some still use the older formatting types.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #11
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
does apabi work well? what's make it so special from the rest
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote