Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Jamz
Jamz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kind request on metadata.db

It looks like calibre keeps a constant file open lock on metadata.db? It seems logical BUT is there a way to change it so it only opens the file when it needs to?

Reason: I keep my ebook/calibre library on a UNC share on my HP MediaSmart Homeserver (since I have several gb of books). And the server complains every day about the file lock as it needs the file closed so it can "duplicate" the file. (All files on the share are duplicated like Raid 5).

I imagine this could be a problem for backups as well.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem as I would only run calibre when needed except for I leave it open to grab daily news.
Jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
It looks like calibre keeps a constant file open lock on metadata.db? It seems logical BUT is there a way to change it so it only opens the file when it needs to?
I don't know if this can be changed, but I run my Library in Dropbox and I'm using Dropbox version 0.8.103 which is a beta build. Dropbox now will sync the Metadata.db file every time it is updated, even in its locked open state. If I were to use their current stable release 0.7.11 then I would have to leave my machine on after I quit calibre for the file to be unlocked and synced to my internet storage.

This doesn't help you with your problem, but I wonder if there is a setting or patch that will allow your HP MediaSmart Homeserver to do the same?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is out of my control (it's set by the sqlite library), so it cannot be changed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Jamz
Jamz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
OK, I go for Plan B then

So, if I have my news set to grab at 8am every day, and I run Calibre after that time, will it then run the job or wait till the next day? And or is there a command line option to run Calibre to "fetch and send news only" some way?

I'm thinking I need to just run Calibre as a windows job daily for about 10 minutes every morning. Is there a graceful way to have calibre shutdown via command line?
Jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
OK, I go for Plan B then

So, if I have my news set to grab at 8am every day, and I run Calibre after that time, will it then run the job or wait till the next day? And or is there a command line option to run Calibre to "fetch and send news only" some way?

I'm thinking I need to just run Calibre as a windows job daily for about 10 minutes every morning. Is there a graceful way to have calibre shutdown via command line?
This thread should help. For sending, use the calibre-smtp command.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert