Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Battery almost drained in 5 hours while idle?

I fully charged my PRS-600 yesterday morning (the charge light had gone out). I unplugged it and turned it off with switch on the top (not a full powerdown). A few hours later it was down to 1 bar.

There were a few light manuals on top of it, and I have noticed that the Proports leather case does seem to press on the buttons when it is closed. Is it possible that the button presses were still registering and making it think? The book hadn't advanced beyond the page I left it on though.

Very mysterious?

The charge was via USB (which I don't normally do) but it was connected for several hours to charge fully.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
The charge was via USB (which I don't normally do) but it was connected for several hours to charge fully.
I could be wrong but don't some USB ports go to sleep?

I have a 505 and if I have it hooked up to USB then eject the drive in Calibre the light will go out even though it is still hooked up.

just something to think about.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It probably was not fully charged. I've had similar things happen with my 505. I don't think the batter meter is trustworthy. Not all usb ports (or computers) will charge a Sony properly.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
As for the buttons, yes. I had my 505 in my purse yesterday. Before I put it in there it had dropped one bar. 45 minutes later it had dropped another. I forgot to put it on sleep and since buttons kept getting hit it didn't go on automatic sleep.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is curious - the MacBook Pro seems to always have the USB ports powered (even when it is asleep), bit in any case it was running all the time the Sony was connected. So I will go with the theory that it is some odd interaction with Calibre! I have fully charged it using the PSP charger now, and will see how long that lasts...
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
So I will go with the theory that it is some odd interaction with Calibre! I have fully charged it using the PSP charger now, and will see how long that lasts...
I wouldn't dream of thinking this had anything to with Calibre. I just noted when I eject it from Calibre the light goes out. Many other folks have notice various oddities with charging through the usb ports.

Good idea using a PSP charger, that is my choice for charging my 505.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
As mentioned, some USB charging actually discharged my 505! Sounds similar.

+1 for PSP charger
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
ChristopherTD
Addict

Mystery resolved!

Looking through the Sony PRS-600 manual I noticed a small remark that said battery life would be reduced when the temperature was below 5 degrees (Celsius). It was very cold yesterday, the room it was in was well below that, so it must have just been too chilly for it! Phew.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Even though the room was cold, I would go with the not fully charged answer. Anyone volunteer to stick their reader in the refrigerator and see how fast it drops?

Try a PSP charger.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
I've managed to solve all my battery problems (6h on one charge etc.) in 3 steps :
1. Format memory
2. Put autorun.xml on sd card and run test mode.(Check "run arbitrary code" thread for details) Than "Factory Initialize".
3.Charge PRS using PSP charger till the red light goes off.
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by osowiecki View Post
I've managed to solve all my battery problems (6h on one charge etc.) in 3 steps :
1. Format memory
2. Put autorun.xml on sd card and run test mode.(Check "run arbitrary code" thread for details) Than "Factory Initialize".
3.Charge PRS using PSP charger till the red light goes off.
Do you have any idea why this would solve battery problems?
Did you put anything in the autorun.xml file on the sd card?
Is "Factory Initialize" an option when you get into test mode?

Just curious.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Onecanuck
Onecanuck began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600S
Make sure that you are not playing music before you close out your reading session, because the music playing does not stop by itself and drains the battery. The other thing is, use the Sony AC Adapter to charge. I had a similar issue that was corrected with the Mains Power Adapter.
Onecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Do you have any idea why this would solve battery problems?
Did you put anything in the autorun.xml file on the sd card?
Is "Factory Initialize" an option when you get into test mode?

Just curious.
I.
HOW TO MAKE THE SD MEMORY CARD FOR TEST
MODE USE ONLY
1. Ready for the SD memory card.
2. Make the new directly as “/Sony Reader/software” on the SD
memory card.
3. Make the new file as “/Sony Reader/software/Autorun.xml” on
the SD memory card.
4. Confirm the method of obtaining the program data for test
mode to each service headquarters.

HOW TO ENTER THE TEST MODE
1. Insert the SD memory card with the test mode data is inserted
while pressing the [HOME] and [VOL +] buttons.
2. After a while, indicate the test mode menu, enter the test mode.
3. Press the [<]/[>] buttons, change the test mode menu page 1/
page 2.

6. Factory Initialize
Touch the “Factory Initialize” in the test mode menu page 1.
Clean up all the evidence and reset all settings, then shutdown.

II.
I think it helps The battery charge meter to recalbrate..It's my guess.
As I said..It worked for me. I'll check it later. Right now i'm to sleepy/busy to think about PRS.
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Thanks for those instructions osowiecki.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 AM   #15
ChristopherTD
Addict

I watched this process this morning, and Ejecting the Sony Reader using the Eject button in Calibre caused the red charging light to go out, even though it was still plugged in. This is on Mac OS/X (Snow Leaopard) and behaviour may vary on other platforms. So my apparent rapid discharge was a combination of not actually completing the charge cycle and the Arctic conditions in the room.