Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #46
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, you just saved your pretty face here...

YAY!!

Blasphemy!
I was delusional, outta my mind. Robertb was being mean!!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #47
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Kindle made me do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I was delusional, outta my mind. Robertb was being mean!!
Griffonwing:

Sorry about being mean. Kindle is now selling shoes and I bought a pair. The shoes have wireless shoelaces. They ONLY will work on this one pair of shoes as they are exclusive. I can download shoepolish but only through the Kindle website. During the night they maintain the right to make my shoes disappear if they feel they need to do so. I had to commit to having the shoes polished when on the road at Kindle authorized shoe shine stands. AND... when the batteries on the shoes go out I have to send them back to Kindle for battery replacement!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #48
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope B&N does not decide to kill off ePub. Adding a second DRM will indeed kill off ePub.
What are you talking about?

You've been telling people for months (years?) that ePub's ascendancy and ultimate domination of the eBook market to the exclusion of all other formats is a foregone conclusion.

Were you just guessing? Or--Darwin forbid!--were you wrong?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #49
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Griffonwing:

Sorry about being mean. Kindle is now selling shoes and I bought a pair. The shoes have wireless shoelaces. They ONLY will work on this one pair of shoes as they are exclusive. I can download shoepolish but only through the Kindle website. During the night they maintain the right to make my shoes disappear if they feel they need to do so. I had to commit to having the shoes polished when on the road at Kindle authorized shoe shine stands. AND... when the batteries on the shoes go out I have to send them back to Kindle for battery replacement!
You misspelled "EVERYONE MAINTAINS THAT THEY HAVE THE RIGHT"*.

- Ahi

* Unless we don't mind living in a world where nobody ever makes a pair of shoes again.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #50
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I take offense at that remark! We're not all like that...

I want that jet-black reader!
Me too! For both remarks, though sadly I have seen enough examples of such buying behavior to understand how the comment can be made (especially for young girls) though I do not resemble it myself. Perhaps it is better attributed to much a young crowd ofconsumers? "Young" can be a mental state or physical age, but I much prefer a nice stately black for my electronics...
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #51
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
Me too! For both remarks, though sadly I have seen enough examples of such buying behavior to understand how the comment can be made (especially for young girls) though I do not resemble it myself. Perhaps it is better attributed to much a young crowd ofconsumers? "Young" can be a mental state or physical age, but I much prefer a nice stately black for my electronics...
I quite agree. Although I am not technically adverse to colours at all. You can have coloured devices, but not JUST coloured devices.

If you choose to have 6 colours consisted of neon green, neon red, neon blue, neon yellow, neon orange, and neon purple, then do not think that you will sell to the masses. You are then basically targeting a specific demographic. If you add in white, black and silver, you will basically double your sales, if not triple them. (This is only conjecture, not based on any numbers).

But if you actually do a study and determine what colours the public would prefer, then you stand to multiply your sales even greater.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I quite agree. Although I am not technically adverse to colours at all. You can have coloured devices, but not JUST coloured devices.

If you choose to have 6 colours consisted of neon green, neon red, neon blue, neon yellow, neon orange, and neon purple, then do not think that you will sell to the masses. You are then basically targeting a specific demographic. If you add in white, black and silver, you will basically double your sales, if not triple them. (This is only conjecture, not based on any numbers).

But if you actually do a study and determine what colours the public would prefer, then you stand to multiply your sales even greater.
I think this is the truth too. Taste differs among the age groups. To target all groups, you'd need more than just the "trendy" colours. Besides, you all know how long "trendy" stays "trendy"...

When I started to think about the colours for our livingroom (which would be about 2 years ago), the "trendy" colours where blue/red/green/etc, all in bright colours. And puur white for the walls.

When we had finished the livingroom (last fall), we found out we had used the "today's trendy colours", an off-white and dark brown.

So, add black, white and silver to your trendy colours and you'll make a lot of people happy (at least, you'd make me happy!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:10 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
What are you talking about?

You've been telling people for months (years?) that ePub's ascendancy and ultimate domination of the eBook market to the exclusion of all other formats is a foregone conclusion.

Were you just guessing? Or--Darwin forbid!--were you wrong?

- Ahi
Given that we are getting more and more readers out there with ADE/ePub, I do feel that ePub will be the dominant format. But if we have different DRM on ePub, then what will happen is it will cause chaos and confusion. And lead to yet more tower of eBable issues. If a reader says it will handle ePub, I want it to handle ePub no matter what store I bought it from. Also, if the Plastic Logic as sold by B&N has ePub support but the DRM is their own DRM, then it won't be any use for checking out ePub from public libraries. A lot of people don't know about DRM in any real detail. Having a second DRM to ePub will cause a lot of confusion and purchases that won't work.

We've already seen the sort of confusion that can happen just by incorrectly using the term eReader. Some people have bought eReader format eBooks for a Sony Reader because it's been referred to on MR as a Sony eReader and then Fictionwise says eReader is recommended. Now if B&N sells ePub with their own DRM, I can easily see people with a Sony, Cool-er, Bookeen, etc buying from B&N just to find they do not work. This can turn people off to the format. We don't need this added layer of confusion as we already have enough eBook confusion based on what we have now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #54
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
And now, a rumor with supporting evidence points to a Sony reader (PRS300) of 5'' as well :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=537147
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #55
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
And now, a rumor with supporting evidence points to a Sony reader (PRS300) of 5'' as well :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=537147

I think that Sony Reader will have quite an impact on the 5" models competing with one another. (It's just the right size to put on your head -- oops! I mean put in one's Captain Kangaroo pants, which of course we all wear when we're working. Don't forget the tie, though.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote