Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2018, 05:47 AM   #1
Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Is it possible to have '&' in Author name?

Hi,

I'd like to add a company name as author to a respective document/eBook. This name contains a '&' ... is it possible to quote this character such that it is not interpreted as a separation of two author names?

I appreciate any help in that matter

Regards

Peter
Peter Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
DeBig
DeBig began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hello,

Go to Preferences / Adjustment / multiple author names splitting
(or something like that, i'm using a french version of Calibre)
DeBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
'&' in Author name

I have had no problem with it. Example: David Smith & Peter Wesson is accepted.

A point about this when doing this with authors means that on searches it would show David Smith as one author and Peter Wesson as another so works well.

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBig View Post
Hello,

Go to Preferences / Adjustment / multiple author names splitting
(or something like that, i'm using a french version of Calibre)
- I removed the 'and' from the default regular expression in that Tweak - so 'Smith and Wesson' is one name, whereas 'Smith & Wesson' would be two names.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
Peter Mueller

Hello,

thanks for the suggestions:

@DeBig: Found the preferences dialog. Unfortunately, this allows me to configure which additional words are considered separators for author splitting. However, it is not possible to make '&' not being a separator.

@mitch13: I need '&' not to separate two authors: "G&D" is, well, "G&D" and not one author "G" and another "D".

Thanks

Peter
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, & is a hardcoded separator.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mueller View Post
Hello,

thanks for the suggestions:

@DeBig: Found the preferences dialog. Unfortunately, this allows me to configure which additional words are considered separators for author splitting. However, it is not possible to make '&' not being a separator.

@mitch13: I need '&' not to separate two authors: "G&D" is, well, "G&D" and not one author "G" and another "D".

Thanks

Peter
You could use the ﹠ character (small ampersand) as a workaround:
G﹠D
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Rather than fighting the system, could you just use "G+D" if there aren't too many?
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
crnirg
Enthusiast
crnirg began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet (Android)
I replace with _And_ :
with regex
\& with _And_
crnirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Peter Mueller

Thanks all for the suggestions and explanations. Since '&' is hard-coded, I have to find something different.

@phossler: Your suggestion is good, because last year G&D changed it's name to ... G+D :-D

It's just that I do manage some of the document of the "older" company name.

@Nicolas F: Well, this is a cool idea. Was not aware of the small '&'. I'll check this out.

@kovidgoyal: Thanks for the feedback. And thanks for calibre :-)

@crnirg: Also thanks for your suggestion.

BR

Peter

Tags
author name