Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
Question Almost convinced :)

Hi !
I've been looking at the eBook readers for a while, now, already wanting to buy one five years ago.
Now a generous and lovely friend decided to offer me one. I really like the iLiad, mostly because of the ability to write on it and because of the big screen.
I'm a writer and I read and correct lots of manuscripts for other writers, all in pdf format or doc format, but the problem is always the same : I don't want to carry my computer all around.

A few questions about the iLiad : I saw in this forum that it is possible to read .doc files, using Abiword. Anybody can confirm that it really works ?
Also, what about reading in a badly lit place ? How much light is necessary to be able to read without trouble ?
Is it possible to read in a sunny environment, like at the beach or sitting on a bench in a parc ? (that's my main problem with the computer)
What about the charger ? I live in Switzerland and we have 220V instead of 110. My computer supports both 110V and 220V, the charger makes the conversion by itself. Is it the same for the iLiad or would I have to buy a universal charger ?
What happens with the warranty if I buy it in the USA ? Do I have to ship it back there if there is any problem with it or can I have it fixed in my own country ? (Apple, for example, has an world-wide warranty)

Sorry, that's a lot of questions, but the iLiad is not cheap and I want to be sure it's the best Reader for me

(and sorry for my English. As you might have guessed, it's not my mother language...)

Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If there is enough light to read a paperback book you can probably read on the iLiad, but you may need to increase the font size in low light. E-Ink really works well with bright natural light, either outside or from a full spectrum light.

For .doc, I suggest converting to .rtf and reading with FBReader because it will reflow the text. You can check this will work on your documents by trying FBReader under Windows. I am assuming it is the content and not the layout you care about. Standard PDFs work ok on the iLiad, but it might be worth trying the Windows MobiPocket Reader's capability to convert PDFs to MOBI (i.e. to reflow the PDF). The MOBI file is readable via FBReader and by the iLiad's MobiPocket Reader.

If you want to make notes on the iLiad, then only PDF will do and you should instead convert your .doc files to .pdf (perhaps after changing the page size to fit the iLiad better).

The standard charger is a travel charger with four snap in plugs. This definitely works in the UK, so I think 220V is ok.

The warranty may be better if you buy in Europe, but either way iRex is a small company and all repairs are shipped back to them.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Ok, great ! Apparently, warranty is worldwide and I live almost next door to Germany, and that's where the iLiad should be sent in case.
I own Acrobat Pro, so no problem to resize any pdf to a more suitable format. I almost always correct pdf texts, but sometimes people prefer that I work on a .doc format. So it's not possible to make notes on this format ?

One more thing before I rush to buy it : I want to have a good protection for it, as I'm going to take it everywhere with me. From the website I plan on ordering on, there is only one cover available, that's the iRex cover (the brown one : https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...products_id=45). I like it a lot, but I want to be sure the iLiad can be attached to it, because I don't want it to slide out of the cover.
The one from M-edge (https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...products_id=59) seems to be a little more secure.

Any advise on that ? (it's really minor, but if I can order everything together, I'll save extra shipping costs, and moreover, I can use it right away without fearing scratches and damages)
Old 04-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have the M-Edge cover. It holds the iLiad very securely (essentially permanently, I would not want to frequently remove it from this cover), but it does make the flipbar and the keys next to the flipbar harder to press. So I can see advantages to the iRex cover, assuming the velcro holds well enough.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Vanessa
French newbie

ok In the meantime, I read quite a lot of reviews on all those covers, and everybody agrees that no cover is really good ATM. So I guess I'll most probably go for the iRex cover and glue the velcro on the back until I find a better solution (I'll use the stylet, like, all the time...)

About the storage card, any CF will do the trick or do I have to buy a specific card for the iLiad ?
Advert
Old 04-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
About the storage card, any CF will do the trick or do I have to buy a specific card for the iLiad ?
Have a look at the Wiki's Memorycards list. You probably won't have a problem with the next cheap CF card you buy...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Vanessa
French newbie

Thanks for that link !

It will be hard to wait for the iLiad once I order it...
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
She wants to edit books on the iLiad. Is that possible. Do the annotations that are made get stored in the file or is there a seperate annoation files that is happening. In other words, if she send the .doc file back to someone, will they be able to see here annoations?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can only annotate PDFs, not DOCs. The annotations get stored as a separate file, but can be "merged" with the original PDF using a Windows program.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Vanessa
French newbie

Thank you, both of you !
For my work, I never edit documents, I always comment them on the pdf file or on the doc file. If the notes can be merged with the document, then it will be perfect.

Another thing : I saw today that it's also possible to comment documents on the Kindle with the little keyboard. Which one would you suggest, for my specific use ? Is the Kindle better than the iLiad ?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle can't display PDF files, and many PDFs can only be very poorly converted to read on a 6" screen, such as the Kindle has. If PDFs are important to you, the iLiad is a much better choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
Vanessa
French newbie

Ok
Final decision taken, it will be the iLiad.
Besides, my boyfriend is even more eager as I am to try it and is hurrying me to order it. Two more days to wait !!!
I already call the customs, they said it's no problem to import it from the US

Thanks everyone for all your advise ! I guess I'll be on this forum more and more once I get the iLiad...
Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
rainer.betrug
rainer.betrug began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800
Is it possible to go to the US and buy the iLiad there, so that I will save around 150€ (650€ compared to 700$)?
Is there a shop in the US, where one can buy the iLiad and bring it back to europe personally?

With 150€ I can get almost the flight to the US.
rainer.betrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
The Iliad is developed in europe. So is there really an advantage in buying in the U.S?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
rainer.betrug
rainer.betrug began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800
The advantage is the price in the US.
The question is, if there is somewhere a shop in the US where one can buy the iLiad. and if there is no problem to take it back to europe without paying too much.
rainer.betrug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iliad