Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #61
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I share my digital books in much the same way I shared my pBooks in the past. I meet with my friend, hand him or her my older Kobo device with the book on it. A few weeks later we meet-up again, and I get it back. It works quite well.
I used to buy a physical book, read it. If I knew I wasn't intending to re-read it I'd give it to a friend who would read it and pass it on. I would also get a slow, but steady stream of books from friends in a similar fashion.
Now I don't buy physical books, I can't do that anymore, which is a shame.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #62
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I read Kindle books on my iPad, and my husband reads Kindle books on his iPad. We are registered to the same account, and I can send the books to one or the other, or both.

He also reads Nook books on his iPad, and I read Nook books on my Nook of course. We just share an account and wade through each other's books.

I set up a different account for my daughter, but the first time I transferred a book from mine to hers, it asked for the name and credit card number the book was bought under, and now I can transfer any books to hers. That's a way to legally share as well. You have to trust them with your credit card details, so it would only be someone very close, and I imagine it's limited to how many people? I've only done it with my daughter so I haven't tested that.

Then there's the lendme feature on the nooks.

Really, the best bet might be to tell them it's good and have them look it up on their library ebook site. If theirs isn't very good, there are some libraries that will grant cards to non-residents for a fee. You end up on a waiting list usually, but if you're willing to wait a bit, you can get most of the well known books.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I read Kindle books on my iPad, and my husband reads Kindle books on his iPad. We are registered to the same account, and I can send the books to one or the other, or both.

He also reads Nook books on his iPad, and I read Nook books on my Nook of course. We just share an account and wade through each other's books.

I set up a different account for my daughter, but the first time I transferred a book from mine to hers, it asked for the name and credit card number the book was bought under, and now I can transfer any books to hers. That's a way to legally share as well. You have to trust them with your credit card details, so it would only be someone very close, and I imagine it's limited to how many people? I've only done it with my daughter so I haven't tested that.
As you very rightly point out, there are all sorts of entirely legal ways to share books, without needing to resort to piracy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #64
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
I've just had cause to go to the O'Reilly site (to get an update to an ebook I bought) and noticed they say this in the help section:
Quote:
Can I lend an O'Reilly ebook to another person?

If you buy an O'Reilly ebook from oreilly.com, you may lend it to another person, provided that you do not retain any copies of the book after you lend it. This is the same as the situation when you lend a used print copy—when you lend the copy, you deliver it to the buyer and no longer have a copy in your library. If you have bought a hard copy/ebook bundle, you may of course retain the hard copy, if you sell the ebook.
Interesting, both for the permission to lend an ebook as long as you delete your local copy (and I'm sure they're aware you can still download it again from O'Reilly), and for the fact that they think you can sell an ebook you bought from them. I guess this makes them encouragers of piracy...

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #65
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
If theirs isn't very good, there are some libraries that will grant cards to non-residents for a fee. You end up on a waiting list usually, but if you're willing to wait a bit, you can get most of the well known books.
I agree with the jist of what you're saying but this last part is not quite true. I understand that only about 2 out of the 6 main publishing houses license their books for use in public libraries. So there is no guarantee that most books you are interested in will become available there.

eBooks from Public Libraries are only a subset, at best, of the total of all eBooks available.

Last edited by Laridae; 05-22-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #66
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
I agree with the jist of what you're saying but this last part is not quite true. I understand that only about 2 out of the 6 main publishing houses license their books for use in public libraries. So there is no guarantee that most books you are interested in will become available there.
eBooks from Public Libraries are only a subset, at best, of the total of all eBooks available.
I wasn't aware of that! I guess I haven't investigated that much. Thanks for the info.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #67
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I've just had cause to go to the O'Reilly site (to get an update to an ebook I bought) and noticed they say this in the help section:

Interesting, both for the permission to lend an ebook as long as you delete your local copy (and I'm sure they're aware you can still download it again from O'Reilly), and for the fact that they think you can sell an ebook you bought from them. I guess this makes them encouragers of piracy...

Andrew
I think we can all agree that only having one copy of an ebook and then transferring it around to as many people as possible is not piracy. Let us do this then.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #68
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
No we cannot. That is piracy. The only way for me to share my copy of an e-book is having someone share an account with me or lending them the book using the option offered my by Amazon. Otherwise, it is piracy.

Some bookstores have a different standard, such as O'Rielly, but then the e-book can be given to one person and I have to delete the book from my account, device, and computer so I do not retain a copy of the book.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #69
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Some bookstores have a different standard, such as O'Rielly, but then the e-book can be given to one person and I have to delete the book from my account, device, and computer so I do not retain a copy of the book.
They don't say anything about deleting it from your account. In fact, I don't think you can.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #70
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
No we cannot. That is piracy. The only way for me to share my copy of an e-book is having someone share an account with me or lending them the book using the option offered my by Amazon. Otherwise, it is piracy.
So in theory, all we need is as many accounts as there are books and then let one person at a time have access to an account? That sounds like a decent setup for a library funded by tax dollars, or a website funded by advertising revenue.

That doesn't sound like piracy to me, in fact it sounds like a decent way to share ebooks... especially if revenues are shared with the creators.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #71
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post

Isn't that true for printed books as well?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #72
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
I share my account with my Mother so we can share books. And I buy her books, she paid for college, I can pay for her reading material.
Awwww, how sweet.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #73
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
i know changing minds are difficult but open talks are a starting point for change to be looked at. I think nobody is saying make copies of books and torrent them or share them on a forum like this or even your closest 100 friends. I feel what people are saying is the law needs changes to make it your property to give to your family and friends when you have finished with it like a paper book.
But it is not like a paperbook. With a paperbook, only one person can read it at a time. Unless your friend is reading over your shoulder, they have to wait until you finish, and if you are a slow reader, perhaps they will go out and buy their own copy.

But with an ebook, if you make a copy, both you and your friend can read it at the same time. You would have to buy a second pbook to be able to do that. And you can't delete a book you bought.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #74
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Isn't that true for printed books as well?
Yes, but not in the context I was talking about (refer back to the issue I was replying to)

Afaik all 6 of the main publishing houses are well represented with their most popular pBooks at public libraries.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #75
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As you very rightly point out, there are all sorts of entirely legal ways to share books, without needing to resort to piracy.
There are (at least):

1) Legal ways to share books that the Publishers approve of.
2) Legal ways to share books that the Publishers do not approve of.
3) Illegal ways to share books.

Of course, some people mistakenly believe that #2 and #3 are the same thing.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote