Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #46
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My position has nothing to do with the agreement, I have never read the silly thing. I don't have to read it to know that buying a book, stripping the DRM, and then handing it out to friends and family in that form is piracy.

If I want my friends and family to be able to read books that I have bought, I will add them to my Kindle account and we can share that way. They have access to the books in a legal fashion.

I don't need to read the Kindle agreement to know that a paperback book is a different format than an ebook. If I want a movie in Blu Ray and I own the movie as a regular DVD, I have to buy the Blu Ray DVD. If I own the paperback and I want the ebook I need to buy the ebook or scan the paperback myself. The format is different. Someone for the company scanned and tried to clean up that book and formatted it. Or someone upload the Word Document and formatted it. There is a cost associated with the act, it is not just something that happens. The author still deserves his/her royalty payment from the sale of his/her work.

It is up to each individual to decide what is right and wrong and to act on it. For me, downloading books for free that are being sold in bookstores, is piracy and that is wrong. Most of the people here who are doing this can come up with a great list of excuses but, in the end, they are simply excuses.

I am sorry that you bought a ton of books that you could not read hoping that one day you would be able to read them. That was a choice that you made. Now you have an e-reader and you can read. Buy the books you want to read, don't pirate them and justify it saying that you spent money on books that you knew you could not read at the time.

I just ignores the silliness of the argument that writers shouldn't care if people pirate their work because they are writing out of love of writing and not trying to provide for their families.

There are legitimate ways to lend books, feel free to use those. Add those folks to your account. If you are not close enough to them to add them to your account, I suggest using the library. The author gets paid and you are not breaking the law.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well said, Prof. I entirely share your views.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #48
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
My position has nothing to do with the agreement, I have never read the silly thing. I don't have to read it to know that buying a book, stripping the DRM, and then handing it out to friends and family in that form is piracy.
When the agreement is paraded here with the warning that ebooks are for personal use only, I just thought I should point out that it is not always the case.

There's a very slippery slope here. DRM removal is encouraged (as "back ups"), but sharing a book with a relative/friend is not. As you mentioned, Amazon allows sharing accounts in order to share ebooks. Some publishers allow its books to be loaned. Ebooks are available at libraries. So obviously sharing of ebooks which are only purchased once is accepted practice.

Personally, no one gets access to my Amazon account. As far as I'm concerned, the author gets paid when I buy the book and it's my business how I decide to share with relatives/friends.

I am not downloading illegal copies of ebooks. I am purchasing them. If you equate my method of sharing with relatives/friends with piracy, so be it.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #49
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Personally, no one gets access to my Amazon account. As far as I'm concerned, the author gets paid when I buy the book and it's my business how I decide to share with relatives/friends.

I am not downloading illegal copies of ebooks. I am purchasing them. If you equate my method of sharing with relatives/friends with piracy, so be it.
This is what seems to be lost on so many people. Once you have purchased the ebook it is up to you to decide if you want to share it with a family member, it is not up to the publisher or author. Uploading it for indiscriminate downloading is another matter entirely. Personal use trumps any and all laws, EULA, TOS, etc.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #50
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
This is what seems to be lost on so many people. Once you have purchased the ebook it is up to you to decide if you want to share it with a family member, it is not up to the publisher or author. Uploading it for indiscriminate downloading is another matter entirely. Personal use trumps any and all laws, EULA, TOS, etc.
Please, we are all related.

Pay per read or Freely share. Those are the options.

They can of course be combined, with the right tech...
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If by "share" you mean "give them a copy" then I'm sorry, but what you're describing is piracy, plain and simple. Your friend wants a copy of a book? He buys a copy. What entitles your friend to a free copy? I'm sorry, but buying a book does not give you the right to hand out copies of it to all your friends and family. What do you think gives you that right?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #52
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If by "share" you mean "give them a copy" then I'm sorry, but what you're describing is piracy, plain and simple. Your friend wants a copy of a book? He buys a copy. What entitles your friend to a free copy? I'm sorry, but buying a book does not give you the right to hand out copies of it to all your friends and family. What do you think gives you that right?
I have loaned family and friends books for many many years. The change from paper to electrons does not somehow make your rights disappear.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #53
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
deleted

Last edited by JoHunt; 05-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I have loaned family and friends books for many many years. The change from paper to electrons does not somehow make your rights disappear.
"Loaning" is not the same thing as "permanently giving a copy"; therein lies the difference.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #55
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The word "piracy" has apparently lost all meaning.

It used to mean (in the IP sense of the word) the guys who sold thousands of camcorded DVDs on the corner for a profit. Then it was people who shared via bittorrent. Now, anyone who makes one copy to give to their mom is a "pirate."

Why don't we just go back to calling it "copyright infringement," which is actually the accurate term for what we're talking about? If "evil" is a loaded word, so is "piracy." (Or at least... it used to be.)
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #56
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
People, people, why don't you stop arguing with Harry? He's right, of course. Piracy is stealing.

But if you can rationalize in your own mind that it's OK, of if you just don't care, then go ahead and do it, and take your chances with the copyright police wherever you live!

You don't need Harry's permission, and don't expect him to condone your rationalization.

Either do it, or don't do it; it's up to you!

Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #57
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Digital content does not have the same rights as a physical object. It is illegal to distribute copies of software, copies of purchased DVDs etc. Why should digital books be different.

You can legally sell or give away a physical copy of a book or a movie that you have purchased but you cannot legally make a copy of them and distribute that copy.

If you lend someone your device with the book on it you are not making a copy.

If you email someone a book you are making a copy.

If you put it on their device you are making a copy.

Deleting your own copy after the fact does not change the fact that that you have made and distributed a copy.

If the person has bought the book in an ugly edition and you give them a better edition for use on their own device, you have made a copy.

There is no provision in law for making a copy of copyright materials and lending/giving/selling them. A provision has been made to allow the sale of photocopiers etc. which gives a small sum to content owners in some countries, but this does not make copying/plagarism etc. legal.

The rights you speak of in terms of physical books have never allowed you to copy and distribute them and exist purely in your imagination.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #58
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If you lend someone your device with the book on it you are not making a copy.

If you email someone a book you are making a copy.
And if our devices do not exist in the physical realm (kindle apps), is allowing others to access our kindle account lending or copying? Please keep in mind that EULA are meaningless.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #59
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I share my digital books in much the same way I shared my pBooks in the past. I meet with my friend, hand him or her my older Kobo device with the book on it. A few weeks later we meet-up again, and I get it back. It works quite well.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #60
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
i know changing minds are difficult but open talks are a starting point for change to be looked at. I think nobody is saying make copies of books and torrent them or share them on a forum like this or even your closest 100 friends. I feel what people are saying is the law needs changes to make it your property to give to your family and friends when you have finished with it like a paper book.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote