Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Hang on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Nonsense, just don't keep a copy for yourself.
No, I see what Harry means, I'm afraid it's what you suggest that's nonsense.
You would have to have a virtual brace of books. And I suppose you could theoretically, were you determined to stray into Improper Avenue, perhaps ask for a fee for another transfer of the download, thereby creating yet another "book". And so on.
And if, like me you have, for example, solely for personal use, a "travelling" reader (350), a home-based reader (650), and the T1 the most heavily used, in every other circumstance, and the most used - that's 3 "books" altogether.
Blimey, what a tangled web.....

In my case, I'm the only one who actually "keeps" any copy, as the other two family members are "read and bin" inclined, whereas I like to keep those I really enjoyed/found particularly interesting and would read again.

In my book-lined library.

But - just a thought - does the authority to download to another 5 devices raise another question: was it originally envisaged that "sharing" [not for profit] would happen ?
And it was accepted as a factor i.e. simply the equivalent of sharing a physbook once you'd read it ?
Or did "they" just assume/hope everyone would accumulate 6 readers !?

Mmm..............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But you can't help it, that's the trouble; it's not "nonsense". Many eBookstores do not provide a method for you to remove your purchases. You can't help but keep a copy.
Correct.
When you buy an ebook what you are buying is a license to download and read that book. DRM'ed editions get encrypted so as to only be available to devices or apps registered to you; DRM-free editions are unencrypted and they rely on your honesty to keep you from sharing it with 10,000 of your closest "friends".
Nobody currently offers a transferable license so you cannot gift a book you have read.

*Some* Nook and Kindle books come with a limited lending right but it is very rare and not commonly available.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Buy a second kindle to loan to friends. If you convert a friend to ereaders they might loan you an extra kindle in return.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #19
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Buy a second kindle to loan to friends. If you convert a friend to ereaders they might loan you an extra kindle in return.
Or one of those Target 65$ T1 s !!

Mumble mumble.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #20
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
There is one sad consequence of DRM'ing books. Charities loose out. When I read pbooks and had finished with them I either gave them to friends or donated them to Charity Shops. I can no longer do that. Instead they rest in my book store library consuming their disk space. Would it not be an idea to enable you to donate a DRM ebooks to a registered charity, and for publishers to allow them to reset the DRM restrictions to enable the charity to resell the book cheaply to raise money for good causes.

Times change - not always for the better.
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
There is one sad consequence of DRM'ing books. Charities loose out. When I read pbooks and had finished with them I either gave them to friends or donated them to Charity Shops. I can no longer do that. Instead they rest in my book store library consuming their disk space. Would it not be an idea to enable you to donate a DRM ebooks to a registered charity, and for publishers to allow them to reset the DRM restrictions to enable the charity to resell the book cheaply to raise money for good causes.

Times change - not always for the better.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with DRM. Why bring that into it? The fact that you can't donate your books to charity is due to the fact that ownership of digital media can't generally be transferred. It has nothing to do with DRM. You can't give your Apple iTunes music to charity either, and they have no DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #22
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
When I got my kindle I was given a pile of books from 3 different friends. I know for a fact they wiped them when they gave them to me. They all went OOOOOooooooooo welcome to the darkside and let me clean up my ereader of all the stuff I have finished with so I can fill it up with new stuff. Do I think I did anything wrong, not at all. I know they did not share them with anybody else none knew each other and I was the first person each knew with an ebook reader.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
When I got my kindle I was given a pile of books from 3 different friends. I know for a fact they wiped them when they gave them to me. They all went OOOOOooooooooo welcome to the darkside and let me clean up my ereader of all the stuff I have finished with so I can fill it up with new stuff. Do I think I did anything wrong, not at all. I know they did not share them with anybody else none knew each other and I was the first person each knew with an ebook reader.

applesauce
You see nothing wrong with giving pirated books to people, or accepting them yourself? I'm afraid we'll have to agree to differ about that.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
You see nothing wrong with giving pirated books to people, or accepting them yourself? I'm afraid we'll have to agree to differ about that.
So Harry, you don't lend ideas to others? Or are we to blindly accept the notion that e-ideas are somehow different than ideas printed on paper, and not able to be lent?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That is correct. An "idea" is not covered by copyright law; only a particular written expression of that idea is.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
That is correct. An "idea" is not covered by copyright law; only a particular written expression of that idea is.
Does format shifting alter the particular expression of an idea?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #27
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I just do not get it. i read a paperback I buy. when finished I always give it to somebody else. Does that make me a pirate. As I said I did not take copies I took their copies they used it as a chance to clear out the ebook readers in the same way we use to clean out our book shelves.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I just do not get it. i read a paperback I buy. when finished I always give it to somebody else. Does that make me a pirate.
No, because when you give someone a book you aren't creating additional copies of it, and so copyright law doesn't enter into the picture.

Quote:
As I said I did not take copies I took their copies they used it as a chance to clear out the ebook readers in the same way we use to clean out our book shelves.
Please read your Kindle License Agreement.. The section headed "Use of Digital Content" says, does it not:

Quote:
Upon your download of Digital Content and payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes), the Content Provider grants you a non-exclusive right to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Kindle or a Reading Application or as otherwise permitted as part of the Service, solely on the number of Kindles or Other Devices specified in the Kindle Store, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use.
"Solely for your personal ... use". ie, you can't give it to somebody else.

That's why what you're doing is wrong.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #29
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I see nothing wrong in what he did. The people who gave him their copies didn't keep copies for themselves they simply gave him theirs. Just as what would happen with a paper book.

I don't give a rat's a$$ what Amazon and all the publishers try to convince us of doing. If I have bought the book whether paper or ebook, it is mine to do as I wish. If I choose to give away an ebook I have and delete it from my pc, that is my right to do just as it is my right to give away one of my paperbacks. I'm not selling it & not making a profit from it, but I'm making space on my pc/reader for another book.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I see nothing wrong in what he did. The people who gave him their copies didn't keep copies for themselves they simply gave him theirs. Just as what would happen with a paper book.
No, they still have a copy in their Amazon archive. That's what makes it piracy.