Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
sanketsu
Edge User
sanketsu began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge - Ice Blue
Location of e-ink image shown when power is off

I've looked around the forums here, and dug through the archives of the old Edge Forum and found a wealth of information as to how to customize my EE in so many great ways.

I got my EE at the beginning of the semester for several reasons, the main being so I can carry around one device that's about the size of a good length novel, that has all of my college books on it. I've had an interest in Android since before I got my Samsung Epic 4g last X-mas season. Shortly after that, my buddy got his hands on the PE and I was hooked and determined to get one.

I've found the exact pixel measurements for the both the e-ink and tablet screens, and I can crop images in The GIMP on my desktop to the sizes for things to be centered well. I even found an app in the market that (thanks to you all for the workaround to get the market on the EE by the way, lucky I had my Epic for that) gets around the funky compression that makes any picture you set as the tablet wallpaper rather pixelated (Wallpaper Wizardrii). Found that after much digging about where the OS stores the wallpaper and trying to find an app that would allow me to do cropping like I can do in the GIMP.

Anyway, enough of my story, on to my question...

I know where the tablet wallpaper is saved and what size the tablet and e-ink images need to be for it to look good and be centered nicely. My only issue now is I can't seem to find where the file is that the Edge puts on the e-ink screen when you power it down. I /could/ just pop the battery out every time I shunt the thing down, but I'm not quite sure how healthy that is for the device. I've noticed some people had been directed to a thread on the old forum to a file named mct_active.ppm, which is cool to know, but it happens to be the image shown when you turn the device on, when the e-ink shows "initializing" with a pile of books, but is /not/ the file I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is the "This is the power button, this is where your stylus is located" image.

tl;dr
Where is the file located that is used for the e-ink image when the Edge is powered off?
sanketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
If I might ask, why do you want that image?

If you are looking to replace it with another image as the default you can do that through the menus system. In fact the e-ink screen on my EE has a picture my daughter created as the default image.

If you are looking to have a different image at each startup then you will need to write a program to interact with the menu options and change the default - not an easy task methinks.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
sanketsu
Edge User

My apologies, I typed that up rather late last night and must have input too much confusing additional information.

When you turn the device off there is an image shown on the e-ink side, and that is what I'm looking to change. I've attached a picture of my eDGe in the powered off state to show exactly what I'm looking for.

And to answer your question, at this point, I'm well aware of where the power button and stylus are, and would like to have something a bit more personalized as the image there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-30 13.49.15.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	79496  

Last edited by sanketsu; 11-30-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer a question
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketsu View Post
My apologies, I typed that up rather late last night and must have input too much confusing additional information.

When you turn the device off there is an image shown on the e-ink side, and that is what I'm looking to change. I've attached a picture of my eDGe in the powered off state to show exactly what I'm looking for.

And to answer your question, at this point, I'm well aware of where the power button and stylus are, and would like to have something a bit more personalized as the image there.

To change the image:

1. Locate an image using ES File Explorer
2. Touch the image and it should open in the Gallery
3. Press MENU and Select Set As
4. Select Reader Wallpaper

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-30-2011 at 04:35 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
sanketsu
Edge User

@obsessed2

Thank you for your feedback, I've now attached a picture of my eDGe with the power on just to prove that I'm not some loon who's having trouble following instructions as to how to change wallpapers.

I've done my research and found LCD wallpaper image should be 1195x1024 to be optimized, and 1200x828 for the e-ink, and I have no issues finding images and making them the requisite size for them to be well centered and such. I've even found a way to circumvent the minor pixelation that occurs when you set a wallpaper for the tablet side.

That is not what I'm questing for, unless for some weird reason the wallpaper (when set like you instruct) is supposed to remain when the device is shut off. In that case I've got something funky with my eDGe and should be digging elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-30 14.36.05.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	79497  

Last edited by sanketsu; 11-30-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to upload picture, my apologies.
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@obsessed2

Thank you for your feedback, I've now attached a picture of my eDGe with the power on just to prove that I'm not some loon who's having trouble following instructions as to how to change wallpapers.

I've done my research and found LCD wallpaper image should be 1195x1024 to be optimized, and 1200x828 for the e-ink, and I have no issues finding images and making them the requisite size for them to be well centered and such. I've even found a way to circumvent the minor pixelation that occurs when you set a wallpaper for the tablet side.

That is not what I'm questing for, unless for some weird reason the wallpaper (when set like you instruct) is supposed to remain when the device is shut off. In that case I've got something funky with my eDGe and should be digging elsewhere.
Whatever the last image is on the e-ink screen will remain there when the EE is switched off. This is the big advantage of e-ink technology - the image is static until changed.

Now the question is, what did.do you expect to happen on the e-ink screen?

What does happen when the EE is switched on, the unit boots up and towards the end of the boot process the e-ink is initialised and the initialising screen is shown, at the end of the boot process the set background image is processed and displayed - that image will remain until changed by you, either by opening a book or replacing the image with another.

I hope this clears up what you are trying to do.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
sanketsu
Edge User

@ivanjt

Thank you as well for your feedback as well, I appreciate you guys getting back to me so quickly.

I've made a video and posted it on youtube to better illustrate what I experience and what I'm looking for, hopefully that will clear up what's happening on my end... And I apologize for the delay, my phone was being a butt about uploading for a bit there. Hope this works.

Video here

Last edited by sanketsu; 11-30-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: youtube tag didn't work, replaced with normal link.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Jeff Butler
Jeff Butler began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Maybe it's a full size edge qwerk. On my PE, it does indeed hold the e-ink background even with the pwer off. On your full size Edge, it gets reinitialized to the shutdown screen...

Jeff
Jeff Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
Quote:
I've looked around the forums here, and dug through the archives of the old Edge Forum and found a wealth of information as to how to customize my EE in so many great ways.

I got my EE at the beginning of the semester for several reasons, the main being so I can carry around one device that's about the size of a good length novel, that has all of my college books on it. I've had an interest in Android since before I got my Samsung Epic 4g last X-mas season. Shortly after that, my buddy got his hands on the PE and I was hooked and determined to get one.

I've found the exact pixel measurements for the both the e-ink and tablet screens, and I can crop images in The GIMP on my desktop to the sizes for things to be centered well. I even found an app in the market that (thanks to you all for the workaround to get the market on the EE by the way, lucky I had my Epic for that) gets around the funky compression that makes any picture you set as the tablet wallpaper rather pixelated (Wallpaper Wizardrii). Found that after much digging about where the OS stores the wallpaper and trying to find an app that would allow me to do cropping like I can do in the GIMP.

Anyway, enough of my story, on to my question...

I know where the tablet wallpaper is saved and what size the tablet and e-ink images need to be for it to look good and be centered nicely. My only issue now is I can't seem to find where the file is that the Edge puts on the e-ink screen when you power it down. I /could/ just pop the battery out every time I shunt the thing down, but I'm not quite sure how healthy that is for the device. I've noticed some people had been directed to a thread on the old forum to a file named mct_active.ppm, which is cool to know, but it happens to be the image shown when you turn the device on, when the e-ink shows "initializing" with a pile of books, but is /not/ the file I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is the "This is the power button, this is where your stylus is located" image.

tl;dr
Where is the file located that is used for the e-ink image when the Edge is powered off?
for my PE,it's /system/esi/etc/pixmaps/mct/factoryreset_xx_xx.gz. the file in the archieve is the raw 8bits bitmap data. Try appending my attached bmphead with this raw data file ,you will get a standard MS Window bmp file. In MS Windows,the command should be "copy bmphead/b+factoryreset_xx_xx/b test.bmp".Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bmphead.zip (589 Bytes, 214 views)

Last edited by javese; 12-01-2011 at 12:24 AM.
javese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
sanketsu
Edge User

@javese

YES! Thank you my friend. You've now lead me down the path to the treasure, so that I may decode it's many intricate twists and turns, and return to the people with riches untold for centuries...

Or at least that's how I'm feeling right now.

I tried as you suggested, and tried some creative tweaking, and am no longer getting the "this is your power button" image on shutdown. I'm not quite getting the image I chose to use as a test image, but with time and trial I believe I'll get there. The system does now however exhibit the behavior as described by the helpful fellow earlier (The system set wallpaper remains through the shutdown process, which is better than nothing indeed).

I'll look into it further, it may be possible that the PE and EE images are to have different heads or somesuch, but the image I got out of the file was... quite distorted, like the individual lines weren't the right length, making the columns line up odd.

But again, thank you so very much for the point in the right direction.

Last edited by sanketsu; 12-01-2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Slight addition
Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #11
ivanjt
Guru

I have never seen the image you get on shutdown - not even when I first got my EE.

The image you are getting looks as if it is part of the first ever startup routine - although I never saw it on my eDGe - which is triggered on your unit on shutdown. It is not normal behaviour.

The only conclusion I can draw is that a startup routine did not exit cleanly or your upgrade to Ermine had a small glitch that triggers what you are getting on shutdown.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
I have never seen the image you get on shutdown - not even when I first got my EE.

The image you are getting looks as if it is part of the first ever startup routine - although I never saw it on my eDGe - which is triggered on your unit on shutdown. It is not normal behaviour.

The only conclusion I can draw is that a startup routine did not exit cleanly or your upgrade to Ermine had a small glitch that triggers what you are getting on shutdown.
I have to pipe up and disagree here. Like the OP, I have always gotten the "here is your stylus, etc." screen after a power-down on my PE, with very rare exceptions (which usually preclude a total crash, needing a reflash and re-upgrade.) This I can live with.

What bugs me is the "initializing..." screen when I come out of hibernation. Since I usually use my PE "upside down" (LCD on the left) the image is "upside down" to me. Any ideas for a fix, aside from Prozac and a nice nap?
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking View Post
I have to pipe up and disagree here. Like the OP, I have always gotten the "here is your stylus, etc." screen after a power-down on my PE, with very rare exceptions (which usually preclude a total crash, needing a reflash and re-upgrade.) This I can live with.

What bugs me is the "initializing..." screen when I come out of hibernation. Since I usually use my PE "upside down" (LCD on the left) the image is "upside down" to me. Any ideas for a fix, aside from Prozac and a nice nap?
In that case I thing we are seeing differences in production batches. Two of you have that screen, yet I have never seen it - you are both in the US and I'm in Europe - who knows.

I can see how it would be annoying if I had that on my EE.

One other thing to try and pin this down. My EE is updated with the standard Ermine update from Entourage - no rooting or anything added except the apps I use. What upgrade level is yours - if it is one of the modified Ermine updates maybe that is the problem.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking View Post

I use my PE upside down and the Initializing Screen is upside down at first but rights itself when the initialization is complete, even when coming out of hibernation. I'm running the original Ermine Beta.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-01-2011 at 12:06 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I use my PE upside down and the Initializing Screen is upside down at first but rights itself when the initialization is complete, even when coming out of hibernation. I'm running the original Ermine Beta.
I have the same results with my PE running Dingo 1.13; not rooted. It does not do it with the LCD on the right, though.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote