rachel tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
DRM exists to insure that the only people who can read the books are the people who have purchased them. In my household, my husband and I buy using the same account and use the same ADE account as well. We have no problem reading and sharing books on our two separate readers.

The problems begin when you send a DRM ePUB to someone who is not sharing the same encryption because they have books loaded with their own account and their own ADE scheme happening. Only one ADE DRM at a time can be active on a reader--the other books will be locked and unreadable. You may be able to load two accounts using Calibre, but having them readable, not so much.
Actually, DRM exists in order to serve the agenda of Big Content and it does *nothing* to serve us, the users. It's a real shame that people are so accepting of this "technology". Even worse, how people advise others how to incorporate it into their routine. It's kind of like teaching and advocating how to stick a needle in your arm in order to help the up and coming crack dealer on the corner.

Enough already....... you don't have to endure DRM. You don't have to jump through the hoops that are put in your way by Big Content in order to create ever lasting dependency and lock in. You can avoid the trap entirely.... You're not a slave.
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #18
maledyris
maledyris began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
Actually, DRM exists in order to serve the agenda of Big Content and it does *nothing* to serve us, the users. It's a real shame that people are so accepting of this "technology". Even worse, how people advise others how to incorporate it into their routine. It's kind of like teaching and advocating how to stick a needle in your arm in order to help the up and coming crack dealer on the corner.

Enough already....... you don't have to endure DRM. You don't have to jump through the hoops that are put in your way by Big Content in order to create ever lasting dependency and lock in. You can avoid the trap entirely.... You're not a slave.
So... What you're saying is you're encouraging us to get rid of all this ebook nonsense and go back to paper books... Right?
maledyris is offline   Reply With Quote