Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle (early)
Calibre works OK locally, but not from external IP

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Calibre Server 2.55.

I changed my router setup, and now I cannot access Calibre Server from outside.

When I say inside I mean a machine on the LAN, and outside means a machine on the WAN (like my phone using the cellular network, not my internet.)

I can access Calibre Server from inside by typing the ip address and port of the server (specifically 192.168.1.96:8787) (I changed from the default port 8080 because that port is used for my camera software.)

Previously, I had an Xfinity modem/router forward the port to another router down line (A Roswill WiFi router) and that second router forwarded port 8787 to Calibre on the Ubuntu machine.

That worked.

For reasons I don't want to get into here, I removed the Roswill and forwarded the port directly from the Xfinity to the Calibre Server.

This is not working.

As a test, on yet a third machine (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS,) I created a web server using Apache on port 8787, changed my router to point to that machine, and it works from both inside and outside.

Changing the router port forward back to the Calibre machine, and I am back to it working from inside and not outside.

Does Calibre (or Ubuntu) know if the request is from an internal or external source?

I ran the command "sudo ufw status", and got back "Status: inactive." This is a little scary because as I interpret that it means my firewall is off, but I guess it has been since I installed Ubuntu, but it also means it is not the issue here.

I have rebooted the Calibre machine a couple of times to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Mark.
Cool Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle (early)
I got it working.

I believe the network connections on the Calibre Server machine had some bad or old information. Namely, the address for the gateway was wrong.

I can't be sure, as I changed a few things, but the gateway was pointing to the Roswill router (192.168.1.2) that no longer exists. I changed it to 192.168.1.1.

Interestingly enough, I still had internet access from that machine.

At any rate, it is working from both inside and outside.

Mark.
Cool Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote