Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Text to Date

Help!

I need to extract dates from a comments-type column to a date-type column via bulk search and replace.

For example:
Code:
Published: 2015-10-23 Completed: 2015-10-28 Chapters: 4/4 Words: 4726

Published: 2015-04-17 Updated: 2015-07-27 Chapters: 41/? Words: 81868
I have the following search regex:
Code:
.*(Completed|Updated): (?P<year>\d\d\d\d)-(?P<month>\d\d)-(?P<day>\d\d).*
What format should I use for replace?

Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't know how to use named groups, but I tested your regex and simply replacing with :
Code:
\4 \3 \2
works for me! (assuming you use dates in the format day-month-year)

I'd be interested to know how to use the names you used in your parenthesis.
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think named groups work with bulk metadata s&r. I just do it that way because I can get cross-eyed when editing regex.

Tried \3 \4 \2 (#custom to last_modified) and it didn't work. Note, I have all my dates set to MMM dd yyyy in Tweaks.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I don't think named groups work with bulk metadata s&r. I just do it that way because I can get cross-eyed when editing regex.
The search and replace uses the Python regex. Named groups do work in the replace string.
Quote:
Tried \3 \4 \2 (#custom to last_modified) and it didn't work. Note, I have all my dates set to MMM dd yyyy in Tweaks.
What does "didn't work" mean? Nothing happened, the date wasn't what you expected, or there was an error? If there was an error, then what was it? Some detail in what went wrong and what you tried makes it a lot easier to suggest a fix.

For me it is working. For the replacement string, I would recommend:

Code:
\2-\3-\4
or:

Code:
\g<year>-\g<month>-\g<day>
That is the least ambiguous format for a date. And as that is the date you are using in the comment, the following is what I would have used:

Code:
.*(Completed|Updated): (.+?) .*
Or maybe:

Code:
*(Completed|Updated): ([\d-]+).*
with the replace as simply "\2".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

The last_modified date changed but to Feb 09, 2018 (today), not to the one specified in the replacement regex (and I did try several variations).

After several failed trials, I eventually created a custom column #modified with format yyyy-MM-dd and it worked there. Mayhaps last_modified is a special column or something that can't simply be edited by the user?

Curious, though, will a datetime column accept yyyy-mm-dd regardless of the display format (e.g. MMM d, yyyy)? Thanks!

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-09-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's pointless trying to change last_modified. Whatever change you make will get overridden immediately, since doing a search and replace modifies data, which means last_modified gets updated.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Was wondering if that might be the case after my 5th regex. At first, I just thought it didn't like the replacement format. Then I tried replacing with template {date} and when it still changed back to Feb 9, that was when I exited calibre and created a custom column.