Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
LilaQ
LilaQ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Interactive Menu on a Kindle eBook / Newspaper

Hey guys,

I'm about to make a newspaper for my company. My boss wants an dynamic menu for this newspaper just like the "Sueddeutsche Zeitung", where you have the main-topics in the left column, and once you 'hover' over one of these topics, the depending sub-topics appear on the right column (on which you can click, and jump right to the article).

How can this be achieved? I was trying to make an XHTML document, with an OPF and a NCX file, and run kindlegen.exe with these, which works great. But I don't have any idea how to create this menu, since CSS hover does not seem to work, and jQuery / JavaScript isn't available at all.

From reading a bit, I came to the idea that it may be possible with Adobe InDesign, but I am not sure. And I don't want waste time learning InDesign, when it's actually NOT possible.

So if any of you could give me a hint on how to solve this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jan
LilaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
I think your talking about Kindle's periodical format, this should be a good start. I haven't tried it myself but other people seem to have success with it.
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
LilaQ

Thanks, I'll look into that. Any additional comments and / or hints are still welcome!

Greets,

Jan
Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
LilaQ

Ok, I read through this stuff. But I'm not quite sure how this could help with the interactive menu? I am still working with NCX and OPF files, but there is no possibility (which I can think of) to make this kind of menu.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jan
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

The menu should be generated from the files you create, its a table of contents. So long as the files are set up to be a periodical the menu will appear.
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
LilaQ

So the toc.html is generated automatically? At the moment I am making changes to it by hand. Ok, I will try to determine how to set up the files being a periodical.

Thanks! I'll report back

Jan
Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
LilaQ

Okay, great. The guy who made the unofficial "The Guardian"-Newspaper posted his work on github, and hsi menu looks exactly the way I want it. So I can just work through his files and figure it out.

Thanks for this great hint!

Greets,

Jan
Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
wiccan2
Connoisseur

The toc.html is not generated automatically, sorry for my confusion. I have been trying to get this working myself also. I have attached what I have so far. It seems to work but breaks when you click view sections and articles. If anyone out there can get this working I think it would be a good starting point for a template that people could adapt to their own needs. I just can't help thinking that theres just one thing I'm missing that will make this work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip periodical.zip (46.5 KB, 122 views)