Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
My plain old .mobi file synched to last page read?!?

I have a kindle 2 with a "bought from Amazon" version of an ebook called "The Devil To Pay".

I took that file, stripped the DRM, and have a plain .mobi version of it.

I loaded the .mobi file onto my Kindle using calibre. I can see it when I browse the directory when the kindle 3 is connected to my PC by USB, the file is called "Devil to Pay, The - Michele Hauf.mobi"

When I open this ebook on the Kindle 3, I have the option to sync to the last page read. It worked when I first loaded it into the Kindle 3, it synched about a 1/3 of the way in which is where I'd left off in the Kindle 2.

Has anyone else been able to sync .mobi files? Does it maybe only work with mobi files where the DRM was removed from an Amazon kindle-store-bought copy?

Gwen
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi Gwen - I've never tried to sync these types of ebooks so I'll give it a go.

I'm having the opposite problem. One of my Amazon Kindle purchases (Magic Kingdom/Terry Brooks) does not want to sync at all between Kindle for iPhone and K2i. I've had to input the location manually each time. Never had an issue before and I haven't tampered with the book in any way.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 AM   #3
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
Has anyone else been able to sync .mobi files? Does it maybe only work with mobi files where the DRM was removed from an Amazon kindle-store-bought copy?
I read in another thread that someone had their ebooks stripped with DRM, loaded them manually via USB on the Kindle 3 and the same books disappeared from downloading in the Amazon Archive. So, the Kindle recognised that there were the same ebooks and ignored them.

It looks like Amazon recognises their own ebooks via the ASIN. Here, more info:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88432
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote