Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Odd question. I use mine all the time and still find it irritating. There are lots of people who are not very satisfied or happy with E-Ink refresh. Most such people aren't going to be terribly active here. My participation is probably just misplaced masochism while waiting for news of better things.
I know you're not keen on it, but honestly, you really are in a small minority, hence my suggestion to the previous poster to actually try it, rather than simply assume that he won't like it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So does the CyBook Opus, but if you switch it off, you soon realise the reason that it's there!
it gets dirty after a bit depending on the text but Boox has a refresh button on screen in the progress bar you can use every once in a while to clean it with a full refresh.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
It bothers me.
I tested out the Sony at the store beforehand, and was annoyed by it, but figured I'd get used to it. But, I never really did.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
shattler
shattler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-300
I thought it would bother me but I hardly ever notice it any more. When I read for a long time, it feels just like reading a paper book.
shattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #20
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If you don't want FLASH, get an iPad.....

Seriously, try blinking every time you turn the page, then you won't notice the flash so much.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #21
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
As long as the 5 inch screen is no problem (I pine for a 6 inch screen) then the Jetbook is a great alternative. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I've hit the button or not because I don't notice the page turn.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 AM   #22
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
Nothing is perfect in this world. Compared to the eye-straining backlight on an LCD display, the black flash on an e-ink screen is more tolerable to me. I could never finish reading a fiction on my laptop but I can read non-stop on my Astak EZreader.

Last edited by manifestor; 01-29-2010 at 05:17 AM.
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
We keep referring to it as a Flash which causes the conception of bright.
Blink an LCD/CRT display ind you get a bright flash.
Remember those "flip" digit/letter signs that used to be used in Airports and clocks? That is closer to what an e-ink display presents.
Bright light (sunshine) vieability
and really long battery life (days, not hours)
Make the blink worth choosing e-ink over LCD for a reading device.
Page turns are still faster than a normal human can turn a page (without ripping the page).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"I tested out the Sony at the store beforehand, and was annoyed by it, but figured I'd get used to it. But, I never really did."

"I use mine all the time and still find it irritating. There are lots of people who are not very satisfied or happy with E-Ink refresh. Most such people aren't going to be terribly active here."

That's the issue... some get used to the flashing, but others do not. I'd never spend hundreds of dollars on a device that I might not get used to!

OTOH, millions use their laptop LCDs for hours a day, reading, without problems. I also read ebooks on my IPT without any issues. I know I'd have no problems with the iPad, especially as its font rendering is so crisp and readable. In addition, the iBooks app offers you many choices so that you can tailor the display to suit your tastes. The page turning mirrors that of a real book-- you can even turn the page part way and see what's on the next page! (If you haven't seen that demonstrated, it's really cool!)

The multi-touch interface is also incredibly intimate and immersive.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
OTOH, millions use their laptop LCDs for hours a day, reading, without problems.
And equally truly, many find that reading from backlit LCD screens causes eyestrain. There really is no "one size suits all" solution - you need to find what works for you, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #26
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So does the CyBook Opus, but if you switch it off, you soon realise the reason that it's there!
Ghosting... Whole reason why it flashes from black-to-white-to-black-and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson
OTOH, millions use their laptop LCDs for hours a day, reading, without problems.
I find that hard to believe since most of us get very tired and our eyes are sore after a long day of staring at a backlit display for many many hours.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #27
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Ghosting... Whole reason why it flashes from black-to-white-to-black-and back.
I find that hard to believe since most of us get very tired and our eyes are sore after a long day of staring at a backlit display for many many hours.
Doesn't happen to me. Doesn't happen to quite a lot of people who participated in that eye strain thread either.

I generally ascribe it to bad viewing habits. Some people are genuinely sensitive though I'm sure, just as some people are genuinely lactose intolerant. In the right closed environment, you may even find it's the majority case, like on a soy products discussion forum. In that kind of environment, people will often say that everyone they know has the same problem, which may or may not be true.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #28
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
It's called the iPad!

And yes, I agree with you, that flashing on page turning on e-ink devices was surprising to me, too--and annoying. I know I couldn't get used to it.

That's why I'm going to buy an iPad.
Apple did not invent slate/tablet form computers. These have been around for donkey years.
The guy is after an advice, if you are stating your opinion that's fair enough, but at least say so.

I hope you enjoy your iPad - but please, please do some research before posting! iPad is in no way shape or form more superior e-book reading platform to a dozen other UMPC/Slate/Tablet form devices.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:54 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
If you don't want FLASH, get an iPad.....

Seriously, try blinking every time you turn the page, then you won't notice the flash so much.
I prefer the screen refresh on my Mini over that "page turning animation" on the Ipad any day... I am not reading a paper book so why simulate the page turning? If I read on an LCD screen I expect the page to turn immediately. And I should be able to do it without having to touch the screen.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #30
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I prefer the screen refresh on my Mini over that "page turning animation" on the Ipad any day... I am not reading a paper book so why simulate the page turning? If I read on an LCD screen I expect the page to turn immediately. And I should be able to do it without having to touch the screen.
I gotta agree with you, the page-turning is a gimmicky add-on effect that gets done on a lot of demos for things like Liquavista and Mirasol too.

The reason they do it is simple: It gives people the impression that they have more control and response from the book, even though they don't really. It's an easy way to take advantage of a fast screen without actually doing any work to make it useful, such as improving navigation, where real-world improvements could be made.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote