Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
I compared a Sony 300 at the store tonight, the Sony has blacker text. :(

This is frustrating.. I brought my PP with me to compare under the same lighting and the Sony 300 had blacker text.. not a lot blacker, just a touch blacker.. but it was enough that it was "nice" versus "almost dark enough" on the PP.

Incidentally, the Sony uses a better looking more robust Times font. Compare the "e" as an example.

Anyone else ever compare screens?

Robertb, is this fixable? Can you find out if the device is not using the 8th and darkest level for text? I feel it should be capable because I see here and there areas that are actually black.. like the update progress bar, the "about" screen, etc. I would really like it if the device was at least as black as a Sony 300 for text! I like the device, but as long as the Sony has a blacker blacks.. is this a controller thing? The 300 uses Metronome while the Jinke uses Epson Broadsheet..
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Anyone else ever compare screens?
Yes, I have; I own both of the devices. I bought the 300 for this reason. I mostly read epub files. Epub on Sony 300: text is well-defined and dark. Epub on Pocket Pro: text is thin and washed-out. I like my Pocket Pro, but in this respect it pales against the Sony (pun intended).

I don't blame Astak for this problem. They (and BeBook, etc) are just tweaking Jinke's firmware for their V5 models. If epubs are going to be the future of ebooks, the manufacturer needs to get this font problem sorted in their base firmware if they want the V5 models to be part of that future. Any well-done comparative review between the Pocket Pro vs the Sony's handling of epub is going to slam the Pro, unless the epub happens to contain embedded fonts. Most prospective buyers will be neither capable of, nor interested in, tweaking the CSS in their epubs to enable a darker font.

If Jinke would add to their V5 firmware an epub function similar to the V5's mobi font-change capability, and make it persistent, that'd be all they'd need to make me happy with the Pocket Pro's epub display. If that's not possible, just a change to a darker system font, which would also be used as the default font in epubs, would be a big step up from the current situation.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Is there a way to hack into the firmware or the .bin or even directly into the device to alter the times font insitu?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
If Jinke would add to their V5 firmware an epub function similar to the V5's mobi font-change capability, and make it persistent, that'd be all they'd need to make me happy with the Pocket Pro's epub display. If that's not possible, just a change to a darker system font, which would also be used as the default font in epubs, would be a big step up from the current situation.
+1
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I also would like more contrast in epubs, if this is possible please! (See enhancements sticky)
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
I also would like more contrast in epubs, if this is possible please! (See enhancements sticky)
Well I would not imagine it would be too difficult at all to implement given that you can change the contrast/brightness of displayed pictures. I too would like to see this implemented for text.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote