Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Topaz formatted books?
Who cares? If that is what Amazon has I buy it. 12 17.91%
Look around for non-topaz versions (fictionwise, BOB) but if not available, so be it. Topaz it is. 16 23.88%
Avoid altogether. Hello library or paperback version or just wait. 39 58.21%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If its a book I want to read, I'll read it. Regardless of where it comes from.

I"ll slog thru the lousy formatting, and just enjoy the book itself.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #17
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
I mean, look at this piece of crap font that "Death by Black Hole" forces me to use. The letters have big gaps in them! It looks like a freaking photocopy with the contrast set too high!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Death_By_Black_Hole_001.gif
Views:	304
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	22479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Death_By_Black_Hole_002.gif
Views:	345
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	22480  
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Wow that's pretty bad.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
I mean, look at this piece of crap font that "Death by Black Hole" forces me to use. The letters have big gaps in them! It looks like a freaking photocopy with the contrast set too high!
Drat. I was interested in that book, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
iBookMan
iBookMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
If you've made a list of books to find elsewhere because of the topaz format, you may want to check Amazon again. Several of the books I refused to get in the past are now available in both formats, tpz/azw1 and the far superior azw. Look for the newer publishing date (and maybe download the sample to be extra safe). They're all published by Macmillan as far as I have seen. Maybe our complaints about the topaz formatting and speed have been heard. That makes me a little less upset about Macmillan's higher prices.....
iBookMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think topaz books are a direct result of people clicking on the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" link... for those books that aren't available on Kindle.

If they get enough of those requests, they (working with the publisher) slam together an ebook and another topaz monstrosity is born.

I have no proof, but I quit clicking that link a long time ago.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #22
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
Anyone know how to convert a topaz file? Apparently, the first book that I paid for was a topaz. It's still readable, just it's such a large file, particularly since it's three books smashed into one.
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #23
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yeah, you can, but it is very painful to do. Google will find it for you.

Never again, for me!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoey View Post
Anyone know how to convert a topaz file?
The best single place to look for this kind of info is Apprentice Alf's Blog.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #25
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Hint: Once you figure out how to do it, write a note to yourself on the steps you followed .....

So if several months from now on a Saturday morning you mess up and buy another topaz monstrosity it won't take YOU almost 4 hours to figure out how to run all the scripts ... like it did ME last week.

To answer the question: I now own two horribly formatted topaz books and their two horribly formatted mobi siblings.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I do care, but will buy them if there's no alternative. Those alternatives will multiply when I have a mobile device that can get content from B&N, Borders, etc. (I'm thinking in terms of the next gen iPod Touch w/326dpi screen).

Amazon should kill this format completely, or at least make it possible to override the embedded fonts with the default.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm not motivated enough myself to do this, but if you like tedium (and it is important enough) you can always screen capture and OCR using a Kindle or Kindle4PC/Mac. Probably could automate this to some extent fairly easily also.

I did a small experiment with Kindle screen captures and Acrobat's OCR, which proved very accurate in terms of capturing the raw text. Alternatives would potentially do a better job preserving text attributes and formatting.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-16-2010 at 03:07 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote