Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Sony closes USA and Canada ebook store

Just saw this article on engadget. As we all probably already knew, this is the end of sony ereaders. RIP

They have sent out an email to customers:

Quote:
Dear Reader Store customer:

As you know, our customers always come first, which is why we want to give you the news firsthand about an announcement made today from Sony regarding its plan to close Reader Store in the U.S. and Canada.

Although we're sorry to say goodbye to the Reader Store, we're also glad to share with you the new, exciting future for our readers: Reader Store will transfer customers to Toronto-based eReading company, Kobo—an admired eBook seller with a passionate reading community. We strongly believe that this transition will allow you to enjoy a continued high-quality e-reading experience. As a result of this change, we will close Reader Store in the U.S. and Canada on March 20, 2014 at 6 p.m. (EST).

So, what's next?

You don't have to do anything right now, and you'll be able to re-download your previously purchased eBooks for a limited time. In late March, you will receive a notification from us with a link that will allow you to transfer your library to Kobo. Whether you are new to Kobo or already have an account, you'll be able to transfer your Reader Store eBooks to your Kobo account so you'll continue to have access to them in the future. Plus, any existing Reader Store credits you might still have in your account will transfer to your Kobo account to use at the Kobo Store. And of course, you can continue to use your Sony Reader to read eBooks from Kobo.

We are fully committed to helping you through this exciting transition to Kobo. With the Kobo Store, you'll have access to more than 4 million of the world's best books, magazines, comics and kids' titles, all at your fingertips.

We want to thank you for being such loyal customers, a part of our reading family, and for your continued support as we work to complete this transition. It has been a pleasure reading with you!

Sincerely,

The Reader Store Team
There's also a link to Sony's FAQs about this change.

It's also possible to opt-out of the transfer to Kobo, but I'm not quite sure why anyone would ant to opt out.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-06-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added extra info
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
They claim that the migration to Kobo should be "painless". That means that it will probably be very painful.

The end of the Sony ereader (at least in US) could be seen a mile away especially when they didn't release the T3 to the US market.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Well, damn. Unsurprising, but disappointing. So what's the prognosis for a firmware upgrade to be RMSDK 10 compliant?

Thank Alf for small favors, even if Kobo goes ADE 3 at some point, the majority of my book collection can still be Calibred to my favorite readers.

I guess I'll be scouting around ebay for backups to my T2 and T3 - I enjoy my Kobo, but the red Sonys with their buttons are still my favorites.

Quote:
They claim that the migration to Kobo should be "painless". That means that it will probably be very painful.
Yeah, I went to the Sony store for a few books that Kobo had in kepub only. Wonder how *that's* going to work.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Is anyone surprised?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read the article, it looks like they are shutting down the book store. Are they going to sell the e-readers as well and I missed it?
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Is anyone surprised?
Surprised, somewhat - but primarily disappointed. I was looking forward to buying EPUB3 books at the Sony reader store, where I could actually download them, where I couldn't at Kobo. I guess that option's going out the window now...

Time to buy the Baen books that Sony carries and are on my wishlist, while the store's still open and I can get the discount!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Here is the email they sent me:

Spoiler:
Dear Reader Store customer:

As you know, our customers always come first, which is why we want to give you the news firsthand about an announcement made today from Sony regarding its plan to close Reader Store in the U.S. and Canada.

Although we're sorry to say goodbye to the Reader Store, we're also glad to share with you the new, exciting future for our readers: Reader Store will transfer customers to Toronto-based eReading company, Kobo—an admired eBook seller with a passionate reading community. We strongly believe that this transition will allow you to enjoy a continued high-quality e-reading experience. As a result of this change, we will close Reader Store in the U.S. and Canada on March 20, 2014 at 6 p.m. (EST).

So, what's next?

You don't have to do anything right now, and you'll be able to re-download your previously purchased eBooks for a limited time. In late March, you will receive a notification from us with a link that will allow you to transfer your library to Kobo. Whether you are new to Kobo or already have an account, you'll be able to transfer your Reader Store eBooks to your Kobo account so you'll continue to have access to them in the future. Plus, any existing Reader Store credits you might still have in your account will transfer to your Kobo account to use at the Kobo Store. And of course, you can continue to use your Sony Reader to read eBooks from Kobo.

We are fully committed to helping you through this exciting transition to Kobo. With the Kobo Store, you'll have access to more than 4 million of the world's best books, magazines, comics and kids' titles, all at your fingertips.

We want to thank you for being such loyal customers, a part of our reading family, and for your continued support as we work to complete this transition. It has been a pleasure reading with you!

Sincerely,

The Reader Store Team

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-06-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: moved email into spoilers, as copied to first post.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I just got the email from Sony about the store closing. There's a link to a FAQ here.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Those of you with Sony E-Readers might want to take note of this message from Kobo..

Quote:
Kobo says its bookstore currently has more than 4 million titles, a figure that includes ebooks and periodicals. The company is warning Sony customers that "very few" ebooks may not be available on its store that people got on Sony's, and is suggesting that people re-download titles while the Sony store is up and running. The same goes for magazine subscriptions, which are not making the move.

src: http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/6/538...-favor-of-kobo
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I'm just hoping i'll be able to get my books on kobo. (becasue i'm out of the US) I have a few there.

Else, well, i alfed them some time ago, presiscly to avoid that kind of trouble
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
I loved my PRS 650, but now am elated with my Kobo Aura HD. IMHO the Kobo store is more convenient anyway. Hopefully, this will help Kobo to consolidate and become a more viable company. Will miss Sony nonetheless.

Last edited by adityadubey; 02-06-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Posted the email (now deleted) at the same time!!! :P
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just got the email from Sony. I long since converted all their books I bought to Kindle format. No way I would go with Kobo again as those guys don't have a clue when it comes to creating stable FW. This is so typical of Sony. They charge into a market area, create really good hardware, but then fail to follow through and be competitive in the market. For years the Sony eReaders were tops, but they were way too expensive. They never did get their store running well, nor the ability to sync your library with multiple devices. I quit them a long time ago.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
oldhaggis
Enthusiast
oldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Sony T3, Oasis 2
I too got the email, it doesn't however mention the UK reader store?
oldhaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Again, I am seeing that this is the bookstore. Has anyone received anything that says the e-readers themselves are being discountinued?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
tgill
tgill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Kobo Aura HD
Good on Sony for atleast assisting their customers, they could have just ceased operation of the store and abandoned existing customers like so many drm media shops have done in the past.
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote