Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Autocorrect spelling when typing?

One of the most useful (although occasionally irritating) things I find when typing on my iPhone is the auto-correction of spelling mistakes. I notice that, on the Fire HD, spelling mistakes are underlined, but not corrected. Does it have an auto-correct facility that I've overlooked?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
It will be under the settings under Language & Keyboard (I don't have a KF on hand at the moment sorry, but I'm going by the docs), it usually has the suggestions that come up above the keyboard as you're typing which is much better IMO.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Just checked - not there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It will be under the settings under Language & Keyboard (I don't have a KF on hand at the moment sorry, but I'm going by the docs), it usually has the suggestions that come up above the keyboard as you're typing which is much better IMO.
I just went there per your suggestion and saw nothing there about typing corrections.

Any other ideas?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just went there per your suggestion and saw nothing there about typing corrections.

Any other ideas?
It is there, just not intuitive to find. Press the icon to the far right of the Amazon Keyboard option to pull up a settings window.

Settings --> Language and Keyboard --> Keyboard --> Slider icon/button to right of Amazon Keyboard option.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-08-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm. I've got both "Suggest Corrections" and "Autocorrect" turned on in the keyboard settings, but neither seems to be working - at least not here in the web browser as I'm typing this. I'm getting words underlined which it thinks have errors. Where should I be seeing the correction suggestions?
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. I've got both "Suggest Corrections" and "Autocorrect" turned on in the keyboard settings, but neither seems to be working - at least not here in the web browser as I'm typing this. I'm getting words underlined which it thinks have errors. Where should I be seeing the correction suggestions?
Good question. I haven't typed much into my Fire HD but come to think about it I don't remember seeing any suggestions like I do on my Android phone. You might try it in the email app and see if it works there.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'll ask Kindle CS and see what they say .
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'll ask Kindle CS and see what they say .
I just tried it in the email app and it does work there. You get a black bar above the keyboard that contains the suggestions.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks. Pity it doesn't seem to work in the web browser, because that's where I do most of my typing.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, I see now what you mean. It all works beautifully in the mail app!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I couldn't live without auto correct on a touch device. On the KF1 is works great.

I use Swiftkey 3 keyboard on my other android devices. It has the best auto correct I've seen. It actually learns from you so it can even predict your words. It does an amazing job. I seldom have to type more than two letters and the word is there. I know the KF doesn't allow you to change keyboards but the one on the KF isn't bad. I actually like the layout.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I couldn't live without auto correct on a touch device. On the KF1 is works great.

I use Swiftkey 3 keyboard on my other android devices. It has the best auto correct I've seen. It actually learns from you so it can even predict your words. It does an amazing job. I seldom have to type more than two letters and the word is there. I know the KF doesn't allow you to change keyboards but the one on the KF isn't bad. I actually like the layout.
I'll have to check out Swiftkey 3 keyboard. the keyboard on my Motorola Atrix is terrible when it comes auto correct. It is too easy to not realize that it is suggesting a word and then I end up with an unrelated word(s) in nearly every sentence. I spent more time deleting its suggestions and correcting that damn auto correct than typing in the first place. I also sent out a lot of nonsense text messages and Facebook posts before I realized how badly it was screwing up my messages! So I turned it off. The auto correct on the Fire HD looks much better than the crap on my Moto. But then most things on the Motorola are crap!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'll have to check out Swiftkey 3 keyboard. the keyboard on my Motorola Atrix is terrible when it comes auto correct. It is too easy to not realize that it is suggesting a word and then I end up with an unrelated word(s) in nearly every sentence. I spent more time deleting its suggestions and correcting that damn auto correct than typing in the first place. I also sent out a lot of nonsense text messages and Facebook posts before I realized how badly it was screwing up my messages! So I turned it off. The auto correct on the Fire HD looks much better than the crap on my Moto. But then most things on the Motorola are crap!
Swiftkey 3 you can set it up to monitor your Facebook posts, twitter, blog and it really does learn from your words.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Anything ICS 4.0 and greater I think has the option for the new jelly bean keyboard from what I've read.

It needs to be side loaded if no access to the Google play store. Not even sure it would work on the fire hd.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Pretty good that it doesn't work in the web browser actually. It's annoying when it kicks in when you're typing in the URL field.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote