Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #46
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
It looks to me like this is not a spellcheck mistake. Rather, it is probably either a mental glitch or a muscle memory mistake - or a combo. "Black people" is a common phrase & it seems likely that the transcriber just let his fingers do the walking.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 AM   #47
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
It seems that some people spend most of their life looking for something to be offended by. When you're only looking for the bad, it usually doesn't take much to find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

Seriously, this is beyond a non-issue. The only thing sillier than getting offended by this is acting like a statement by a publisher is an indicator of the character or "true nature" of an entire company.
I can't figure out if you lot just don't get it or you are being deliberately obtuse. it's NOT the mistake, it's the callous attitude of the publisher.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #48
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Take it from someone who has made a career of banging his head against walls, some people simply refuse to see the obvious until it's sitting on their chests and beating their brains in with a brick. No common sense.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #49
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
..."horrific mistake, we're sorry...
Mis-programming your cancer center's radiation therapy machine to cook the patients is a horrific mistake.

Making a typo in a recipe is a minor glitch.

The big problem here is a matter of perspective: First, on the part of the people who reacted to an inadvertent typo as if it was, well, "horrific" instead of just a freakin' typo. Second, on the part of the ones who think this somehow indicates that that person, that company, or the entire industry are a bunch of callous jerks.

Am I a callous jerk? Um, never mind, don't answer that. But is my entire industry (I'm a website designer) callous jerks because I agree that it's a silly typo?

I'm reminded of a person I knew in college who reacted to everything that could potentially be seen as a slight (at least, if you stretched reeeeeal hard) by claiming to be emotionally traumatized and demanding apologies from not only whoever said whatever she got bent out of shape about, but everyone who was in the room who hadn't leaped to her defense and done something about it (whether or not they were even aware of it). She thought she was exercising power by demanding all these apologies and holding massive grudges over things that nobody in their right mind would consider offensive. Everybody else thought she was a self-centered whiner with severe entitlement issues. (and no, she wasn't a member of any identified minority group)

She never learned that strength is toughness, fortitude, perseverance, endurance ... it's the ability to withstand real attacks, real adversity, without breaking ... it's not getting butthurt over every possible way that anything anyone said, even if not to her, could be turned into something she could take offense at. She got her apologies, just to shut her up, but she bought them at the price of respect.

And again, there is no historical precedent for white people eating black people. It's not an offensive reference because there's nothing for it to refer to. Cannibals generally eat their neighbors. They eat their traditional enemies, or sometimes their own relatives, or if the legends that gave rise to Sweeny Todd are to be believed, the occasional barbershop customer. If it referred to lynching, that would be offensive, because it's a reference to something that happened. Cookbooks aren't.

Besides, any Kanamit cook knows people are all the same color when you skin them.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #50
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Presumably all the contributors to this thread who "can't see why anyone would be offended" will be pointing out to the Mods that, when a post causes offence, it's the person offended who should be warned off rather than the poster.

Would it also have have all been a fuss about nothing if the "typo" had read "freshly peeled Jew", or "freshly sliced lesbian", or "freshly fried epileptic"?*

Do bear in mind when reading the above sentence that any offence that you feel - particularly if you are Jewish, a lesbian or suffer from epilepsy - is your fault. And anyway, everything offends someone, so just chill out.

*I am not dumb enough to claim that these sentences exist only because of a typo, a dodgy spellchecker or an incompetent proofreader.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #51
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The problem isn't the typo. Anyone can make a mistake, and under pressure to meet a deadline, it's easy to see where someone could type people when they meant to type pepper. What is really a remarkable display of cluelessness, however, is the statement by Bob Sessions, the head of publishing for Penguin Group Australia:

"[W]hy anyone would be offended, we don't know."

Really?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-19-2010 at 04:58 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 AM   #52
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I don't see why anyone would be offended!, said Bob Sessions of Penguin group Australia.
really???? you don't get why
"...salt and freshly ground black people..."

would be offensive? it was an honest mistake until you called it "silly". now it IS offensive.

and these are the folks that we expect to be reasonable over ebook prices!
It was a typo. All books withdrawn (where possible) and replaced at a "huge" cost of AUD 20,000. Whoever wants a replacement of the book can get one for free from the publisher. Apologies, etc. etc.
Please read the whole article, not just quote one sentence.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #53
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
It was a typo.
Yes, an offensive one.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #54
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Firstly, I think anyone offended by the mistake must be pretty intent on being offended in the first place.

Having said that, perhaps the CEO would have been wise to apologise for allowing the mistake to slip through and be published.

However, either the mistake is offensive or it isn't. It doesn't suddently become offensive because the CEO thinks it is "silly".(as stated by the OP) Perhaps one could find the CEO's attitude offensive but if one didn't find the mistake offensive to begin with one shouldn't find it so after the CEO calls it silly.

Further, attempting to suggest this attitude is in any way a reflection on all the "folks that we expect to be reasonable over ebook prices!" is a bit of a stretch I think.

My 2 cents anyway.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #55
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Firstly, I think anyone offended by the mistake must be pretty intent on being offended in the first place.
But you may be wrong on that.

Quote:
Having said that, perhaps the CEO would have been wise to apologise for allowing the mistake to slip through and be published.
I agree.

Quote:
However, either the mistake is offensive or it isn't. It doesn't suddently become offensive because the CEO thinks it is "silly".(as stated by the OP) Perhaps one could find the CEO's attitude offensive but if one didn't find the mistake offensive to begin with one shouldn't find it so after the CEO calls it silly.
The mistake may have been both silly and offensive in itself - in that it offended some people. If it did offend someone then the CEO's response is also offensive since it seems to suggest that anyone who is offended by such a "silly" mistake is somehow wrong to be offended.

Quote:
Further, attempting to suggest this attitude is in any way a reflection on all the "folks that we expect to be reasonable over ebook prices!" is a bit of a stretch I think.
It may be a bit of a stretch but the way I understood kindlekitten's original point was that if the CEO cares so little about how what his company does affects people then how can we expect that company to take account of its customers when it comes to ebook pricing.

Quote:
My 2 cents anyway.
And, unlike many ebooks, worth every penny!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #56
Olympus
Connoisseur
Olympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket & Bookeen CyGen 3
View this picture with the ad from Burger King in the Netherlands

In Dutch "burger" also means Citizen so the translated text of this advertisement
"Only a grilled citizen is a good citizen"
so I really don't understand the issue with a spelling error
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #57
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
If it did offend someone then the CEO's response is also offensive since it seems to suggest that anyone who is offended by such a "silly" mistake is somehow wrong to be offended.
Hmm, almost everything's going to be offensive to someone, so I don't think that the CEO should be castigated due to "someone" being offended...

For example, I'm offended by your suggestion that I should think that the CEO was being offensive as to me, it suggests you think I've got no sense of proportion...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #58
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
It may be a bit of a stretch but the way I understood kindlekitten's original point was that if the CEO cares so little about how what his company does affects people then how can we expect that company to take account of its customers when it comes to ebook pricing.
Or he cares a lot. He do not want to have a society were people get offended by everything. One way to influence this is to not cave in to everybody that says they are offended.

To me he has a sound view and I trust him more to behave good with respect to pricing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #59
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's irrelevant that it was a typo.

Anyone who thinks a recipe that calls for grinding up and eating black people isn't offensive obviously thinks that singing 'Shoot the Boer' isn't offensive either and couldn't possibly cause any harm. What could be offensive about shooting goats?

Some of the replies on this thread are mind-bogglingly naive. You lot seriously need to get out more and realise that taking offence to something isn't an act, it's a a reaction to the fact that words have consequences.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #60
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
It's irrelevant that it was a typo.
Abso-freaking-lutely!!