Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
algol
algol began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Hello from France&Brazil! (depending on the month!)

Hello guys!

Just bought my first eInk device!

And now, anxiously waiting for the delivery of an UPS box, hopefully in the next two days!

Alberto.
algol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
hello Alberto
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
You'll find a lot of books in English (& German & French if you're interested)... & I heard of Spanish but not yet in Portuguese (even less in Brasilian ) ... but you probably already know all that!
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Alberto and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Et --au fait- si tu parles français-- il y a un forum pour nouz'aut'
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
algol

Thank to all of you for the warm welcome!

YGG-: Mais oui, bien sûr! Je parle la langue de Camus, Zola, Maupassant, Hugo...

Btw, in Portuguese (there is no "Brazilian") are not many "new titles" in eletronic format. However, afaik, we can find most of our classic literature in PDF. But anyway, I bought the DR1000 to read scientific papers... otherwise I would go for a smaller device...

I am seriously considering an COOL-ER in the near future, and as I am a big fan of typography, I am even considering preparing a small collection of well typeset PDF books specially for those devices in my next vacations. But in Portuguese only... :-)
Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hello algol and bienvenue au forum.

i think we have a few books in portuguese although not very many yet.

if you are interested in typography and beautifully presented books (i am too !) you should take a look at the epub specifications, using css you can really make some beautiful looking ebooks, even using embedded fonts if you like.

take a look in the epub forum and the workshop and don't hesitate to ask any questions !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
algol

Merci Zelda!

I know the epub specs... But I really like PDF... in PDF things will display the way you (the editor) want it to do. There is (generally) no fancy operations that the reader software will do to change the typesetting.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Hi algol! Barrichello or Massa fan?
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
algol

Hehe, actually I (should I dare to say: we ??) miss Ayrton Senna... :-)
Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by algol View Post
Hehe, actually I (should I dare to say: we ??) miss Ayrton Senna... :-)
Thrilled to have seen him in F1 action in Phoenix ('89 DNF, '90 1st, '91 1st) - such a sad loss!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Merci Zelda!

I know the epub specs... But I really like PDF... in PDF things will display the way you (the editor) want it to do. There is (generally) no fancy operations that the reader software will do to change the typesetting.
that's true, and it's often the reason cited for why some designers / editors might prefer pdf... as long as you are making them for yourself there is no trouble, but the precise reason you like them is why many people don't ; for most people, one of the advantages of ebooks is precisely that you can modify the display to suit you. for instance, i like to increase the font size when i'm reading in bed without my glasses to make it easier on my eyes. with a reflowable format like epub i can do this without losing any of the formatting ; the text will still look great, and as the designer intended it, but it will be bigger. with a pdf, i can reflow the text (depending on my device...) however when i do that i lose the formatting, which gives a very unsatisfactory result. another reason is that some people really like to use sans-serif fonts for their books. i really dislike those for the body text because i find them much harder to read, so i prefer to use my own preferred font. with epub books this is not a problem, but just try to change the font in a pdf ! (of course, i'm a designer, so i am really picky about how my texts look, just like you. )

anyway, to each his own ; many people find reading pdfs (as long as they are formatted for the proper screen size) to be very nice. and it does give you the possibility of making books which are formatted as perfectly as paper, with control of kerning, etc. which is not possible with automatic justification (on reflowable texts). the important thing after all is to be making nice ebooks ! but do take another look at epub ; you can really do some amazing things with it, and for someone who loves typography i think you might discover you like it a lot !
Old 05-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
algol

zelda_pinwheel, I agree with you about the possibilities of the ePub. I will take another look at it, since I've never actually even tried to use it (as I said, I just know the specs).

Btw, do you know if there is any way to generate ePub from (La)TeX source files?

PS: It is heresy to use a sans-serif for typesetting the body of the text! I only consider doing this when I need to typeset documents that my most terrible enemies will be obliged to read... such as the jury of my PhD thesis, for example! just kidding... or not!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
zelda_pinwheel, I agree with you about the possibilities of the ePub. I will take another look at it, since I've never actually even tried to use it (as I said, I just know the specs).
great news ! let us know if you have any questions. take a look in the epub forum for a lot of help and information.

Quote:
Btw, do you know if there is any way to generate ePub from (La)TeX source files?
i don't know, but if you ask in the epub forum, i'm sure someone can help you with that.

Quote:
PS: It is heresy to use a sans-serif for typesetting the body of the text! I only consider doing this when I need to typeset documents that my most terrible enemies will be obliged to read... such as the jury of my PhD thesis, for example! just kidding... or not!
glad to see you're a man of refinement and culture.