Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #76
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Has anyone tried to install this directly on 2.5.0? I'm trying but nothing shows up. So I wonder if everyone here installed before the upgrade, and now installation somehow is disabled. I mean, I get the upgrade screen, check that everything went well, and then there's no custom commands section in the library?
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #77
Aydan
Connoisseur
Aydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with others

Device: Kobo Touch
see here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
That's just because the plugin is checking to see which firmware version you have before it starts, and when it sees that you're not using 2.4 it exits. If you tell it that 2.5 is OK, it works just fine. Add these lines to kobotweaks.ini:
Code:
[Global]
compatFirmware=2.5.0
Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #78
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydan View Post
see here:
I did that, but my ini file had the wrong name
thanks for the quick reply!
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #79
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
In git wiki is said there's an option to hide page numbers. I installed the latest version of the Tweak but I don't have the option.

PS: what is the airplane mode?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #80
Simba51
Simba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo & Kobo Mini
As KOBO not listening at all these clients for these update firmware because still no change in 2.5.1 to this there are not really there still the possibility of bar progression of the book epub as in the "Firmware 2.1.x Plugin Alpha version" of Ikarus9999 plug'in with this? This really miss much, really really not great.
Simba51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #81
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Bug in 2.5.1? "Tools" menubar is shifted vertically

one more point: under firmware 2.5.1 there is a considerable vertical offset (towards the top) of the menu bar invoked with the "tools" - before I could see the whole list of tweaks I had inserted, now two or three of them go off screen.

Last edited by paola; 05-04-2013 at 08:36 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #82
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
one more point: under firmware 2.5.1 there is a considerable vertical offset (towards the top) of the menu bar invoked with the "tools" - before I could see the whole list of tweaks I had inserted, now two or three of them go off screen.
I have the same problem on my Mini, not on my Glo.
I presume it's due to resolution.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #83
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingyar View Post
I have the same problem on my Mini, not on my Glo.
I presume it's due to resolution.
ah, good to know: did it work ok with previous firmware?

EDIT: it would be great if this could be fixed somehow...

Last edited by paola; 05-04-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #84
goenieg
goenieg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
confused

Hello all,

Got my Kobo Glo yesterday, and of course the first thing to do was to look up some hacks
(all I really want to do is remove the annoying page count footer)

I came upon this thread, read it all, but unfortunately no result so far.

I hooked up the glo, copied the tgz to .kobo, rebooted

but nothing helped. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

I found out that you need to create your own kobotweaks.ini (right?), and I assume you place it in the .kobo dir too

Here's the ini I made (with no result whatsoever after rebooting)

[Global]
compatFirmware=2.5.1

[Tweaks]
hideShop=true
hideWishlist=true

[CustomCommands]
Reboot=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"busybox reboot\")
Launcher=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher/KoboLauncher.sh\")

[Reader]
showProgress=false
tweakFooter=true

Last edited by goenieg; 05-05-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Found something, cried happy tears, still doesn't work....
goenieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #85
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I've stumbled through this whole confusing process as well, because I wanted to get the new Night Mode working. The problem is that they always leave something out of the initial description. I think it's great that people innovate, but they need to learn to recognize that no one else knows what to do next and that they must learn to write instructions for humans almost as precisely as they write them for machines!

The first obstacle I had was the lack of knowing the compatFirmware=2.5.1 was necessary, which I found reading the posts...

The next bit of searching involved just where to look for the new menu, etc. A bit tougher as it was not easy to find. It ended up that going to the Library was necessary to start the Tweaks plugin which upon returning to the home screen would then show up as a Tools menu and with some other changes to the home screen.

Innovators, please assume the rest of the world is composed of idiots, if that helps, and tell us how your innovation works in detail. DON'T ASSUME we know where to look for your changes, or how to activate them if you don't tell us! DO GO BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL POST AND CLUE US IN!

Perhaps that's where you're getting hung up as well?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #86
goenieg

Hi TechniSol,

Thanks for your reply, I did try all the steps you described but still no tools menu and that damn footer is still annoying me. Did you make a kobotweaks.ini yourself too? I feel like I am missing something here, I do have telnet access, did the tgz thing, and added an ini file. Also installed pbchess-1.2.5 which I can activate via telnet (I just start up the .sh file and the menu shows up on my Glo), but I can not activate PBchess "stand alone" on my Glo (I can't see it in the menu on the reader, even after opening and closing the library).

As for documenting stuff, I am a network admin myself, and documenting is something I always promise to do, but end up not doing most of the time. I think there's a gene that prevents techies from writing stuff down in a proper way

I appreciate all the people making hacks like this, and getting it to work is half the fun (the fun part is when it finally works, and I feel a bit like a hacker myself

Last edited by goenieg; 05-06-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #87
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenieg View Post
I can not activate PBchess "stand alone" on my Glo (I can't see it in the menu on the reader, even after opening and closing the library).
so if you can have it work on its own, it means you got the passcode from sergey, rihgt?

I am not sure I understand the exact problem you have: after going to the library and going back to the home menu, do you see a "Tools" menu between "Library" and "Sync"?
If you do, when you tap on it what entries do you see?

Last edited by paola; 05-06-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #88
goenieg

Didn't get a password from Sergey, I just started the launcher from the kobolauncher directory on my glo. After that the menu pops up and I can start chess, and other stuff.

My problem: is that I don't see the tools menu between Library and Sync.
(I see Library - Reading Life - Sync)

Last edited by goenieg; 05-06-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #89
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I think there's a gene that prevents techies from writing stuff down in a proper way...
Uh, huh, I'm intimately familiar with it having done both hardware and software design & maintenance for far longer than I like to think about most days. The problem is the "I'll never forget anything and I'll come back and do it later when I have time" syndrome. There will never be more time later, you will forget things, and no Virginia, sadly, there is not a Santa Claus... The only solution is to be disciplined and write your docs as you write your code or design your hardware. With clean code and descriptive variable naming conventions, very little explanation is required, and you will never be in a better frame of mind or with greater understanding of your algorithm or circuitry than right now!

On the subject of people who have done something cool that they're willing to give to everybody else and do it freely with no expectations -they get a pass. It's sometimes hard to remember that you need to tell other people certain things when you don't even think about them when you're doing things -that's why I said they should think of everyone else as an idiot, or perhaps a 5 year old that they must explain all the steps to, at least once.

On your problem, did you ever see a screen after you copied the koboroot.tgz file to .Kobo directory and power cycled? There should have been a screen similar to the update process when you upgrade firmware and a restart screen. I then added my kobotweaks.ini to .Kobo , rebooted, selected Library, then books, went back to the home screen and had the new Tools menu option at the bottom right. Good Luck.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #90
goenieg

Thanks again TechniSol,

Just did a factory reset, and followed all the steps again (and I got the updating screen indeed). But, still no tools menu.

I see we agree on that other thingy

HOLD YER HORSES!

I did the tgz thing again, and alas, there's the tools menu!
*happy dance*
I am not sure what I did wrong before, but imma happy man now. Thank you all for bearing with me

Last edited by goenieg; 05-06-2013 at 05:13 AM.