Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #61
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Actually, no, not that one. This one:
http://www.amazon.com/Island-Blue-Do...dp/0440940001/
"Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott ODell. Text says it was based on a true story. I don't think I knew that!
I immediately knew exactly which one you were talking about, badgoodDeb. I guess that it made more of an impression on me than I realized.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #62
barb2cats
Connoisseur
barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle 2, iPhone, VIZIO
Several of my childhood favorites are mentioned above. But I still fondly remember, and occasionally reread when possible, books by Rosemary Sutcliff and Ronald Welch (Ronald Oliver Felton). I wonder if either author is available in ebooks?

I also enjoyed Madye Chastain's quartet set in 1850's New York city.

Barb
barb2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #63
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Long in-tooth childhood brought me to Denis Wheatley's works - especially the Roger Brook and Gregory Sallust storylines ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #64
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Ghosts Who Went to School

That was about when I was 6. It is amazing that after all these years, I still can remember the cover. And Mortimer and Wilbur.

I just have to read that again.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #65
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first "adult" book I remember reading and loving was The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, when I was 10.
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #66
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I should add Charlotte's Web to this list. Our second grade teacher read this to us. About the only thing I remember from second grade.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #67
Bytor
Bytor has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
I read all the Hardy Boys, Young Detectives, and a vast selection of sports books. But the First book I remember which really carried me to a different place was "A Wrinkle In Time" by L'Engle. I mourned her passing.
Bytor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #68
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Okay, just to make me show my age:
Tom Swift
Hardy Boys
Tarzan
Classic Comics
Dr. Dolittle
Uncle Wiggily
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #69
sriram
Nameless Being

Enid Blytons (pretty much all the books, including school stories), William (Richmal Crompton), Edgar Wallace, Sudden (Oliver Strange), Zane Grey, Louis L'Amour, all the Perry Masons, Agatha Christie, JH Chase, PG Wodehouse, Robert Ludlum. Too bad all these folks have since gone to the big Library in the Sky!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
The first "adult" book I remember reading and loving was The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, when I was 10.
Wow - that's pretty heavy stuff for a 10 year old!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #71
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wow - that's pretty heavy stuff for a 10 year old!
Not sure I completely understood the all the "heavy stuff" in the novel. I saw it more as an adventure story in a Twilight Zone fashion. But it started my love of Science Fiction and Bradbury, I went from there to Rocket Summer, and Fahrenheit 451. I actually ended up giving a book report on Fahrenheit 451.

I believe I reported it was about firemen.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #72
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

And if Bradbury were to rewrite Fahrenheit 451, what temperature do eInk screens burn at?
Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #73
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
I actually ended up giving a book report on Fahrenheit 451.

(the message i have entered is too short. please lengthen it to at least 5 characters.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #74
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I was 11 when I read Fahrenheit 451 and was staggered by it. The Martian Chronicles was a bit later, around 14. I was a geek before there were geeks, I knew of *no one* else my age who read for recreation much less read SF. It wasn't *cool* to read for fun. My parents would take the the family to the library once every two weeks and I'd spend an hour or so pouring over all the books, looking at magazines and reading newspapers from all over, at least the English language newspapers.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Not sure I completely understood the all the "heavy stuff" in the novel. I saw it more as an adventure story in a Twilight Zone fashion. But it started my love of Science Fiction and Bradbury, I went from there to Rocket Summer, and Fahrenheit 451. I actually ended up giving a book report on Fahrenheit 451.

It is about firemen. The protagonist of the book is exactly that - a fireman.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote