Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Samsung prepping Win8 tablet

It looks like Samsung wants to be the first out-the-door with a Win8 tablet.
http://www.bgr.com/2012/07/09/samsun...se-date-rumor/

Quote:
Bloomberg reported recently that Samsung has plans to be among the first to launch a tablet powered by the upcoming stripped-down version of Microsoft’s next-generation operating system. Samsung will launch a Windows RT tablet as soon as Microsoft’s new OS debuts in October according to the report ...
And the folks at techradar seem to like the upcoming MS Surface tablet a lot.
http://http://www.techradar.com/revi...1085839/review
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Rich, rubust, yet fragmented market presents too many moving targets for malware authors to make that big an impact.

What is Microsoft doing to spur app development and avoid another WebOs fiasco?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Rich, rubust, yet fragmented market presents too many moving targets for malware authors to make that big an impact.

Probably offering a seal of approval for making apps only available for Win8, then spreading FUD about file compatibility. Once the market has been sufficiently beFUDdled into submission, it then consolidates its position and talks about how it produces the best OS in the world, because "look at all this software that people are only developing for Win8."

Strongarm tactics and intimidation aren't a better product, at least in a healthy capitalist system.

Last edited by teh603; 07-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
They have deep pockets, and one thing is certain: they are dead serious about this battle. I tend to agree, this is their last big push, remains to be seen what will come out.

First, for "normal" apps, they will match Apple revenue split of 70:30 (developer:Microsoft). Once an app makes $25K, the ratio changes to 80:20.

Second, it appears that their "evangelists" and support engineers are made available to support ANYBODY who is developing for Win8 and Metro. Free phones are mentioned, a friend of mine talked about coupons for MS products.

Finally, in another subtle move , it appears that Microsoft has disabled ANY other platform from their latest version of freely available development tools, Metro and Win8 is available, dish out money for anything else (including shareware and/or no-cost alternatives for older x86 variants). Or stay with old tools. More:
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-on-windows-8/
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
It looks like Samsung wants to be the first out-the-door with a Win8 tablet.
http://www.bgr.com/2012/07/09/samsun...se-date-rumor/

And the folks at techradar seem to like the upcoming MS Surface tablet a lot.
http://http://www.techradar.com/revi...1085839/review

And the Price is??????
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I might be a bit old school (as well as just plain old), but I'm thinkin' the x86 version is the way to go. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
And the Price is??????
For a Samsung tablet? Just look for other tabs with roughly the same specs and assumed quality, then add $100 or so for the cost of Windows 8.

5 Day Later NecroEDIT: By the way, I wasn't being snarky or anything. The cost to OEMs for previous versions of Windows to install on their computers has usually been around that price point for the consumer-level SKUs, so it's reasonable to assume that's how much extra over a similarily specced tablet one with Windows 8 will have to cost if no one's eating a loss on it.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 07-15-2012 at 07:49 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
For a Samsung tablet? Just look for other tabs with roughly the same specs and assumed quality, then add $100 or so for the cost of Windows 8.
I'd probably assume they'll tack on an extra $50 on top of that. Just because.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
kitoo1
kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kitoo1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This means a lot for me, as mobile developer!

This is really nice news.. Thanks

solocigars

Last edited by kitoo1; 07-21-2012 at 10:07 AM.
kitoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
WatchAdam
Enthusiast
WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Surface looks pretty cool to me, but I'll have to see the price. I wish the RT version didn't limit you to apps in the Windows store. I'll probably be using this for writing and would love to be able to run writing apps besides Office -- like Scrivener and Final Draft. But I wonder if the Pro version will be more than I want to spend...
WatchAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchAdam View Post
But I wonder if the Pro version will be more than I want to spend...
My preferences aside, when it comes to Microsoft positions in this "battle of the tablets", I think that it is fair to say that they operate under:
- direct price pressure from Apple. Apple software infrastructure is not cheap, but it comes bundled in the price of the complete system. Whatever Microsoft does, they have to be very sensitive to the end price of tablets that will be offered by Samsungs and Nokias of this world. At first, the price tag of ARM Win8 has to be low.
- conceptual competition with Android. Unlike Apple, which is not offering a platform to third parties, Android does.

If I am not mistaken, Microsoft is betting that apps availability in this stage of the game is a direct confrontation with the Google(and allies). If and when they succeed in replacing Google as a "number 2", they can then hope to challenge Apple positions. But they can not go after Apple until that position is secured, they need to line up majority of hardware manufacturers behind them first, broadening the hardware variety (and pricing) for the complete systems running Win8.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchAdam View Post
Surface looks pretty cool to me, but I'll have to see the price. I wish the RT version didn't limit you to apps in the Windows store. I'll probably be using this for writing and would love to be able to run writing apps besides Office -- like Scrivener and Final Draft. But I wonder if the Pro version will be more than I want to spend...
Isn't the "RT" version the ARM version, which won't run legacy Windows apps?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Ankh
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't the "RT" version the ARM version, which won't run legacy Windows apps?
Very true, the PC binaries in customers hands are useless on ARM. But, there is a twist. For x86 (software) products that are still actively supported and developed, the future is Win8 on x86. Once that transition happens, Microsoft is hopping that support for ARM will become reasonably cheap (it is not only a matter of recompile, a separate round of testing is bigger issue) for most of the x86 software to evolve into something that CAN run on Win8 ARMs.