Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
duceduc
duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Japan resident buying a Kindle 3

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and am thinking of buying a Kindle 3. I live in Japan and travel to the US once a year for vacation. What would be the best Kindle version for me as far as choosing wifi or wifi+3G is concern? I have read several threads on this forum the difference between the 3 units available and trying to understand the terms of 3G usage outside of USA.

I was thinking about the wifi+3G (international version) unit. Will I be charged extra for using 3G network in Japan and while in USA or is it free in Japan and not in USA?

Should I get the US version wifi+3G instead? I have relatives from the USA who can ship this to me; thus, obtaining a USA address will not be an issue. As I understand it from amazon condition on 3G usage outside of USA is that I will be incurring a .99 charge per 1 megabyte for newspaper, mag, blog subscriptions and personal document transfers. It didn't mention anything about buying book and using their experimental browsers for additional fees.
Stated here.

Lastly, I will be 'jailbreaking' the Kindle once I get my hands on it. Either versions will work?
duceduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Try a Sony Reader no need to jailbreak. The US version can be shipped by Band H or you can buy the Japanese version. Know a few people with kindles in Japan....international ones...but never asked about the internet......connection.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't know about the international version but I went with the wi-fi Kindle 3 not only because it was cheaper, but because there was no local 3G coverage where I live. You may want to try to find out if there is 3G coverage in your area before buying a 3G model. If you travel often to other parts of Japan or out of the country where there is 3G access then it might be worth it to get the 3G model, but if you don't travel much and there is no local 3G access what would be the point in spending the extra money for 3G? That was my thought when I bought mine anyway as I don't often travel out of town much less to where ever the closest 3G coverage is, and since there is no 3G here I couldn't see spending the extra money for it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
duceduc
duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.

@'left'
I haven't looked at the sony reader but will see the difference between the two. My main usage will be using the reader for pdf files.

@crish70
My first thought was to get the wifi model only and use my iphone tethering app to connect the Kindle when away from a wifi hotspot. I also checked the 3G coverage for Japan. It looks 3G coverage are available for almost all parts of Japan.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
I bought a Kindle 3 Wifi+3G while visiting the US last year. I've used it both in the US and Japan, and 3G is *free* in both countries. Even when there's no 3G access, you can still access the internet through EDGE coverage etc. I would highly recommend it if you live in Japan!
Buying books is free through 3G, too. You would have to pay for 3G transfer of personal docs, but that's what you've got free wifi for... ;-)
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
duceduc

Dallista:

3G is free for using their browser & purchasing books while in Japan? Transferring personal doc on the other hand is not is what you are telling me? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Sorilla
Sorilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPod, Android phone
@crish70
My first thought was to get the wifi model only and use my iphone tethering app to connect the Kindle when away from a wifi hotspot. I also checked the 3G coverage for Japan. It looks 3G coverage are available for almost all parts of Japan.[/QUOTE]

I do exactly this all the time here, works perfect for me!
Sorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
You mention your main purpose would be reading PDF. Unless they are formatted for a small page size - basically the size of the kindle3 screen, pdf can be harder to read. I know people jailbreak them and use Duokan which can flow pdf but I'm not a user.

You might want to ask more about pdf.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #9
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by duceduc View Post
3G is free for using their browser & purchasing books while in Japan? Transferring personal doc on the other hand is not is what you are telling me? Thanks.
Exactly! Unless things have changed between December 2010 and now in Japan...
But you can use the (free) wifi to transfer personal docs, assuming you have access to wifi.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
duceduc

Thanks for the feedbacks. I have decided and ordered the US version. Just have to wait an extra week or two before it arrives to me.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
Barneyabz
Enthusiast
Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo and Kindle 3
If you are mainly going to read PDF then I would suggest the following:

1) If you want to retain PDF native format then buy the Sony PRS-650. It has a much better PDF renderer then the Kindle and allows for text reflow (the Kindle simply allows you to zoom in on the text without reflow so you have to pan across the book using the directional key on the keyboard - pretty hopeless)

2) If you want to stick with the Kindle (I see you have already ordered it) and the PDFs are books (not magazines) then convert them using mobipocket creator to mobi format and these will read really well on the Kindle (I do this all the time for books- never tried though for magazines/manga)

Cheers

Barney

Last edited by Barneyabz; 05-20-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Barneyabz is offline   Reply With Quote