Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: MR Book Club: February09 book nominations
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow 5 15.15%
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow 6 18.18%
Refuge by Richard Herley 13 39.39%
Poker Without Cards: A Consciousness Thriller by Ben Mack 3 9.09%
Prague by Arthur Phillips 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #31
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... where is everyone. We have 50+ voters the first two months polls.

Lets go people... let your choice be heard!

BOb
I don't know but I don't like it. If you don't vote, I'll give you a beatdown

Do you think that'll work?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #32
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Hmm... where is everyone. We have 50+ voters the first two months polls.

Lets go people... let your choice be heard!

BOb

I'm biding my time.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #33
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm biding my time.
You know, you are giving people bad ideas. Just vote already

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd be pretty happy reading any of these books.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm biding my time.
Your like that guy on eBay that waits till the last second and puts in his bid eh?

BOb
Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Come on people VOTE for Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. That's the eBook I'd like to read for next month.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #36
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Come on people VOTE for Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. That's the eBook I'd like to read for next month.
I might read it even if it doesn't make it.

Looks like Refuge is kicking some butt. But we still need at least 20 more voters to get around the same participation as last time.

Come on people!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #37
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
psst, will sell vote for karma.
Quote:
I'm biding my time.
Quote:
Your like that guy on eBay that waits till the last second and puts in his bid eh?

BOb
Or waiting for some decent offers of bribery before voting

(Pssst. If you're still open to bribery, I'll give you karma if you vote now. If you're up at nearly half midnight, that is...)
Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #38
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
There's only one book on the list that I have no intention of reading, so as long as that one doesn't win, I'll be happy with whatever is chosen, even if it's not the one for which I voted.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How is a book that is set in the future where humanity may be almost extinct contemporary?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #40
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
How is a book that is set in the future where humanity may be almost extinct contemporary?
It does say the near future, if you are talking about Refuge.

I know you had a lot of problems with the selections this month, but we really didn't have a lot of options. How many contemporary books are out there that are in public domain?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, from the description Refuge is much more contemporary than Down and Out. Down and Out is set well into the future and includes SF like techno stuff.

BOb
Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
There's only one book on the list that I have no intention of reading, so as long as that one doesn't win, I'll be happy with whatever is chosen, even if it's not the one for which I voted.
Gee are you going to make us guess? Tell us which it is and why... so we can argue... erm... discuss it.

BOb
Old 01-28-2009, 05:02 AM   #43
Trono
Enthusiast
Trono began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Another vote for Refuge, even though I'm not sure I will be able to read it in February. My V3 is in China getting a makeover (screen replacement), so I'll have to stick to p-books for a while.

Maybe a good thing after all - the p-books have been piling up ever since the e-reading took off. However - once my V3 is returned, the p-books go right back in their cave. I find it intolerable, now, to turn pages manually, and the books are soo heavy!!

This experience convinces me even more that the whole discussion about the reading experience with e-books Vs p-books is based solely upon habit. Imagine if the situation was reversed. Hundreds of years of reading on e-inc, and then someone tries to convince us to convert to p-books - yeah right!!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #44
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Gee are you going to make us guess? Tell us which it is and why... so we can argue... erm... discuss it.

BOb
I'm generally displeased with the way that psychologists and mentally ill people are portrayed in fiction, so I'm not interested in reading "Poker Without Cards."
Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
How is "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" contemporary? Is it set in today's society?
Closed Thread