Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
"New York Times best-selling author"

Does this have any meaning nowadays?

Thinking about it, I see it on about every English book in (e)stores. It could even be the case that I *DON'T* have any books *WITHOUT* this recommendation, apart from non-English books and classics.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Does this have any meaning nowadays?

Thinking about it, I see it on about every English book in (e)stores. It could even be the case that I *DON'T* have any books *WITHOUT* this recommendation, apart from non-English books and classics.
That phrase has meant nothing to me for a long time....of course, aside from crossword puzzles, the phrase "New York Times *fill in the blank*" has meant nothing to me for a long time also!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It has never meant anything to me. Most of the authors I like do not make the list and even if they did I would not care.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It means about as much to me as 'Dirty Socks Now Cleaned - Special This August.'
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
"New York Times best-selling author"

I have never bought a NY Times best-selling author. I am told they make very unpleasant pets; have a high opinion of themselves, are argumentative, eat a lot, untidy, and poop around the house.

How many authors do they sell a month?
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Nope. Hasn't meant much to be in a VERY VERY long time. In fact, it would mean that I would probably avoid them now. I am more into Indie authors for the last few years.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Most of my favorite authors never made the list - Verne, Poe, Hawthorne, Dickens, Haggard, etc.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I thnk "best selling" is relative myself. I mean what criteria is being used? If one publisher has 10 authors and one of them sells 50 copies of a book and another publisher has 500 authors and one of them sells 1000000 copies of a book then both authors (in the eyes of their publisher) are best selling authors.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I mean what criteria is being used?
There is a criteria. I just don't remember what it was. I'm sure wikipedia can explain.

I find the list useful to see what is currently popular and I sometimes select a book or author to read from the listing. Sci-fi and fantasy rarely make the list because they are primarily a niche market (I know...hard to believe). Whether you use the lists or not is really a matter of personal reading and is just one way to select new authors to read.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Totally meaningless:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffberc...tsellers-list/

Quote:

ResultSource, a San Diego-based marketing consultancy, specializes in getting books onto bestseller lists, according to The Wall Street Journal. For clients willing to pay enough, it will even guarantee a No. 1 spot. It does this by taking bulk sales and breaking them up into more organic-looking individual purchases, defeating safeguards that are supposed to make it impossible to “buy” bestseller status.
More, the NYT only looks at select bookstores so the people who know which stores they track, gaming the system is way cheaper, especially for non-fiction and specialty categories where a couple thousand sales in the right stores can guarantee a number one rating.

Even without gaming, it is possible to hit number one through preorders alones by launching during the slow summer season when no nane-brand author books are launched.

All the list reports is peak sales *recorded* in one week. Which can be done with high 4-figures. If the book never sells a single copy after that week, it still can boast of NYT bestsellerdom. Conversely, a book could sell a million copies over a couple years and never get annointed.

Lecturing gurus routinely buy their own books to buy their way onto the list and then sell them at full list at their lectures so the Bestseller tag comes for free.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-20-2014 at 07:49 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I count 22 different lists, as can be seen in the left panel here:

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...ence/list.html

The above science bestseller list has twenty titles, but most of them have twenty-five. This makes for a lot of New York Times bestselling authors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
It could even be the case that I *DON'T* have any books *WITHOUT* this recommendation, apart from non-English books and classics.
Yes, for the reason noted above. But if marked as follows, it's almost a dis-recommendation:

Quote:
A dagger (†) indicates that some bookstores report receiving bulk orders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I am more into Indie authors for the last few years.
They do list a few titles where the name of the author and publisher are the same.

I think the reason they don't list more self-published eBooks is lack of input from Amazon.

Somewhat strangely, the Bezos-owned Washington Post's bestseller lists don't include eBooks:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...6a3_story.html
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
I check the NYT bestseller list to see what is popular reading "Across the Pond" but it rarerly informs my purchasing choices, but neither do the bestseller lists in my country. Bestseller lists, for me, are more of a novelty/curiosity factor because I rarely find anything I want to read on them.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'd love to be one! I would find that rather meaningful. ☺
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #14
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I guess it means quite a few people probably liked some of the author's previous books.

That might not mean anything specifically useful, but it might mean that you are a bit more willing to take a risk on something if other people like it.

It's obviously significant enough to be worth putting on the cover.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
It doesn't determine what I buy or read, but it means something when I'm browsing through hundreds of book titles, especially when the author is unknown to me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote