Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do strip the DRM and put in a proper cover. But the issue is for people who don't do that and have multiple eBooks from Penguin with the penguin cover, they'll get the same exact thumbnail for each eBook.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Of all the publishers I learned to dislike when I got my kindle, penguin was the first and has held the position for 3 years.

For pbooks, they were my favorite ..

For ebooks - argh. They overprice and underperform.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And we shall include pBooks as well and not even allow MR members to read for free because that's giving into Penguin.
And stop having Penguin avatars?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I've seen that thread and in it there are pictures of the books ... with actual covers, not a penguin, what gives ?
At least 4 of the Dresden books came with the generic cover. I have every one in the series except Cold Days (just released).
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I do strip the DRM and put in a proper cover. But the issue is for people who don't do that and have multiple eBooks from Penguin with the penguin cover, they'll get the same exact thumbnail for each eBook.
I would do it if I had a one-step way of inserting the cover into the existing file rather than running everything through a conversion process.

I've got a few Hachette books that don't have proper covers either.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
It IS a cheapskate thing.
Why, because you declare it to be so? Are you privy to some contractual details we don't know?

Oh, and here apparently is the answer: They don't have the digital rights to some of the illustrations.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33452

It's possible that if you re-download some of those titles, they've sorted out some of the rights.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And stop having Penguin avatars?
That's Tux. He's from Linux. That's nothing to do with books and eBooks.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Why, because you declare it to be so? Are you privy to some contractual details we don't know?

Oh, and here apparently is the answer: They don't have the digital rights to some of the illustrations.

It's possible that if you re-download some of those titles, they've sorted out some of the rights.
It is a cheapskate thing because they don't want to negotiate for the rights. They'd prefer not to pay and use a generic cover.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I would do it if I had a one-step way of inserting the cover into the existing file rather than running everything through a conversion process.

I've got a few Hachette books that don't have proper covers either.
You do have a way of a doing it if you have an AZW3 version of the eBook. I know you have a Kindle and there is no way of doing this with a Mobipocket eBook. But with the AZW3 version, you can use Tweak eBook in Calibre to replace the generic cover with a cover image of your choice.

ePub is even easier as all you do is edit the eBbok's metadata, replace the generic cover and use the Modify_ePub plugin to replace the cover. That does it without converting the ePub.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

Except they, and other publishers, are still providing generic covers on ebooks just being released now. That post seemed to deal more with older titles where they didn't get the rights way back when.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I downloaded a Penguin eBook from the library that's from 2010 that has the generic penguin cover with no text.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #27
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I already try to avoid Penguin books because of their public library conditions, and reading these letters make me all the more determined to avoid them.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:24 AM   #28
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Come to think of it I have the "Earth Children" series by Jean M. Auel and 5 out of the 6 books came with a generic cover. It seemed strange but after I start a book I don't really look at the cover anymore so I kind of shrugged it off and forgot about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
At least 4 of the Dresden books came with the generic cover. I have every one in the series except Cold Days (just released).
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #29
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
What offends me most are their unreadable maps and other important images, like family trees, along with insane pricing. :thumbdown:
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
You do have a way of a doing it if you have an AZW3 version of the eBook. I know you have a Kindle and there is no way of doing this with a Mobipocket eBook. But with the AZW3 version, you can use Tweak eBook in Calibre to replace the generic cover with a cover image of your choice.
Cough... there used to be no easy way to do this for Mobipocket books. But now there's my Python script and AppleScript wrapper that make replacing the cover on a Mobipocket book extremely simple on Mac and relatively simple on Windows/Linux.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote