Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Penguin is the most cheapskate publisher

Penguin is using a large image of their logo in black and white as a cover. There isn't even the name of the book or the author on this generic image. So if you have a reader that uses thumbnails of the cover, you are going to be screwed if you have multiple Penguin books with the same exact generic cover.

You can't get much more cheapskate then not even making a cover with the title and author.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Penguin is probably the publisher that spends the most time and effort on its covers.

Which book?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Penguin is probably the publisher that spends the most time and effort on its covers.

Which book?
Almost every one I've ever bought from them had a generic cover with the stupid penguin. I have at the very least 30 ebooks by penguin. Between the generic covers and the horrible errors/typos, they must be the worst big publisher out there (IMO).

Which is yet another reason why I love Calibre . I can put the CORRECT cover on all of my ebooks.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Penguin is angryface.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Then it's settled, let us not buy Penguin books anymore starting now.

Case closed.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I only have one or two books from Penguin. I thought that's an error. Do all Penguin books have this thing as their cover image? That's hard to belive..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I have at least 3 Penguin books in my library (Kindle format).

Thumbnails work just fine -- illustration, author etc. I have no "generic Penguin" covers.

When I open it in the Kindle App, it doesn't actually have a cover.

I'd assume it's a format thing, not a "cheapskate" thing.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Then it's settled, let us not buy Penguin books anymore starting now.

Case closed.
And we shall include pBooks as well and not even allow MR members to read for free because that's giving into Penguin.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I have at least 3 Penguin books in my library (Kindle format).

Thumbnails work just fine -- illustration, author etc. I have no "generic Penguin" covers.

When I open it in the Kindle App, it doesn't actually have a cover.

I'd assume it's a format thing, not a "cheapskate" thing.
It IS a cheapskate thing.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
I only have one or two books from Penguin. I thought that's an error. Do all Penguin books have this thing as their cover image? That's hard to belive..
Not all. But it seems the newer books have it.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've seen that thread and in it there are pictures of the books ... with actual covers, not a penguin, what gives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Tell that to the hordes of Dresden Files fans on MR. The Dresden Files series is published by Penguin and if you can get them to agree, then I'll agree too.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I've seen that thread and in it there are pictures of the books ... with actual covers, not a penguin, what gives ?
Most of the Dresden Files eBooks have a white cover with words. Very poor as well. The covers in the thread are just graphics found on the web.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Penguin sucks. For Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series on amazon, all of the Kindle editions cost more than the paperback versions.

Not only do they charge you more for the book, it seems they also skimp on the cover. (I don't know that for sure; I'm too pissed off at the price to buy them and find out.)
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Penguin sucks. For Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series on amazon, all of the Kindle editions cost more than the paperback versions.

Not only do they charge you more for the book, it seems they also skimp on the cover. (I don't know that for sure; I'm too pissed off at the price to buy them and find out.)
You could get the free sample to check.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Penguin is using a large image of their logo in black and white as a cover. There isn't even the name of the book or the author on this generic image. So if you have a reader that uses thumbnails of the cover, you are going to be screwed if you have multiple Penguin books with the same exact generic cover.

You can't get much more cheapskate then not even making a cover with the title and author.
All the more reason to remove the DRM and use Calibre to download a proper cover.

/rant off
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote