Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #16
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I do remember the first book I read and hated, and that was "The Forgotten Door", a story about a boy that falls from another dimension into our world. On his "world", there is no crime, no one lies, etc. etc. Even at a very tender age, I had a well-developed b.s. detector, and knew that the author had an ulterior motive, another agenda, going beyond the simple plot of the book. I couldn't have put it into those terms, but the feeling was there.

As long as we're being so open and honest and exploring our childhood together, you can put the Sears catalogs on my secret childhood reading list. The women's undergarment section, of course.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #17
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
We also had two sets of eEncyclopedia
Oh Yes, That Brings back fond memories. We had a 30 volume Set of Encyclopaedia Britannica,andI remember spending hours and hours going through them.

Thought I have to admit to a guilty pleasure of going through old Argos Catalogs, that my faher had bought back with him from the UK. Could spend hours dreaming about the toys. Later on, graduated to the Radio Shack Catalog's

As for the classic SF, did't get into it till my mid teens, then discovered Asimov. Must have devoured every Asimov Book In the library (A palty half dozen) then spent most of my allowance over the next year trying to buy every Asimov book I could find.

Then In my G.I. Joe Phase started reading Tom Clancy, for all the detailed information of the weapons and systems.

Must not forget the old Pulps.(Mostly 2nd hand)
The Executioner (Mack Bolan)
Able Team
Phoenix Force
Perry Mason
Springblade
The Guardians

And also the classic comics
Asterix
Tintin
Archie Comics
Dandy, Beano, Topper, Beezer Annuals
The Phantom (The Diamond Comics ones)
Mandrake
Tinkle
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #18
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Enid Blyton - especially Famous Five
Tales of Shakespeare
Legends of Ancient Greek & Rome
Both these last two I've re-found in PG ..
LOTR
and I even read the bible a couple of times ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:55 AM   #19
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
i can't remember the first book I read. My parents have read to me daily nearly from the start. This are the books I still remember the best. I do not know the English titles of all of them, sorry.

Enid Blyton - read everything that our library had

Michael Ende - "Jim Knopf...", "Momo", "The Neverending Story"

Erich Kästner - "Das doppelte Lottchen", "Das fliegende Klassenzimmer", "Emil und die Detektive" ...

Otfried Preussler - "Der Räuber Hotzenplotz", "Die kleine Hexe", "Das kleine Gespenst", "Der kleine Wasserman"

Astrit Lindgren - "Pipi Longstocking", "Ferien auf Saltkrokan", "Ronja, Räubertochter", "Mio mein Mio", "Die Kinder aus Bullerbü", "Die Brüder Löwenherz"

Karl May - everything with Winnetou in it
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #20
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
After reading some comics
Enid Blyton - perhaps my first English book
soon "graduated" to the routine stuff
three investigators
hardy boys
Nancy Drew - ( just one or two - I convinced myself this is a girls book),

I enjoyed them but they were never my "favourites", I simultaneously developed an interest in "World Classic series" (mostly abridged)
My favourites were

1. Robin Hood
2. Treasure Island
3 Mobi Dick (faniced myself on the deck many days!)
4. Alice in Wonderland )didn't like it much then - too unrealistic for me!)
5. Comedy of Errors
6. Robinson cursoe
7. Kidnapped

(I guess you get the picture )
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:31 AM   #21
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I was so proud when I finished "The Neverending Story" by Michael Ende.
It was a really, really fat book with small print.
What this book basically taught me was that reading is not a chore.

And then there's fond memories of graphic stories like "Where The Wild Things Are*" (Maurice Sendak) or "Little Nemo in Slumberland" (Winsor McCay)

I recently realized that my mom had great taste in selecting my children's books.

* Spike Jonze is working on a movie based on the story
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 AM   #22
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I know I read books prior, but honestly the first ones I recall are the Choose-your-own-Adventure style books. Oh, and Mad-Libs (Holds head in shame). I could pretend I was sitting there with James Joyce, but I know it was probably a Spy-vs-Spy comic. A bit down the line I started reading various classics and then got into SFF and Horror like Fritz Leiber.

-MJ (I'm sick this weekend, so I might deny this post sometime during the week)
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:17 AM   #23
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
White Fang. Man I liked that book. It was some sort of cult classic amongst 9 year olds in my school.

Jock of the Bushvelt. Another dog story. A South African classic complete with racist overtones I never noticed as a kid.

Biggles. What a man. It seemed he fought through 2 world wars and flew everything that could shoot at other things.

The Hardy Boys. Devoured these.

Enid Blyton. Secret Seven, The famous Five. Tuppeny Feefo and Jinks.

Also read 20 000 leagues under the sea and a lot of HG Welles very young.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #24
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Looking at all the Enid Blyton Fans, does anyone know if any of her books are avilable as ebooks? I Checked on Fictionwise, but could not see any.
Same for any by Earl Stanley Gardner
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #25
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Looking at all the Enid Blyton Fans, does anyone know if any of her books are avilable as ebooks? I Checked on Fictionwise, but could not see any.
Probably not. She died in 1968, so there are no new books coming out that might motivate a publisher to bring out the older ones in eBook format to go with a recently published one. And, I don't think any are in the Public Domain since the earliest publication date I can find is 1928 for a retelling of Brer Rabbit.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Probably not. She died in 1968, so there are no new books coming out that might motivate a publisher to bring out the older ones in eBook format to go with a recently published one. And, I don't think any are in the Public Domain since the earliest publication date I can find is 1928 for a retelling of Brer Rabbit.
If she died in 1968, her work will enter the public domain in 2019 in "life + 50" countries; 2039 in "life + 70" countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #27
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Here're some books from my childhood I found important enough to read aloud to my own children:

Johann Wyss - _The Swiss Family Robinson_
Hal Gordon - _Divers Down! Adventure Under Hawai'ian Seas_
Madeline L'Engle - _A Wrinkle in Time_
J.R.R. Tolkien - _The Hobbit_ and _The Lord of the Rings_ as well as _Roverandom_ and _Mr. Bliss_ --- need to find a copy of C.S. Lewis' _Boxen_

and an illustrated (and much abridged) _Children's Bible_

Currently I'm reading Rudyard Kipling's _Captains Courageous_ having just finished Geronimo's autobiography, both an interlude from reading biographies of American Presidents (we just finished Theodore Roosevelt, hence the segue into Geronimo, since TR granted permission for the writing of his autobiography) --- still need to find a good kids biography of President Taft though, then we'll continue on through President George W. Bush, pausing on the way to read some history books I remember (a book on WWI flying aces, another on the Battle of Midway, &c.) as well as books on notable others (Winston Churchill we'll probably do right after Franklin Delano Roosevelt).

Then, I'm planning on starting over again at the beginning and reading mythologies / folk heroes starting w/ Gilgamesh and working my way up to King Arthur, interspersed w/ historical personalities and inventors and artists --- guess I'll need to go through all the biography sections in the local libraries, note names and birth dates in a spreadsheet, then sort on the year of birth....

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #28
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
A. A. Milne's book of children's poetry- "When We Were Very Young".

I can still recite fragments. My favourite poem was "Disobedience" in which a protective child warns his mother:

James James said to his mother,
"Mother," he said, said he
"You must never go down to the end of the town
If you don't go down with me."

The mother disobeys his instructions, goes downtown without him, and disappears. James James makes it absolutely clear to everyone it's not HIS fault. I really loved his categorical denial of responsibility.

I also recall, as a 10 year old, trying to borrow Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" from the local library. The librarian refused to let me have it. I am STILL bitter and twisted about that.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #29
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Good Morning! Awww shucks .... this was a heartwarming thread to start the week with.

I have a very clear memory of my first "real" book. Mom bought me a beautifully bound copy of "Black Beauty" before I could read, so it stayed next to my bed until I could read it. I would go to sleep looking at the beautiful horse running through falling autumn leaves, and wake up to see if I could read it. I was awfully proud when one morning, the letters just clicked, and suddenly I could read. After that, they couldn't stop me from reading!

My short list:
  1. Black Beauty
  2. The Aristocats
  3. Nancy Drew (of course)
And then it got weird:
  1. All of my Granny's Reader's Digests going back to the 1930's
  2. Same for her big stack of ancient National Geographics
  3. Grimm's Fairy Tales (the "real" stories which scared me and they didn't match up to the cartoons anyway)
  4. Comic books - Little Lulu, Casper, etc
And then I met my first scifi book: Nova

And it's been a wonderful journey through books ever since.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Currently I'm reading Rudyard Kipling's _Captains Courageous_ having just finished Geronimo's autobiography, both an interlude from reading biographies of American Presidents (we just finished Theodore Roosevelt, hence the segue into Geronimo, since TR granted permission for the writing of his autobiography)
William,

Who did Mr. Roosevelt need to grant permission for the writing of his autobiography to? Himself?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote