Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
adq
Enthusiast
adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
KIF: a native infocom interpreter for the kindle

So, I've been hard at work since I got my KDK hack working last week.

Hi, v0.5 is now out - got timed events working.

Please see http://adq.livejournal.com/110236.html for details and installation information.

Last edited by adq; 11-01-2010 at 07:09 PM.
adq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
vkeios
vkeios began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for doing this. I'm a big interactive fiction fan, so I'll definitely be able to put it through its paces. It'll be fun to see if Conway's Life or Tetris work on it.
vkeios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Oh. My. You are awesome! Can't wait to try it. I hope it's battery friendly (ie, I can walk away from it and not come back to a dead battery).
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
superb. Nice work.

I was wondering, if it would be possible to create some simple file commander in this way - so It will be possible to copy new font, books, etc without the need of connecting to PC.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Wow! This is pretty much the best thing ever.

I'm playing Adam Cadre's Varicella now. So far I haven't been able to get any zblorb files to work, even though ZMPP is alleged to support them. But most of the .z[1-8] files seem to work for me.

Thanks for doing this!
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
playing Alice Through the Looking Glass, version 3

from http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-...mesXzcode.html

looks fine.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
This is brilliant. Thanks so much. This sort of thing a prime reason I recently moved to a K3 from my Sony 505!
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
A new version is up with great improvements:

http://adq.livejournal.com/109022.html
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
adq
Enthusiast
adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hey, thanks all the reports and things; I've not checked zblorbs myself yet; I do know I'd definitely screwed them up a bit in v0.1.

As for a file browser - it would be doable, but you'd need to change the permissions allowed to kindlets - right now you can only read/write to a very few specific directories.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
adq
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkeios View Post
Thanks for doing this. I'm a big interactive fiction fan, so I'll definitely be able to put it through its paces. It'll be fun to see if Conway's Life or Tetris work on it.
Tetris (or freefall.z5 I guess?) almost works - its missing the timed events though. Ta for pointing me at that; needed something to test those with.

Game of life says I need a bigger screen to play it; tried hacking the font and it sort of works, but I guess it'll need the timed events as well.

GoL would work better with a rotated screen; must see if I can figure out how to control that.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you can write to /sys, you could do it the hard way with something like:

echo n > /sys/devices/platform/eink_fb.0/send_fake_rotate

Where n is:

0 for Portrait
1 for Portait upside down
2 for Landscape
3 for Landscape upside down

Unless there's a 'KDK friendly' way of doing this, of course .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-15-2010 at 09:34 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:36 AM   #12
vdp
Enthusiast
vdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you can write to /sys, you could do it the hard way with something like:

echo n > /sys/devices/platform/eink_fb.0/send_fake_rotate

Where n is:

0 for Portrait
1 for Portait upside down
2 for Landscape
3 for Landscape upside down

Unless there's a 'KDK friendly' way of doing this, of course .
There is a KDK-friendly way: http://kdk-javadocs.s3.amazonaws.com...ontroller.html
vdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #13
charliefx
charliefx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by adq View Post
So, I've been hard at work since I got my KDK hack working last week.

Hi, v0.3 is now out - many bugfixes.

Please see
http://adq.livejournal.com/109224.html for details and installation information.
I just installed this version in my Kindle DX Graphite (2.5.5 495460008) and try to run a couple of games but nothing happens.Then I try to add more games and I found this log file:

Quote:
VM Error
java.lang.InterruptedException: operation interrupted
at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:433)
at net.lidskialf.kif.KifKindlet$GameThread.run(KifKin dlet.java:621)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:694)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Thread.java:758)
VM Error
VM Error
VM Error
The games I tried to play are:

curses.z5
minizork.z3
Gumshoe.z5
troll.z5
zombies.z5

So, I'm doing something wrong or this is a bug?

Thanks.

./charlie

P.S: BTW this is my first Mobileread post, so... Hi!
charliefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
adq
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdp View Post
Thanks, will have a look into that!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
adq
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefx View Post
I just installed this version in my Kindle DX Graphite (2.5.5 495460008) and try to run a couple of games but nothing happens.Then I try to add more games and I found this log file:

The games I tried to play are:

curses.z5
minizork.z3
Gumshoe.z5
troll.z5
zombies.z5

So, I'm doing something wrong or this is a bug?

Thanks.

./charlie

P.S: BTW this is my first Mobileread post, so... Hi!
Hmm, odd, you shouldn't be getting those InterruptedExceptions at all; they'll be causing it to bypass the bit that actually runs the game, which is why nothing happens. Are you getting loads and loads of them in the log constantly? or do they only happen when you press enter?

It sounds like I'm doing something wrong for the DX; Curses definitely works on a K3 here, so its not down to some unknown game problem.