Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
r22003
r22003 began at the beginning.

Device: none
looking for a good ereader for knowledgable computer user

i am quite used to having to convert all sorts of media files for use here or there. i would like to mention that most of my personal computers have linux installed ubuntu 10.04 i like calibre and totally love open source. i use windows on some computers from my family and will use my desktop for conversions since i have a pretty old netbook which has no processing power and my desktop is only a p4 but it works. most of my books are pdf's i think i get them for free. i want to know which way to convert them and what is the best reader for me as i also read comic books here and there. i do not mind spending the time using any free software to convert the books, they are in all sorts of formats but the majority is pdf. please let me know if you need any other information to help me make my decision on what to buy. also i am sort of on a limited budget probably no more than 250 us dollars.
r22003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I think the most geek-friendly and customizable readers (i.e., you get to tinker with them a lot) are the Pocketbooks (please don't take 'geek' as an insult, I mean it in the 'I like to mess around with computers' sense of the word). If you read a lot of comics, you'll want one of the 6" models -- either the 301 or 302. Plus, they just reduced their prices so they're both within your budget. Can't help you on file conversions for graphic stuff though, I read all-text documents.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
As another data point, I will note that Calibre works great with my Barnes & Noble Nook ereader, and it is within your stated budget.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
I think the most geek-friendly and customizable readers (i.e., you get to tinker with them a lot) are the Pocketbooks (please don't take 'geek' as an insult, I mean it in the 'I like to mess around with computers' sense of the word). If you read a lot of comics, you'll want one of the 6" models -- either the 301 or 302. Plus, they just reduced their prices so they're both within your budget. Can't help you on file conversions for graphic stuff though, I read all-text documents.
I take geek as a compliment. OH and yes, I love comics too!
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
r22003
r22003 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i dont mind being called a geek at all doesn't offend me at all. who makes the pocketbook set of ereaders? i just want to make sure i dont have to use windows to transfer the files to it but otherwise i just want to make sure i can do all i am looking to do with it, because i want to just be able to read thinigs without the use of my netbook because it is slightly awkward to use in my opinion thats all.
r22003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Pocketbook is an Ukrainian company. You don't have to use Windows to transfer anything: the device is considered like a USB stick and you simply drag and drop files. You can make as many folders as you wish too.
A good point is that it reduces the need of conversions because it reads so many formats: PDF with good zoom and reflow capabilities, RTF, DOC, EPUB (DRM'd and not), FB2, MOBI, HTML...
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by r22003 View Post
i dont mind being called a geek at all doesn't offend me at all. who makes the pocketbook set of ereaders? i just want to make sure i dont have to use windows to transfer the files to it but otherwise i just want to make sure i can do all i am looking to do with it, because i want to just be able to read thinigs without the use of my netbook because it is slightly awkward to use in my opinion thats all.
You most certainly do not have to use Windows. I connect my PB 301+ to openSUSE several times a week to transfer books and such. Love my PB 301+, it reads virtually any file you throw at it. Plus, they just lowered their prices...good time to buy. I'd look at the Flea Market here on MobileRead, I see PB units for sale on there from time to time. I got my 301+ from the Flea Market.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote