Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
ksburgess
ksburgess began at the beginning.

Device: netbook
Unhappy Calibre Binary Install Upgrade Failed Today

When I opened Calibre today I received notification that an upgrade is available.

I have always used the binary install from terminal to upgrade Calibre and it has always gone flawlessly.

That failed today, which totally blew up my Calibre install. Here's the output I got - it looks like there may be a corrupt file?

Code:
username@homedirectory:~$ sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
Enter the installation directory for calibre [/opt]: /opt
Will download and install calibre-0.6.44-i686.tar.bz2
                    Downloading calibre-0.6.44-i686.tar.bz2                     
590% [=============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================]
                                                                                Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files...
bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 207, in main
  File "<string>", line 182, in extract_tarball
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 488, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['tar', 'xjf', '/tmp/tmpb2S1ru', '-C', '/opt/calibre']' returned non-zero exit status 2

username@homedirectory:~$ calibre
The program 'calibre' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install calibre
calibre: command not found
After getting this I tried to reinstall Calibre using apt-get, which failed. I then went and completely removed Calibre via my package manager. Then I re-installed via the package manager, using my distro's repositories (Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10).

This worked - I now have Calibre funtional again. However, it's not the latest version and I would like the latest version. Is there an issue with the binary install or have I done something wrong? I did double and triple check to make sure I cut/pasted the binary command correctly.

Help!

Last edited by ksburgess; 03-05-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: forgot to give distro
ksburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try running the command again.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Try running the command again.
Funny how things are fixed in software Don't get me wrong, I'm in the software business, and the first thing that goes through my mind when something doesn't work is "well, reboot it and try again"...
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
ksburgess

It worked, thank you for the quick reply Kovid!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
ksburgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Funny how things are fixed in software Don't get me wrong, I'm in the software business, and the first thing that goes through my mind when something doesn't work is "well, reboot it and try again"...
Oh I tried it several times

Didn't reboot between the crashes/re-installs and working however.
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yeah I used to be a sysadmin, and reboot was my first line of defence.

I guess its because software systems are among the most complex created by man, and as with any complex system, you start to see seemingly non-deterministic behavior, like the same action being repeated twice yielding different results.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
reboot

What is worse is there is even a difference between a soft reboot (Control Alt Delete in Windows) and a turn the computer off reboot!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
What is worse is there is even a difference between a soft reboot (Control Alt Delete in Windows) and a turn the computer off reboot!
There's even a difference between turn off the computer reboot and: turn off the computer, turn off power and reboot.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
ksburgess

except as I stated above, I didn't do any reboot, regardless of what breed it is. So that wasn't the issue in this case.