Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #61
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
For Cuba, how about Havana Blue by Leonardo Padura? It's a police procedural that gives a good feel for contemporary life in Cuba.
That sounds like a decent option.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #62
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Thanks for the Havana Blue suggestion, Issybird. This is the last day of Kobo's BookRiot50 coupon so I picked it up for $5.05. Can't pass up a police procedural in an interesting location.
You're welcome; hope you like it. I also read it with a Kobo coupon and the publisher, Bitter Lemon Press, has other interesting mysteries in translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
That sounds like a decent option.
I read it last year when I was doing a somewhat similar challenge (but I also allowed travel books and non-fiction--and then rather wished I hadn't). It surprised me that some of my favorites were contempory detective novels; I think it was because they weren't self-consciously arty or analytical, but very matter of fact about everyday life, as you'd expect.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #63
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I've got a good variety in my book list so far. I think I'll skip keeping it a secret.

Code:
Canada          Thomson Highway, Rez Sisters
United States   John Steinbeck, The Pearl
Mexico          Carlos Fuentes, The Death of Artemio Cruz
Cuba            Leonardo Padura Fuentes, Havana Blue
Belize          Zee Edgell, Beka Lamb
Guatemala       Rodrigo Rey Rosa; The Beggar's Knife
El Salvador     Manlio Argueta, One Day of Life
Peru            Daniel Alarcon, Lost City Radio
Chile           Maria Luisa Bombal, House of Mist
Bolivia         Edmundo Paz Soldan, Turing's Dilemma
Argentina       Adolpho Bioy-Casares, The Invention of Morel
Nigeria         Ben Okri, The Famished Road
Uruguay         Eduardo Galeano, Genesis
Brazil          Patricia Melo, In Praise of Lies
Venezuela       Romulo Gallegos, Dona Barbara
Angola          Jose Eduardo Agualusa, The Book of Chameleons
Zambia          Gaile Parkin, Baking Cakes in Kigali
Zimbabwe        Petina Gappah, An Elegy for Easterly
Mozambique      Mia Couto, The Tuner of Silences
South Africa    J M Coetzee, Diary of a Bad Year
Australia       David Malouf, Remembering Babylon
Indonesia       Andrea Hirata, The Rainbow Troops
Malaysia        Preeta Samarasan, Evening is the Whole Day
Vietnam         Lihn Dihn, Blood and Soap
China           Mo Yan, Reg Sorghum
South Korea     Young-ha Kim, Your Republic is Calling You
Japan           Haruki Murakami, Hard Boiled Wonderland
Russia          Arkady Strugatsky, Roadside Picnic
Kazakhstan      Mukhamet Shayakhmetov, The Silent Steppe
Uzbekistan      Hamid Ismailov, The Railway
Afghanistan     Atiq Rahimi, Earth and Ashes
Pakistan        Mohsin Hamid, Moth Smoke
India           Tabish Khair, The Bus Stopped
Kenya           Mukoma Wa Ngugi, Nairobi Heat
Ethiopia        Maaza Mengiste, Beneath the Lion's Gaze
Sudan           Leila Aboulela, Lyrics Alley
Egypt           Alaa Al Aswany, The Yacoubian Building
Turkey          Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red
Bulgaria        Georgi Gospodinov, Natural Novel
Romania         Ilie Nastase, Break Point
Hungary         Theodora Goss, In the Forest of Forgetting
Ukraine         Nella Bieski, The Year is '42
Poland          Stanislaw Lem, Return From the Stars
Lithuania       Linia Zilionyte, Born for Freedom
Sweden          Stieg Larsson, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Finland         Maria Peura, At the Edge of Light
Norway          Matte Newth, The Transformation
Germany         Jenny Erpenbeck, Visitation
Switzerland     Johanna Spyri - Heidi; Peter Stamm
Italy           Donato Carrisi - The Lost Girls of Rome
Albania         Ismail Kadare, Chronicle in Stone
Libya           Hishmam Matar, In the Country of Men
52 countries. I'm looking through the page numbers to see how doable this is.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 10-17-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #64
Marsi
Nameless Being

Thanks for sharing your list -- it's always great to see what others are planning on reading, especially when they've come to their lists through such interesting means!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #65
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

It's bound to change a little, but I think it's probably an 80% accuracy list. I'm still going to hunt up other countries and there's a few countries I've found that I am skipping for brevity. Iceland falls into that category this time around. Ireland and the United Kingdom fall into the read it more than its fair share. I could skip the United States by going Canada to Iceland/Ireland to Mexico, but I've got Steinbeck on my shelf here so it gets the nod as something that I have available. I purchased my Indonesia title today and I'll be trying to get the books lined up for the journey except the library loans prior to December.
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #66
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Some more statistics for those interested. According to some listing of countries by continent that I picked out of some less-than-trustworty Internet site, I am covering the following (percentage of countries visited):

30.44% of North America
58.33% of South America
7.14% of Oceania
20.37% of Africa
29.55% of Asia
27.66% of Europe
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #67
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Because you've got such an interesting list there, I'm expecting a "book report" after each. Just a couple of paragraphs will do. Your compliance is appreciated.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #68
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

No book reports.

I already went through directed readings in post-grad school, that was enough for me. I will probably write a little more than usual about each book over in my challenge thread on GoodReads, but no formal reviews.

I'm looking for a decent political map of the world. Something of a decent, but not too large size (say 2 or 3 feet across) and up to date. I wouldn't mind an land form/elevation map that has the countries listed on it. I'd also like it to be up to date. I need South Sudan on it for instance.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #69
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
I'm looking for a decent political map of the world. Something of a decent, but not too large size (say 2 or 3 feet across) and up to date. I wouldn't mind an land form/elevation map that has the countries listed on it. I'd also like it to be up to date. I need South Sudan on it for instance.
It would be cool if you updated your challenge thread or post in the MR thread with a map showing where you have been. Something like this:

create your own visited country map

This one is just the one I have used before and doesn't appear to have a BBCode output option, but it is easy to convert. I am also not clear on how easy it is to update, you may need to re-enter each country every time you update which would be annoying.

Here are a bunch more sites that provide options. The first from that list is a little more updated (includes South Sudan), but I am not sure if the output will work on MR.

An "Indiana Jones" style travel map showing the "route" you took would be really cool, but I don't see one in a quick search.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #70
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Nice. I'd like to do something like that too. Right now I'm focusing on a map for my wall that I could draw on with a grease pencil to show the route. I could take photos of that map every now and then to post as a low-tech solution.

Not easily embedded, but this is what my map would look like when done if all goes according to plan:

TravelTips for HomeInMyShoes
Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #71
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Oh hey, check out my GoodReads, it's from Big Huge Labs and I'm willing to advertise them because they make some pretty fun stuff for flickr as well.

big Huge Labs mapmaker
Old 10-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #72
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Wow this is all very impressive with the maps and everything Are you going to make some kind of passport too?
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #73
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Oh hey, check out my GoodReads, it's from Big Huge Labs and I'm willing to advertise them because they make some pretty fun stuff for flickr as well.
Sweet. I do have your GR page bookmarked to follow this.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #74
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Oh great, now a passport. I love little books and I think I might pick something out to record my reading travels in some manner, although the GoodReads discussion thread is probably just as good. I might create a blog for this as well, especially if I am going to end up extending this challenge to try to finish off the world at some point.

Oh good grief, I just found one for Absurdistan. 128 pages is a little short, but two countries a page would probably work.

I think I really need to blog this in some way. Maybe the discussion thread over on Goodreads would be good enough, but I might want to include other things and it would probably be better organized on a blog. I can create a map image in some manner of where I am, I'm thinking of zoomed in photos of a real physical map with the, as suggested, Indiana Jones kind of line drawing over it showing the route.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #75
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Don't forget the entry stamp when you start a book for a given country, and then the exit stamp when you've finished it
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote